2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To clear this notion up, as was discussed many pages ago...

The 890's heated grips are indeed similar to those of the bigger bikes and NOT the same as the 790 heated grips with the extra controller/switch box that mounts to the handlebars.

The connection is on-board (as pictured a few posts back about it being near the battery). The controller and indicator lights are built into the TFT options, as pictured here.
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  2. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good catch, I broke one of the turn signal lights on my second ride, So I changed them out with the Yoshamira Turn signals from Rottweiler Performance. Mush better as I lay the bike down a fair bit with my riding style! Lol
  3. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got my 890 out for a ride yesterday. I didn't make it very far, 6-8 inches of slick grainy snow on top of a few inches of ice. Took me about 15 minutes to get 100 feet up this trail in my yard where I eventually gave up and dragged the back end around. It was a lot easier going down this small hill haha. Another few weeks and all this crap will melt and wash the salt off the road and I'll finally be able to get some miles on this pig.
    890 snow.jpg
  4. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    905DAED4-30D0-4755-9107-C4FA80D5556B.png Quick question: in the 890 literature, it mentions that an anti knock sensor is fitted to the engine to allow use of low octane fuels. I have also read that this is a “feature” that needs to be unlocked at the dealer and that the level of power from the engine was decreased by a nearly imperceptible amount to make this possible. Anyone have experience with this? I am picking up my new 890 tomorrow and would like to at least understand this capability.

Attached Files:

5. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    I picked up my new 890 last Friday. There was a sticker on the tank for the "tech pack" which includes 4 things (MSR, Cruise, Rally, Quickshift). I would assume the knock sensor is just there and retards the timing accordingly (but I don't have confirmation on this).
    team ftb likes this.
  6. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify your clarification... :D

When I said "The controller built in to the dash" on the 1290 I was referring to the actual hardware controller (as in the PCM controller), not the software ability to control the grips provided via the dash. I didn't mean to imply that the 890 grips were not controlled by the dash. Sorry for the confusion.

1290 kit = just a set of grips with 1 plug connection per grip
    890 kit = grips with 1 plug connection per AND a hardware controller (and mounting bracket) with a connection that integrates the controller to the dash

So too be really clear... The 890 heated grip system consists of 1) a set of grips 2) a hardware controller that lives under the tank/seat and integrates with the dash to control the electricity to the grips and 3) the bike's dash where you enable the grips and select your level of toastiness

I think there is a discussion barrier with "controller" being variously interpreted as either the dash or a traditional handlebar mounted PCM controller when "controller" it is being used to refer to an actual hardware module that plugs in under the seat/tank and integrates with the dash unit.

My point to @Bomb_Dude is that his "no extra control box" comment seems to indicate that his dealer ordered 1290 grips, which is not the full parts list for the 890. But maybe he meant no traditional handlebar controller. The 890 kit is not yet available as far as I can tell, so either way I'm sticking with my 98.5% that he's getting the wrong grip kit. :lol3
  7. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Love it!
    That's the best clarification on the grips we've got in this thread now... it will definitely benefit us and the random Googling lurkers alike!
    gsuks and motokeith like this.
  8. zoomsplat

zoomsplat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll stick with the aftermarket sets for less than 1/3 the price. I'd love the convenience of having it as one of the presets on the left switch, sure was nice on the Multistrada and this 890 replaced; but at several hundred USD, it just seems overly expensive to me.
  9. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dealer has quoted me $276.00CDN for the heated grips incluging the "HCU Kit". Are aftermarket kits really that inexpensive?
  10. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say OEM heated grips are several hundred, more like a few hundred - perhaps less if you install them yourself (pretty easy IMO).
    Aftermarket wise... there is everything from the inexpensive Tusk Heating elements ($21) that go under any grip, to the Koso Apollo ($130) and Oxford Heaterz ($140)... but none are as expensive as the OEMs... and none that can be controlled with the existing switches on the handlebars. All of which will require a little more love to install (possible modifications required, but not necessarily).

While I'm not super interested in the grips (already have heated gloves), I only have the OEM ones on my list after much research... simply to take advantage of the integrated switch/controls. (IIRC the parts only price was ~$150-180 from my local dealer).
  11. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the hardware controller also controls the optional heated seats( as in links them to the dashboard, rear heated seated has a on/off switch at the back of the bike like the 1290)
  12. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the specifics of what was quoted? Was it a single part number or two part numbers? Do you know the part number(s)?
  13. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, with the “special” KTM throttle tube, aftermarket heated grips are not easy to install. There is a thread dedicated to this. Fwiw.
  14. David_Moen

Oddometer:

2 part numbers.

60712964044 - Heated Grips
    63712944044 - HCU Kit

Apparently the grip kit is available to order, but the HCU kit is back ordered out into May sometime.
    motokeith likes this.
  15. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, that's the two part numbers I got from the Euro dealer I chatted with a couple weeks back. Now we wait.
  16. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    That part used to be listed on the Power Parts site for the 890R and then it disappeared. I noticed the other day it's still listed for the Rally. I had asked the Eruo dealer about that part number and they said it was replaced with the two part numbers we mentioned above.

Their response based on me providing them my VIN....

tft likes this.
  18. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification, I have not received the grips yet so I don’t know yet. I will make sure before I leave the dealership! Thanks for helping!
  19. David_Moen

Oddometer:
    890_MedRes.jpg

Nothing like the smell of a new bike cooling off in the garage! :D

Only got 40km in before my numb fingers had me tapping out, so I'll reserve any judgement for now. My GS has heated grips, so the cold weather gloves are burried somewhere in a closet/bin/box/dank cellar somewhere, I'm going to have to dig them out!
  20. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened to Symtec heated grips? They were the go to grip consistently recommended on these forums years ago, and products like the Oxford range ridiculed. I ran Symtec grips on my last three bikes, they are only about $60 and plenty hot enough even through my Rukka Apollos.