2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. bananu7

bananu7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the physical dimensions of the bike and engine change at all? It would seem that pretty much every single accessory would fit, and parts and bolts are probably gonna be mostly interchangeable.
    06Z, gnurob, floalex and 2 others like this.
  2. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

:scratch

Ok
    Foot dragger and gnurob like this.
  3. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, just because the name and the engine changed drastically doesn’t mean the rest has changed drastically too.
    KTM is very cost sensitive so they had plan to reuse the 790 with a new (bigger, E5 compliant) engine and call it 890.
    They want to sell their power parts to 790 and 890 alike without having to invest in changes again.

So rest assured that there will be plenty of third party parts that are still coming and can be used on both 790 and 890.
  4. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know. The frame may well be different parts. We won't know exactly until people get their hands on it. As I said in my post there would certainly be some cross-over.
  5. Rossifumi

Rossifumi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Parts will likely fit. Just like they do from the 1190->1090->1290. Sure, some internal changes were made on the motor but not like they changed anything major outside of that and a brake line or whatever. Standard Austrian update. These guys do this every 2-3 years. Just look at their many iterations their LC8 has gone through in 10 years. :)
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    They said today that the motorcycle is Euro5 compliant due to the cat and the ecm mods. From those statements, I would conclude that the 2021 790 Adventure will have similar mods and also be Euro5 compliant.

If that is the strategy, there will be NO changes to the frame geometry and the parts will be interchangeable. Another clue is the head angle is the same, the ride height and suspension parts are the same.
  7. gnurob

gnurob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Compression was increased, along with bore and stroke, therefore increased inertia is required to rotate the engine between power strokes.
    Maximegalodon and Braapncamp like this.
  8. gnurob

gnurob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There will be no more 790, but rest assured, it is essentially the same motorcycle with a reworked piston and cylinder, and a few bolt on parts.
    roookie1 likes this.
  9. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least I hope they have dramatically improved the relialility of the new Adv
  10. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And they are all gone.

I was just contacted by my dealer to confirm the pre-order and regarding the deposit. Looking forward to it.
  11. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you had any reliability issues?
  12. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They have not announced a 890 Adventure. Only a R and a R Rally. Wouldn't the standard 790 Adventure still be in production?
  13. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was well over 100 yesterday. Oh well. If it's like the 790R to 790 rally then the differences aren't that much between them.

It's interesting that for the same money, you can buy a Poskitt built 690 Rally, or even a fully on used Dakar bike if you want to drop to 450cc. In fact the latter will leave you with plenty of change for repairs.

Anyhow. Very curious to see the published weights. MCN says 15lbs heavier. Doesn't really make sense though. A UK publication would not talk in pounds, they would speak in KGs.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  14. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I've heard is that the standard model 890 will be released in the next week or so
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Poskitt's bikes start at $50,000
    Maximegalodon likes this.
  16. Maximegalodon

Maximegalodon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why are people naging about reliability? I have my 5th KTM and give them a lot of shit and no problems.
    My current 300 exc has 200h on it. second piston. Thinking about giving her a third one for christmas ;-)
    My 990 has now 80.000 km and I only stranded one in Greece. Because my mechanik made a mistake during servicing. Since then I service it myself and never had any problems.
    My third KTM currently is an old 2003 125 motocross bike. With a glued engine case because it hit a rock. The bike doesn‘t care runs fine. A 17 year old motocross

So maybe I got lucky with all my biles or what I rather belive is that there a few people who had bad experiences and are loudly complaining in the forums. Giving the impression the there are issues with KTM
    Foot dragger, Iwl67 and Venturer like this.
  17. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    front master cylinder has a different part # than the 790 . 790 master has been superseded to the 890 master . i think its because the master cylinder piston for the 790 has been superseded .
  18. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I hear speculation there was a part number change on the 790, but the documentation doesn't support that.

Here's screen grabs of the KTM parts lists. Both 790 and 890 show the same number, and that's the same number as delivered on my May 2019 bike.

Do you have the new part number, and where is it listed ?

Screenshot_20201008-164926_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201008-164705_Chrome.jpg
  19. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are worth about $8700.00 though so there is that hahahaha...wonder if you get E marked tires for that price...
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  20. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was at the dealer today it will not show the part # supersede until you go to order it .