2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, essential mod for the kind of riding I do.
    David_Moen likes this.
  2. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect that in even intermediate BC single track a bit lower gearing will be nice.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 16T is good for getting the bike through factory emissions testing... dropping to a 15T allows you to slow to a crawl with less clutching.
  4. alonad

alonad Long timer

Oddometer:
    And same chain right... No need to talk a link out or something
  5. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 11th digit is the assembly plant so in my case VBKTR3402LM****** M= Mattinghogen L = model year =2000
  6. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    -1 up front is no issue, just have to spin the chain adjusters or flip the axle/chain tensioner blocks to tighten the chain up a bit. Personally I don't worry about "additional wear" from the smaller circumference of a 15T from a 16T, it is marginal at worst. Also don't worry about the tiny distance the wheelbase is extended (maybe a CM, likely only MMs though).

Most bikes I've been able to do -1 up front OR +2 out back with the OEM # of links (FYI -1 up front is about +3 out back on any bike).

I can't personally guarantee the -1 OR +2 works on this bike, but here is a pic from the 790 thread where they believe it is a 47 rear (and I assume a stock 16T front), with the blocks on the narrow side (there is ~half a dozen posts about sprokets & chains too).
    Screenshot_20210213-083436_Chrome.jpg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  7. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why are some people worried about where the bike is made? They will be made from the same parts of the same quality and assembled in exactly the same way. Many of the parts on bikes assembled in Austria aren't made in Austria.
    braaap! and comradecasey like this.
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a "thing" for some folks. Is what it is. To each their own.
    comradecasey likes this.
  9. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Personally I don't care either... there can be straight up idiots or just untrained yet competent people making mistakes on an assembly line in any country.

I'm more a believer in "dumb bad luck" when it comes to mass produced products now-a-days. If the bike is going to have a problem it'll rear it's ugly head within the first few thousand miles (things not assembled right)... or 2-3 years later once a component works it's way loose because it was "just tight enough but not fully torqued or seated properly"... or never re-checked by the owner or shop at regular intervals.

I'm also a firm believer of thread lock and personally checking torques on as many bolts as I can get a torque wrench on every year. I spend the coldest months in the garage with a heater going to do major maintenance (mainly suspension, swingarm and head bearing cleaning/regreasing), but also minor maintenance like replacing leaky fork seals, wear items, thoroughly cleaning and lubing cables as well as double checking torques on bolts I wouldn't otherwise touch...

It's all worth it to have a trouble free riding season. Wrenching during the warm riding season banes me!
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  10. David_Moen

Oddometer:
    I've still got the factory sprocket sets from my last 2 KTMs hanging on the wall in my shop with zero miles on them! My 350-EXC wouldn't have been rideable on our single-track with the factory gearing. I installed "Iron Man" sprockets, they were still in fine shape when I traded it off for the 890 and I bought that bike in 2013!
    offworlder likes this.
  11. David_Moen

Oddometer:
    I've lost track, what are you doing for exhaust?
  12. David_Moen

Oddometer:
    I suspect the front sprocket cover has it's design dictated by a sound "emissions" standard as well. That thing makes no sense for a bike that is going to be seeing any dirt riding at all. A spidery billet replacement is in my stack of boxes waiting for a motorcycle to arrive in the garage.
  13. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Front sprocket cover is definitely not good for muddy conditions...
    For the frugal crowd, Bret Tkacs has a pretty effective $0 mod that can be completed with a large drill bit and dremel.
    Just watch for ~50 seconds, I made the link start at the relevant time:
  14. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Stock exhaust, cheaper and tougher. Akra is just another unnecessary and expensive part that will get damaged. And for those that care about the sound (I dont, as it'll never sound like an LC8), stock exhaust + de-cat sounds better than Akra.
    Nowwhat and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you just get the arrow mid-pipe?
  16. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Correct. Arrow mid-pipe + de-cat + stock exhaust = uncorked.
    tft likes this.
  17. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where the parts guide can be found for any year of the rally model? No problem finding parts manual, service manual, everything for the 790 and 790R online. But for any year or displacement Rally model, zip.
  18. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are available for online viewing at the KTM Spare Parts Finder

https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/

It'll be under Street/Travel/Travel Enduro/Travel Mid
    tonyubsdell and groot-stuff like this.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Thanks! None of the regular online parts lists from KTM dealers has them. Found what I needed already!
  20. Trollspeed

Trollspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stock exhaust with the cat removed crackles a lot under acceleration and is very loud. The supplied Akrapovic is lighter and has more flow for an increase in throttle response. It also sounds the part even with the cat remaining, IF you drill out the end cap to remove the restrictor/db killer that makes it whistle.