2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't see the wood for the trees? Missing out on so much ....
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trolling the interwebs? Missing out on so much ....
    Gaulin likes this.
  3. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Wow TT, you're on fire today ! :clap
  4. jimbop

jimbop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So picked up the beast today. The tech roles the bike out and starts it up and there is the yellow caution symbol lit up on the foggy TFT screen LOL. So back inside goes my fine Steed. Turns out they had forgot to re program the quick shift that I had said was anything but a quick shift. At least not compared to my old Italian Super Model Ducati. 15 minutes later we are good to go. I ride home and pull out my phone to read an email from the Service Manager that he had heard back from KTM and they want the serial number of my screen so he’s asking me to pull the front off and take a picture of it or make the 45 minute trip back out to have them do it.

Gotta love the big Orange Machine.

Oh, it is nice to have a fully un-corked beast.
    LFC09, DCGH and ADV890R like this.
  5. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Hope to pick one up when I move there in the Summer. Not Zaragoza, but possibly Oviedo.
    bindaa likes this.
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm trolling with an opinion, the acceptance of which seems to be eluding you
  7. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting! Thanks

Here in the Basque there are no discounts in my dealer :(
  8. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That has to be SO frustrating!

For you folks who's weather swings above & below freezing, does the yellow triangle go away when the weather warms up? Mine was on my whole first ride (20*F), with a warning that roads may be icy, and I haven't had a chance to get back out since. I just assumed it was a continuous reminder of that but it sounds more like a malfunction indicator rather than the initial "icy roads!" warning.
  9. MisterJim

MisterJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed. what does a bike know about time
  10. bindaa

bindaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you already know where you’re going to land, I suggest you already get in touch with the local dealer(s).

My dealer in Zaragoza was supposed to get his first 890 R delivered in December, then another one in February and March (first demo bike). Turns out he received his first last week (mine), should be receiving his second one in April (already sold as well) if it doesn’t change by then and then his demo bike just before summer. He’s actually negotiating with KTM to make the 3rd bike one he can sell and not a demo one...

So...to summarize, deliveries are pretty unpredictable at the moment and it’s probably best to get in touch with the dealers early to secure one for this summer.

Bummer...is it one of the Txarandaka shops? Looks like there are 2 in the area. If it’s not the same owner, you might get more luck in the other one.
  11. RckyMtnBiker

RckyMtnBiker Not all those that wander are lost....

Oddometer:
    Generally agree with the advice, I have ridden the COBDR for the last 4 years, last year twice, one of the best resources for CO mountain pass opening status is here if riding early summer: http://bushducks.com. For high water conditions there are usually alternate routes. Recommend riding the Alpine Pass section 2 very early in the day to avoid Jeep and razor traffic and mid-day storms. The KTM 790/890R is the ultimate bike for this ride, as if it was built for it, I won’t ride anything else after riding the COBDR in past years on GS’s, 1090R, etc., lighter is always better.
    DCGH likes this.
  12. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a bunch installed over last few days. Haven't even ridden it yet haha- its winter, cold and snow coming in right now.
    CRG mirrors on RP perches
    Ian skid plate
    Wings Exhaust
    Arrow decat
    Garmin XT on motopump mount
    Kreiga bags
    Camel head braces
    tempImageMZsMsb.jpg tempImagelr9yy4.jpg tempImagetZgZFv.jpg
    tonyubsdell, alonad, rsmith56 and 2 others like this.
  13. sv74

sv74 Nomad

Oddometer:

Hey Mark

what size Kriega bags are those? I’m thinking of picking these over the mosko ones but they seem to be sold out everywhere.
  14. markgrolex

Oddometer:
    6 top bag snd 12 sides. Got bags from performance cycle dot com
  15. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must have fired it up in the garage. How does it sound with the Wings/decat. That would be the exhaust system I would pick once I get around to justifying it to myself. :D
  16. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy took 2 years to dial in his 790 ADVR! I rode with him every mile he did off road! It took me one month to get my 890 ADVR dialed in! Thanks for 2 years of Ride and development! Next week it goes in for complete suspension overhaul! Mainly for my big ass! Then it is on!

Still waiting on Rottweiler Performance to deliver new Air box and Fuel spigot protector.
    Scott’s steering damper
    And then I need some new soft bags!
    So very close to riding time!
    zoomsplat likes this.
  17. Serpestrilvith

Serpestrilvith n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, finally got hold of my 890 last Friday after putting a hold on it way back in Nov! Second on the list at the dealer. First impression is great, I've wanted this since I test rode a 790 last year and held out to get some off road experience on something a little lighter to pick up (DRZ 400, been great to learn on). Got a whole laundry list of parts and things to order from this thread, and Rottwieler's site hah :D

I don't plan to do a whole lot of single track on this, mostly BDR type stuff and keep the DRZ for anything really gnarly up here in the PNW. So was planning to go with the AXP plate since they seem like a good compromise with weight and protection, but would love any thoughts, as I know the Black dog and Ian's plate have a pretty solid reputation.

PXL_20210130_204852131.jpg

Unfortunately for me I noticed some smoke coming up on the last turn before the driveway riding it home, found oil on top of the engine and quite a bit on the tire (guess that's why the TC light kept going off
    Thought it was from a pretty loose oil filler cap, but after tightening that, cleaning it up and going for another short ride ended up with quite a bit more oil all over. Took it back to the dealer and they said the engine gasket wasn't fully in the groove so got pulled into the engine after it got warmed up and hence all the oil spewing out the top! Dealers taking care of it but not exactly the most confidence inspiring start to my first bike with team orange. They were a little surprised that I kept it upright riding it the 15miles in, but I honestly couldn't feel much aside from a couple TC flashes. Obviously going to a warranty claim, but anyone have thoughts on if something like this warrants something like a new engine/bike? First time having anything like this with a brand new bike.

PXL_20210130_013553235.jpg PXL_20210130_014216232.jpg

PS, any links to the full warranty docs would be great, KTM's site just shows a short paragraph.

Attached Files:

tonyubsdell likes this.
  18. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the land of citrus.
  19. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a valve cover gasket? If so, just let them replace the gasket and clean it up really well. Maybe suggest that the rear tire is replaced as it was contaminated with the lubricant as well. I don't think it's cause to replace the engine or entire vehicle.
    LFC09 and Gaulin like this.
  20. markgrolex

Oddometer:
    sounds good. I had a wings on 1290 and liked it. It was not a lot louder but smaller and lighter! Little deeper sound so just about right.
    You can order right from wings .com and get it in USA in like 4 days. His service is great and ships DHL. Awesome quick service and cheaper than buying it from vendor here in USA