2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go hit summit rd & Mt Umunhum then report back. 9 & 84 are not enough, you can do better.
  2. Xj00fan

Xj00fan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer, Sun Enterprises, did the Tech Pack on my 890R for $450, great dealer, fair prices and feels like a small town dealer versus the other one down South of Denver, not to be named.
    brianbrannon and RyanC like this.
  3. 0p2_ADV

0p2_ADV Mother Earth is a source of life, not a resource

Oddometer:
  4. Leanit

Leanit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm north of the Gate. Those roads were my hooligan, knee-down days and I haven't been there in years. Nobody else has either, it seems. Alice's Restaurant would routinely have hundreds of race bikes in the parking lot, and you'd bump into Bostroms and others. Yamaha even did a press event there to release a bike once. Now it's a ghost town, except for tech punks in awkwardly spec'ed Porsches.

I think the biggest problem is that the roads are shot. Living in a banana republic, everything that used to be maintained by the state is in ruins unless you get far out of town ... which I do. The decay of CA roads has pushed many of us from sport bikes to more dual-sport rigs.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That used to be my commute. Pacifica to Woodside: I would either take 35 down and turn at Alice's, or hang down 1 a bit further and come straight over 84. It was always a bit slick in the mornings but the afternoon ride home was always a blast. probably 3x the mileage as taking the straight shot down 280; but even with lane splitting it would take me about the same time to go the fun way. I'd wear out a set of tires in 4-6 weeks when we lived out there, but that was 6 or 7 years ago or so now. You're right, the roads in that area are getting worse as they aren't doing much to maintain them, other than laying down a thick layer of snot in some areas.
    Leanit likes this.
  6. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brought my 890R home from the dealer last Friday. I was able to take it out on its inaugural ride. Coming from a 1090 the 890R feels more like big dual sport bike instead of an adv bike. The overall handling is lighter, I actually caught myself throwing a leg out in corners, lol. Gonna be a fun bike for me. I gotta get the heated grips and the tech pack going. The jury is out on the seat... Man, the motor has got some top end on it.. Good times

IMG_6643.JPG

7. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    I crash tested my new 890r this weekend with a large dog on a country road that decided to try and eat the front of my bike. It didn’t go well for me, the katoom nor the dog.

After having a teenager on a cell phone take me out almost permanently about 6 months ago on my GS 1250 I moved to riding more country/back roads figuring it was safer. Fail- this is a dangerous sport. I’ve been riding for nearly half a century with only a few close calls over the years and one stupid move on my part 20 years ago but two within six months of each other on new bikes makes me reconsider golf and I hate golf!

To get the weight down, there are compromises in protection in seems on these things. It surprised me that a relatively low speed (10-15mph est) crash on hard pack dirt did so much damage. But then again, a lot of it I guess are crush zones elements protecting hard parts. Normal items- front fender, mirror and handguard didn’t break but took light road rash swiveling out of the way. I’m surprised that the turn signals on dirt bikes haven’t improved over the years to be more flexible and bend but they didn’t. The upper plastic panel/spoiler deformed and inner panel broke but protected the radiator from damage I think. All those shark gill shapes seem to be pretty strong plastic really. The inner panel is very light plastic but cheap to replace. A few other minor scratches but the worst damage was the skid plate and left tank guard.

The plastic tank guard cracked, broke a mount at the front and heavily deformed the skid plate along with it. I knew taking off the skid plate to install a crap flap that honestly, the stock is really just heavy aluminum foil! Too many vent and drain holes and light construction to protect from much of anything really. My concern is that KTM engineers may have planned that by design based on the weak, lightweight mounting points. Everyone here seems to be mounting heavy alloy plates. I’m not reading about anyone having energy transfer problems to the mounting points causing damage to the lightly constructed front frame or engine casings. Maybe the heavy plate is transferring energy across a broad surface more equally to the weaker mounts. Regardless, I decided to go with AXP thinking that it might take some of the energy transfer better and do a better job sliding and protecting the tank. I’ve seen pictures of them taking heavy damage but the stock baking pan is way too expensive for a breakaway part. However, I hope in my lifetime not to test it again!

BTW- Rottweiler makes a nice CNC guard for the fuel tap on that side saying they replace the plastic stock piece. On the 890 it must have been upgraded to stamped alloy. I don’t think it offers the protection of the Rotty part but it seemed to have survived the impact. I’ll check closer later and see if an upgrade is required or not. It doesn’t appear to be deformed but there also appears to be zero clearance so I’m thinking there was a slight bending.

