2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    +1 on tire replacement. Very tough to get all the remnants of oil off a tire to the point you won't second guess it.
  2. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can dismiss the yellow ice warning banner by pressing any button on the multi-switch, but the ! triangle will remain on until the temp rises. Once the temp rises it does turn off though, see below page from 790 manual for "complete" info.

ice warning manual page.JPG

I can confirm the behavior is the same (and would assume temps are the same thresholds) on the 890.
  3. Serpestrilvith

Serpestrilvith n00b

Oddometer:

That's what my thinking was, but wanted to get more opinions. I cleaned the tire off and it seemed fine, aside from having to ride it back while it was leaking more oil onto it.

Is there any circumstance anyone knows of that a full vehicle replacement would be under warranty? Never heard of it happening, imagine it's not likely. Not looking to get one, just curious.

I'll bring up the new tire, though some googling found people that said you can pretty much just re scrub it in, and it should be fine. Won't mention that to the dealer though :augie
  4. BulentY

BulentY n00b

Oddometer:
  5. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    It’s all HDB
    They have everything in many different heights
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tyre can be cleaned in a few minutes with soap and water. The oil leak can be fixed by the dealer under warranty. Why would the whole bike need to be replaced for an oil leak?
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know of only one motorcycle that was replaced under warranty. It was a Honda VFR. It stopped running and dealer nor Honda could figure out why or get it running again. Since they could not figure out whether it was an issue with the motor, wiring, or ECU they just gave the fellow a new bike. True story.

Though it did take over 2 months and some threats of a lawsuit before Honda threw in the towel and just gave the guy a new bike.
  8. Serpestrilvith

Serpestrilvith n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my thinking, just wanted to ask. I already washed the tire off and it seemed totally fine aside from the fact more oil got onto it while I rode it in for the repair.
    My aunt bless her heart is of the opinion the bike is 'defective' despite my assurance otherwise.

Yeah, from the businesses point of view, this is what I'd expect. Work to fix it as long as it's running and absolute worst case if it doesn't start like that then finally cave after a long fight and replace it.

Hopefully I can get it back soon, got a bunch of parts coming in now and want to get wrenching and setting it up for the riding season.
  9. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lemmon Law type stuff: same problem on a brand new vehcile x number of times (usually 3, but local laws vary somewhat), and the vehicle is either replaced completely or the sale price can be refunded or credited towards an alternate purchase. Its usually major things, not like "my dash fogged up and they replaced it 3 times" but things more along the lines of "trans wont downshift, even after they've rebuilt it thrice."
  10. zoomsplat

Oddometer:
    The view from the office today. Nearly 15 inches (as measured, having packed down under its own weight) so it looks like I won't be getting the 890 out for a little bit :pep

Guess its time to go hypothesize and plan out all of this summers rides.

144645550_10164861994890165_3275079963121919895_o.jpg
  11. zoomsplat

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I haven't had a day above 30* to check.
    groot-stuff likes this.
  12. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea we got 17 or 18 I think.. My bike is with the dealer installing the tpms units
    zoomsplat likes this.
  13. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

I had a BMW S1000XR that was replaced. By an aftermarket supplier whose engine guards caused a crack in the engine block. Replacing entire bike was cheaper than replacing $14,500 engine.
  14. Serpestrilvith

Serpestrilvith n00b

Oddometer:
    Ahh, gotcha. Makes total sense, thanks for the info!

Hah, dang, yeah at that point that's pretty much the price of the bike, sheesh.
  15. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    I just thought I'd throw myself under the bus.... I know the 790 came with the crappy Karoo tires. For some reason, in all my reading and watching videos about the 890, I never heard anything about the tires being different and assumed the 890 did to. I've had my 890 for a couple weeks now and yesterday I was tinkering with it and I looked at the rear tire. I stared at it thinking it didn't look right. "Wow, I didn't think the Karoo's were that aggressive of a tire" I thought. "Damn, that looks more like the TKC80 that come on my 1090" I continued to think to myself just staring. Then my eyes slowly moved to the sidewall. lol I'm an idiot.... :doh Now I'm even more excited to ride it whenever the snow decides to go home.
    zoomsplat, DCGH, David_Moen and 3 others like this.
  16. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike brought me my first experience of TKC80s... after just over 800 miles I love them (~700 street, ~100 dirt because its too cold and/or snowy in the mountains this time of year).
    I have carved paved mountain switchbacks and long sweepers @ 35PSI (cold) and have had a lot of fun on some easy (relatively flat, but twisty) single and double track at our local riding area @ 30PSI (cold)... very impressed. They aren't too loud for how aggressive they are either, and certainly don't roar like a D606 rear!

The only desire I had off road was more bite from the front tire, but anything more aggressive would likely remove the confidence the TKC80s inspire on the pavement. I do intend to be 80% off road come summer though, so I may try something slightly more aggressive.

Some say they wear quickly but as a "rear steering" guy and many years on dirt bikes and a few track days - tires are the same as oil to me now, I stopped fussing over $200-$600 per year in tires, riding is what I enjoy and some people spend that much on coffee (or more)... which I don't :)
    CKloed likes this.
  17. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm up to 50km's on mine now :roflbut that said, I have ridden them on semi-icy/wet roads, dry pavement and a little bit of snow (yes it was my front yard)..pretty impressed I have to say :-)
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree that the TKC80's offer a nice mix of on and off-pavement performance. Not a fan of the soft front for high speed rocky terrain simply because it's not tough enough for that environment (IMHO). Performance wise they hold their own quite well in a lot of terrain thanks to a sticky rubber compound.

The front is a better match to the the rears performance on pavement rather than than off-pavement. This is fairly typical of motorcycle tire designs for mixed use. I suspect the reason for this is that since most riders are much more comfortable with a rear sliding around a bit compared to a front sliding around a bit (myself included) that manufacturers opt to lean towards matching the paved performance between front and rear except for tires with an extreme offroad bias. That results in a front that is less likely to let go first on the street and conversely, a front that is more likely to let go first when off pavement. Therefore, if a rider is more interested in how a bike behaves at the limits of traction while off pavement rather than when on pavement they will likely need to to abandon the whole concept of running "matched" sets of tires front and rear when it comes to these mixed use tires.

I find it helps to think of the manufacturers use ratings (90/10, 80/20, 50/50, 20/80) as how much off-pavement versus on-pavement bias was designed into the tire rather than think of it as how much time you plan to spend in each environment.
    tonyubsdell and DCGH like this.
  19. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The front blocks seem closer together that they were on the R1200 GSA-----similar on the rear. Noisier on the BMW. I got 3500 mi out of the rear, and 5800 or so out of the front. Not so noisy on the 890, hoping for better mileage as well, but it is what it is. Cost of fun?
  20. MrShred

MrShred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the KTM Powerparts 2 piece ergo heated rider and pillion seats on the 890 R? They are listed online for the 790R but not the 890R.