2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I literally watched the delivery truck pull up to the dealership, unload my bike in the crate and hung out with the guys and watched the bike get uncrated and assembled. I recall the skid plate and black support plate were not mounted and the rubbers that mount thru the black piece were loose but don't recall with certainty whether the rubber bushings that attach to the case were already installed or not. It's possible that they were.
  2. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my bike Saturday and requested that the skid plate and bushings be left off my bike. The bushings were on the bike when I picked it up, the tech that built it up said they were in place from the factory. I forgot them there when I put my Camel ADV skid plate on, but that's going to come off pretty quick when my decat pipe shows up so I'll take care of them at that time.
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Tha
    Thanks, guys. That makes sense, at least as the factory install of the bushings and the oftentimes issues removing them. I am ordering the Ian Chappel skidplate for my new bike, and will let the dealer do the assembly without bothering them about the bushings.
  4. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took mine for a ride last night....even riding through an unexpected hailstorm I had the same `shit eating grin`...really enjoying getting to know the bike :lol3
  5. DCGH

Oddometer:
    I wouldn`t stress on the bushings...I removed mine to fit my Ian Chapel skidplate...they took a little bit of persuading and the use of Mole Grips (Vice Grips for you North Americans apparently) they both came out ok.
    theDoktor likes this.
  6. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got my back-ordered Klim Carlsbad gear in the Asphalt color... now I'm ready to ride through a rain (hopefully not hail) storm!
    Screenshot_20210219-134600_Gallery.jpg
    David_Moen and DCGH like this.
  7. DCGH

Oddometer:
    Said `hailstorm` wasn`t planned LOL...I realized I need to get a `proper`ADV helmet as a full on light weight Enduro helmet doesn`t stop hail hitting your face :lol3
  8. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    :-) yea even heavy rain drops thwacking you in the nose hurts... the face shield really helps for high speeds and weather. I was kinda irritated buying another helmet but definitely appreciate it now that I've been out for ~50 miles in it (Shoei Hornet X2, only brand that fits my big egg head).
    DCGH likes this.
  9. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got that jacket and pants on order. I have a nice BMW GS Dry Jacket, but I think if I ride my KTM while wearing a BMW jacket, the universe might divide by zero and implode or something! :D
    Perun likes this.
  10. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    I felt like a wonky violator of ADV code when I first got the bike... nice GSXR blue leather sport jacket, on an orange KTM lol
    First ride out in the Klim gear I decided to wonder up a dirt path along the railroad tracks (behind my local Target)... hit some mud that didn't "look" like mud and set her down for the first time.
    Whelp, now that the first one is done... the rest won't hurt my ego as much (though it did make me think more about getting upper crash bars as that was an area of the bike that took an impact).
    theDoktor and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got the first one behind you! If you go ahead & get the crash bars, please let me know how they work. I fully expect to follow your lead and repeat your experience...
    As far as the gear color, I can't wait to see the color clash between the KTM & my safety-yellow Olympia jacket. My eyes hurt just thinking about it.
  12. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    There is 7 off-topic posts starting with this one in another thread with some opinions on the upper crash bars... those coupled with mine taking a hit in that area has me convinced to buy them.
    theDoktor likes this.
  13. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Weather finally gave me the opportunity to get the 890 R out for a shake down (pavement). The road salt was awful - machine was covered along with me. Worth it - may have to break out the ACF-50.
    -
    What a machine. What impressed me the most was how well balanced it is. I ran the machine on an empty and full tank today and the balance did not change - at least to me it was imperceptible - I am sure with more time on the bike and in off road conditions I will pick up on it. Got to say KTM hit on something here. Motor is strong at all revs (up to 7k - I am still in the break in period). Quick shifter is really good. I could easily see myself doing 400-600 mile pavement days on this machine to get out West/East to the dirt & mountains. I haven't mucked with the suspension yet although I have no doubt it is going to be special off road. KTM nailed it with this one and I can see it replacing my 2020 GSA HP as the long distance off road and backcountry touring machine in my garage. This season will determine which one will stay.
    -
    I did note that the RPMs hang a bit after releasing the throttle. Not sure if that is normal for KTM?
    -
    After washing the salt off....

tempImagehoBysK.jpg
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exhaust looks great...
  15. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    "600 miles of pavement"

I just threw up in my mouth...
    Nowwhat and DCGH like this.
  16. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    -
    2-3 days of that and then again on the return
    Dan D. likes this.
  17. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol...

My time is too valuable to me. I like Haulbikes and Southwest airlines. :cool:
  18. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice review -sounds great
    I haven't even ridden mine yet :-)
    That muffler looks very nice- it looks loud and Dakar like- how does it sound, does is have any removable baffle and does it have a spark arrestor
  19. frqflyr

frqflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    Is it OK to ride on dirt with the rear side panels removed? Will travel at least 200m of dirt the next few days.
    Thanks!
  20. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    I don't see any issue with removing them. Some folks have put solid black ABS plastic sheets in their place to cover the subframe, but your air intake snorkels get air with or without them installed.
    What I would be more concerned with is the crappy OEM air filter, especially if you are riding behind someone or a group in dusty conditions... see my post a page back for alternative air filtration options

Speaking on side panels... emergency tire repair items are all set in mine now, I hope to never need to use them - of course.
    Side Pods.JPG
    Left - spare 90/90 front tube (in the event the tubeless system/seals fail or get punctured by a broken spoke)
    Right - Microfiber rag, blue shop towels, T-handle tire plug kit with 20 bacon strips (had to trim one of the T-handles a little to get it to fit)