2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How could I forget EE! I run one of their skid plates and attached linkage guards on my WR, that one has indeed taken a licking and is in great shape still, just minor digs, gouges, pits and drag marks from multiple seasons of abuse.

Funny how that one instance (maybe - maybe not, right!) can seem like so many more once it gets plastered across dozens of sites...
    You're probably on to something there though, if a product has a design flaw you'd expect it to drop out of the market or be revised and those designs are still for sale. :confused
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember that one. It was the stock OEM skidplate and it crumpled from a rock hit and the rock got thru and cracked front lower corner of the case by the oil filter. Indeed, the failure itself did not involve how the plate mounted, just that it is too thin to ward off a heavy hit.
    kubcat likes this.
  3. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Worst case scenario, at least the oil pan is replaceable for about $140. No need to split the cases like the older lc8 950/990.

Just keep one on the shelf, then you'll never need it.

I'm running the Enduro Engineering skid, and the plastic KTM tank guards for impact protection. The carbon fibers have been shelved. The carbon looks awesome, but the plastic seems more forgiving and cheaper to replace as needed. Seems like a good bang for the buck combo. We have trees, rocks, mud and ruts here in the Midwest that will test this setup well.
  4. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Had a bit of fun at the test track today... perhaps this little guard is worthwhile?
    RP Guard Dust Mark.JPG
    The dust mark is faint, but from gripping the bike with my Tech 7s you can see where the contact was... at the rear - where the brake line would otherwise be exposed.
    It doesn't prove it is or isn't worth the investment... but an interesting observation nonetheless.

Ran the same single track as last time and didn't need to pull the clutch in much at all with the switch to the 15T front sprocket.
    I did a "no-throttle lug-test" on flat ground and the bike pulled itself along at idle doing 6-7mph (I forget what this was with the OEM 16T, 9-11mph maybe?). Checks all the boxes for what I was looking for out of the 15T.
    At least to me, in my opinion and comparison - the Camel Adv Clutch Arm made for more modulation/engagement area when slipping the clutch through tight areas and going super slow up hills. Happy with that too, the easier clutch pull is just a bonus.
    theDoktor and motokeith like this.
  5. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick update on the 890, picked her up in January, have ridden 500km.
    Like it a lot, she's definitely peppy. Even though still breaking her in, I haven't missed the power of my previous R1200GSA yet. A little less comfortable, but that is to be expected.

Had the dreaded immobiliser failure once, was able to ride it home, but the error remained on the dashboard, hasn't popped up since. Idle seemed very low/rough at that time, so low I was worried it would stall at red lights.
    She now has a small coolant leak, seems to be the well-documented thermostat leak, scheduled a trip to the dealer next week.

My backordered heated grips arrived in February, but got a call a week later that there was a production issue and they had to send them back. Backordered again, hope they arrive this week so they can be installed when the dealer fixes the coolant leak.
  6. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so the immobilizer issue is gone ? let us know on the coolant leak since they appear to have updated parts to address that common issue. It would be something if they are still leaking at that spot with the changed parts. And let us know about grips too- thx!
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    If I were to guess they probably didn't modify the torque spec on for the clamps. They do not make them overly tight from the factory, may just need snugging up after the rubber settles. Hopefully that's the case anyway! Be interesting to see.
  8. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the immobiliser error, I was waiting at a red light, it turned green and the bike stalled immediately when I tried to ride away. I don't think it was my fault, but it being a new bike, it might have been mine, giving it the benefit of doubt. Had to press the start button several times to get it going and was greeted with the immobiliser error. Rode for 500m and stopped, turned it on and off, error wasn't gone. Then rode home for with the error on the dashboard, turned the bike off for 5 minutes and the error was gone.

With the error on the dashboard I had the feeling the idle speed was very low and a bit erratic. It stalled on me a few times at red lights, which again, I don't think was due to my poor handling of clutch/throttle. Haven't had the idle speed issue since the error is gone, they might be linked somehow.

Will update you guys when I know more on the coolant leak and the heated grips.

Quick edit: I have the alarm installed.
  9. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Regarding concerning errors - I had an interesting experience last week on a ~130ish mile ride.

It was the first and only time I've had an accessory plugged into the 12V socket - and the only times I have seen the "Key Failure" error pop up when turning the key to the "ON" position. I wasn't taking the key out as I was just stopping to take pictures and not far from the bike, turning it back to "OFF" then "ON" cleared the error.

It didn't happen 100% of the time, probably stopped and turned the bike off at 6-12 picture spots and it happened most of the time. One time I unplugged the 12V accessory and turned the key "ON" it didn't happen, but that wasn't enough testing to make it conclusive in my opinion.

Curious if anyone has had this experience or if @ynnck had anything plugged in when getting the immobilizer error.
  10. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No accessory plugged in (ever). I do have the alarm installed, which I did myself, but it’s just plugging it in in the plug under the seat.
  11. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I have my '20 790 R being traded for the '21 890 Rally. I pulled my GPS mount and disconnected the wiring off the aux wire bundle behind the headlight. I see that the new heated grips has a unique integration on the new bike (although it looks like it was pulled from the catalog). For those that have installed electronics on the bike are the two aux power connectors in that bundle behind the headlight still? I had one for always on and the other for ignition on power. Curious if those plugs are still on the Rally.
  12. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep, they are on the 890 as well.
    ducatirdr likes this.
  13. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ung.

I've been subscribing and unsubscribing from this thread for like a month trying to deny my desire to buy a 890R.

Then I finger fucked one at KTM Reno a few days ago.

Attempt to deny: futile!

Just paid a deposit, pick it up tomorrow., K&B in Petaluma.

Coming off a long line of Japanese bikes, I'm terrified of owning a KTM.

Here goes nothing!
    8lives, DCGH, ducatirdr and 3 others like this.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Rest assured that once the orange koolaide has circulated in your blood (if you have the right blood type) any issues that may pop up with the bike will seem magically small, especially if you do your own wrenching. It takes years for the effect to fade and can be refreshed with a turn of the throttle. :)
  15. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is only a problem if you admit it.
    I was too, I used a 690 as a gateway. I’ll never look back.
  16. frqflyr

frqflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traded in my 2015 1290 SuperAdventure for the 890r. No regrets. Great power to weight and light is right!

old Roman likes this.
  17. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    That made me almost spit coffee onto my Mac. LOL

KTM's make you worry. It's part of ownership. No different than many performance vehicles (Porsche for instance). The price you pay for a vehicle that far out performs the masses is niggles that could keep you up at night. It becomes a sickness because you ride the thing and realize how much better it is than any other vehicle of its type. You are now stuck in this infinite loop of desire and fear. I never want this to end followed by irrational fear that it could end. This leads to madness you see in forums.

My advise is to push that crap out of your mind and ride the bike like you stole it. Life is short and wheelies should be long.
  18. Carl_Mega

Carl_Mega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very accurate observation
    MeefZah likes this.
  19. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally installed the Twalcom mudguard, it’s a bit narrower than I’d like it to be. Might try to widen it somehow, ordered 1 extra plastic flap for that purpose.

8137D3D7-AA80-4C79-B783-F2DE47A67FF5.jpeg
    tonyubsdell and ducatirdr like this.
  20. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just picked up an 890 from K&B about a week ago. I’m coming from a GS and I am still terrified of owning a KTM. Fun little bike so far, need to figure out the wind management though. I think we will be fine-although I might just get the extended warranty.
    live2ridetahoe and DCGH like this.