At least the plastic replacements on KTM are a lot cheaper than BMW plastic.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  8. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes!!! You OK?
  9. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you walked away. Yep dangerous sport, we all get our turn unfortunately and the ones we don't hear about are the unlucky ones. We all know every time we throw a leg over the bike we take a chance that may not end well. I just cant give it up though I had a guy turn left right in front of me, no turn signal nothing ! Whamo, into the front right corner panel I went.....I now have 5 motorcycles instead of 3, I showed that F---er !!!
    steelfisher and asphaltsurfer1 like this.
  11. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    This time yes. Thanks for asking. Just a bit sore. Right hand is swollen and left knee sore.

I was concerned when I went down the dog would go after me but I think he was shaken up enough and decided you don’t always want to catch what you chase. Good lesson for him. If I’d been in my truck and he’d have done the same thing he’d be a pancake.

I was wearing full gear and jump tumbled over the top of the bike a few feet away since I wasn’t moving much after impact. Still not fully healed from the accident last summer where I spent a week in ICU. Cars at 45mph on the street are worse than dog’s at 15mph on the dirt for sure. That one was bad! All the ribs broken on right side, ankle and knee damage- some probably permanent and I don’t even remember the $60,000 helicopter ride. Stupid really to be riding again I guess but it’s what we do!

I think I should take the winter off and reevaluate my hobbies but I know I won’t. Could die from a heart attack seating at my desk working at a job I hate when I could die doing something I like. :)
    W-Gator, DCGH, Dan D. and 2 others like this.
  12. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Dog limped a bit but shook it off. He was a BIG dog. Not sure how he’ll make it long term but he seemed fine.
  13. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did they find the owner? They need to pay a high price for allowing their dog out.
    Venturer likes this.
  14. joelord

joelord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who is that Studly looking guy in the pick? LOL good to see ya! And cant wait to ride soon....
    bmgyver likes this.
  15. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    It was on a dirt road with a single wide trailer. Might have been abIe to get restitution in meth at best but I didn’t try as that required getting to the trailer passed two more dogs. Warning- carry insurance and watch out for yourselves and assume people won’t or don’t have to be accountable, especially if your bike costs more than their home.

When I had my accident this summer the kid was driving his dads car which only had $25k liability. The hospital bills and aeromed were around $300k. Fortunately I carried UIM coverage. The bike was only on the bike but my car coverage was on multiple cars and was on me. It paid off well and part was covered by work insurance. Suing at fault driver would have been the 18 year old and hard to carry over to the father who probably didn’t have beans either. I still haven’t settled on the liability claim but won’t likely see more than the maximum insurance payout. Advice- If you get involved in an accident make sure it’s an Amazon truck, Bentley or a pure bred from an estate or carry as much insurance as possible. It’s crazy what medical costs can add up.
    Crashthings likes this.
  16. alonad

alonad Long timer

Oddometer:
    similar case
    got hit by a car (on my previous bike) guy had only 25k and zero money of his own.
    my insurance paid for the repairs on the bike minus my deductible (which I got back a yr. later after his insurance acknowledged the blame ) after my lawyer got me the 25k (17k after his cut) still had 3k in hospital bills after my insurance paid their part a year later another 3k for a second surgery
    I think the way insurance works in the us is bull shit .
    in Israel there is no limit to what they cover, they cover all medical bills, repair expenses and what ever other amount the judge decides , it is however much more expensive to get insurance in Israel especially for motorcycles
  17. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Glad you’re back riding. Motorcycles are a permanent disease overriding logical reasoning really in a world of obstacles that can kill you. Enough miles and years and the odds are pretty good something bad I guess will happen. My odds with two this close are why I don’t gamble.

Enough from the old broken guy then let’s move on to positive pictures of bikes that aren’t crashed :

Attached Files:

tonyubsdell likes this.
  18. alonad

alonad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a few of those addictions
    I see riding as the 3rd most dangerous (meaning when shit goes sideways my chances of coming out OK) thing I do
    But the second in the likelihood I'll get hurt doing it (chances of shit gojgn sideways) number 1 in all categories is BASE
    IMG-20170902-WA0001.jpg IMG_20200908_114005_124.jpg IMG_3896.JPG IMG_3739.JPG
  19. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never understand why people jump out of perfectly good airplanes! lol JK
  20. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I went threw all 68 pages. I saw some chatter on heated grips by didn't get a clear answer. As I understand it you can buy aftermarket heated grips and they come with a separate switch that you mount. if you buy ktm's grips you put them on and you control them from the touchpad on the front of the bike. Do I have that right?
    I am going in tomorrow to settle up. I'm not taking it home until Saturday. We just got 5 inches and I'm driving it home.
    Features I'm adding
    The kick stand that lifts the rear tire up. Pig tails for a trickle charger(not certain of battery type). Tech pack( price of the bike went up a grand from the 790r). Factory heat grips.
    Anything I'm missing?