2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    There has been so much talk about the future production line possibilities, fueled by the partnerships with CFM Moto and Bajaj, as to where the bikes will be made that its only natural one might be uncertain. However I think for now they have not moved the flagship bikes (including the 890s) from Austria as of yet. Keep in mind I'm talking about final assembly, and various parts/sub-assemblies are currently being made and shipped from various other countries before making their way onto the Austrian line.
    offworlder and groot-stuff like this.
  2. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, thanks for the input.
    Yeah, I remember some people on this thread stating their bikes were assembled in Austria, I didn't know if it was a distribution thing. Like if we received bikes made in India because we are in the states or something.
    kubcat likes this.
  3. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put my vin in and it said invalid. I double checked. I would like to know where mine was made.
  4. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tjf1967 likes this.
  5. steelfisher

steelfisher n00b

Oddometer:
    If VIN starts with VBK it’s made in Austria. All VINs from all vehicle manufactures follow the same patterns.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  6. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts Comfort Low Seat finally came in (their lead time says 30+ days and mine arrived at my local dealer in 29!)
    These seats are truly works of art... and comfy!
    SeatConceptsLow-SideView.JPG

SeatConceptsLow-TopView.JPG
    asphaltsurfer1 and markgrolex like this.
  7. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took some pictures of a 390 Adventure at a show back in 2019. The vin starts with vbk, but its supposed to be made in India.. I dont get it..
  8. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Digit 1 is the manufacturer country. Does your photo show the 11th digit? That is the assembly plant indicator - where its "made". The manufacturer IS KTM and they ARE located in Austria, even though it was assembled or MANUFACTURED in the Bajaj plant in India. It is NOT a Bajaj motorcycle, so the MANUFACTURER (not country OF manufacture or build) country is Austria.
    tft likes this.
  9. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May be that was just because it was a show, and that unit was one of the first ones made, only for pre-sale “show purposes”.
    roookie1 likes this.
  11. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts claims 1". I will measure it for science and post here again.

Realistically though, I am 5'8" with ~31" inseam... it brought me from tippy toes down to the balls of my feet - in sneakers when sitting squarely on top. In my Tech 7's that may be nearly flat footed as those already had me on the balls of my feet.
    I only opted for low version because the 890 is heavier than any other bike I have ever ridden and feel it will give me a teeny weeny edge during those "oh sh!t" moments when you need to drop to the seat and dab to keep your balance. Either way, I was going to get a Seat Concepts seat because they are far more comfortable IMO - even after hours of "breaking in" the OEM vinyl wrapped 2x6.

For any tall bike, a great technique to practice is sliding to a thigh to get one foot solidly on the ground (the other stays on the opposing foot peg for balance/stability). With enough practice on both sides, this will become second nature and helps with dabbing for balance recovery (NOT paddling). I use this technique every time I ride my WR450 (38" seat height, probably 36-37" when sagged by my ~180 lbs of body & gear weight).
    - If you have a rear stand this is something you can practice in the garage during winter months... and the bike will be slightly taller on the stand, making the practice more effective and usable when needing to dab on the low-side of a trail.
    GF-kam likes this.
  12. CraigR12

CraigR12 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    groot-stuff likes this.
  13. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how is it compared to the Rally seat? Was it a complete seat? Can you post a pic from a little farther back? And do they have a option to put some orange on it? I like the look with my Rally seat, but I do have to stand on my tippy toes to touch both feet, and them pegs make it hard to walk the bike back.
  14. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts only sells complete seats for the 790/890 unless you are only looking to replace the standard models front half... that is the only one available as a foam and cover kit.

I don't have a Rally, but I've sat on one at the dealer... and judging again by photos that seat is definitely taller than the regular R's OEM seat (note how flat it is in comparison).
    Also look at the amount of material between the top of the seat and plastics where the seat meets the bike... BIG difference there, ~2 inches if you don't mind me guessing.

Rally OEM | SC Rally Standard | SC Comfort | SC Comfort Low
    890rallyOEM.jpg rallyStandard.png comfort.png comftlow.png
  15. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Also, the most orange you are going to get with the regular comfort or low comfort is the stitching (I love the subtlety of it).
    If you want orange you'd be at the same seat height (or taller, not pictured) with these options...

SC Rally Hard Adv | SC Rally Hard Adv Super Grip
    rallyHard.png rallyHardGripper.png
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  16. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Rally, yes the seat is about 2 inches higher than the R. I sat on a R at the local dealer a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t like the seat of the R as much as my Rally. Just wondering how much more comfortable the SC seat is compared to the Rally seat. If it’s worth the price and losing the flat Rally seat.
  17. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    If you're okay with the Rally's height they have the direct replacement. My experience with 2 SC seats is that:
    1. The foam is much better quality (not softer, but more conforming and stays plush on long rides)
    2. The foam is better formed (no hard edges, SC does a great job at making nice smooth edges - especially where your thighs hug the seat)
    3. The cover material of your choice ("gripper tops" will wear holes into jeans after several aggressive rides but "low slip" is similar to my OEM R seat, just slightly grippier)
    I obviously love Seat Concepts but have also only heard good things about them. I'll also share my experience with the WR's seat...

I initially ordered the OEM direct replacement but later wanted to install an IMS tank, which requires trimming the seat pan, reshaping the foam and cutting (or meticulously folding) the cover material - and finally stapling it back down.

I contacted SC and they sent multiple pictures and quite detailed instructions on how to pull it all apart, trim, reshape and staple it down. They also offered to do it for me for the cost of the IMS specific cover and shipping.

I ended up doing it myself and it came out great, thanks to their excellent support.
    20200310_180942.jpg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  18. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surgery phase 1, initial poop removal stage:
    Surgery.jpg
  19. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Measurements are in - not entirely scientific, but I did my best to keep the camera at the same height and angle to reduce the illusion of differences as much as possible.
    After sitting on both seats back to back again, I am happy with the little bit lower it is now. If only it wasn't in the single digits I could go for a test ride! :vardy

Adv R OEM Seat: ~34 1/2" as advertised
    AdvRseatHeightOEM.jpg
    Seat Concepts Comfort Low: ~33 3/4" (almost an inch, a better measurement would likely prove the full 1" claimed)
    AdvRseatHeightSClow.jpg

SC seat is closest, OEM behind it
    AdvRoemVSsc2.jpg

OEM on left, SC on right
    AdvRoemVSsc.jpg
  20. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going down a tooth up front?