2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whelp... not sure if this is the first... but a manufacturing defect ruined my ride today.
    Thankfully it happened right after stopping by the dealer and they got me on my way again.

There is 2 layers of rubber seals in the rims on the R model (not sure on others)...that make it tubeless/prevent air leaking out the spoke nipples. One is glued/sealed to the rim, then a thicker outer one fits into a groove in the rim.

My rear wasn't installed properly at the factory and a small portion wasn't in the groove... took 450 miles to work its way out enough to start leaking air through 1 spoke nipple.

It is hard to see in the photos, but the coloration was distinctly different where it wasn't properly seated.
    IMG_4078.jpg IMG_4079.jpg

May want to (or have your favorite tire shop) pull the tires and inspect this before your first long trek into the back country.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  2. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Nice new HDB set up ..... cool

Attached Files:

3. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    Damn cheap ass KTM. 10 miles on it and more things keep falling off... :rofl

20210123_185503.jpg
  4. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Piece of expensive advice.
    Change the rims all together ktm oem rims are butter.
  5. jimbop

jimbop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 2 weeks in with my 890R and I have had this fault come up every time I have stalled the bike. Nothing has stopped working and it goes away after I remove the key and let the bike sit for a while. I'm sure it's just some software glitch. I's going in for my "bend over for your first service" soon so we'll see what they say.
  6. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are the go-to options for better & best wheel options?

TBH I will likely bang up the OEM wheels before swapping... already spending a lot between the bike and essential protective accessories. I will definitely be carrying tubes for sh!t like this now though.
  7. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have excel TAKASAGO but If you are goigm to go tube then the A60s are better
    I have takasago with bulldog spokes and Haan hubs I didn't go with with the nerrow tubed but rather left it tubeless.
    FYI hit a pot hole and it bent the rim 20200729_191653.jpg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  8. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    I am curious as to what they say is the issue
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good lord man, put some air in that tire! Actually, just run more in the next one because it's too late for that one.

:amazon
  11. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ktm rims are known to be made of butter so no amount of air will fix that...
  12. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no-one has reverse engineered the KTM operating system and hacked the dash. It's probably based on some Linux variant or even android. It's a shame these bikes are more popular in the world of biking otherwise it probably would have been done already.
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it's pure Linux there is Alot of hardware interface so probably C as well and I don't know how hacking it will effect the any problem that ktm takes ownership of
    There is an app that hacked the navigation bt
    It piggy backs the my ride app but puts Google maps arrows on the display
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.undingen.maps4ktm
  14. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meant bent the oem rim
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Saxxis rims were horrible. The new ones less so.

What caught my eye was the wear pattern on the knobs as I've seen it before...

Rallz Front - 3100 miles run at 30-32 PSI cold. Photo taken coming back into the USA from a Newfoundland ride.
    rallz 3100 miles canada.jpg

Rallz Front - 4500+ miles run at 36 PSI cold. Photo taken up on Black Bear Pass in Colorado.
    rallz black bear.jpg

A bit more air, at least when on pavement, makes a big difference with this tire.
  16. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess you've got to get used to airing up/down on big bikes if you are going to be off roading. 36PSI might be nice for the tires on the street, and probably makes on-road handling better, but I can't imagine that works well at all off road. With my GS, on 80/20 tires like Anakee IIIs, 36PSI is the magic number for the front tire, I can tell if it's 2PSI off of that one way or the other.
  17. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I change my air depends on what I do.. Went all the way to 20psi in deep sand.
    But my go to Is 25-27 if I'm doing any off road (not including gravel which is I can keep at 32-36)
  18. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like 25, but like windblown said, it will ruin a quality tire in no time. The few minutes it takes to air up (or down), is time well spent.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  19. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t know if anyone else was intimidated by the tank on the 790/890, for some reason I was, but no longer. Super easy, I looked for any video to show how easy it was. Couldn’t find any so I made one. Sorry if the video sucks, my GoPro external mike didn’t work so I had to voice over. Thanks to www.Rottweilerperformance.com for the written instructions. Now I just need my parts to be here tomorrow.

Pipeman, sonoran, tonyubsdell and 8 others like this.
  20. Leanit

Leanit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 890S Friday. Tech Pack failed to load, so I'll have them try again at the 1000k initial service.

85 miles of crooked roads so far, and I like it. Most of those miles were on the horrible pavement we have around the Bay Area hills. Suspension works really nicely. Throttle is more touchy than my older bikes. Shifting is so light and easy it feels like nothing is happening under your boot, but it's just that good. Girl reported back seat was good enough for two hours yesterday. Tire profiles tip into corners quite readily. Getting used the funky shape of the mirrors, but I think they're good. Clutch pull is very, very light. I need a slightly longer left thumb, as the multi-switch and indicator control is juuuuust a bit of a stretch. Damn nice motorbike.
    sanvara, TrailTrauma and Dan D. like this.