2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Neville1111

Neville1111 Gone to have fun Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just purchased my 890R and had similar issues. I talked with the mechanic at the dealership and he suggested that at stop lights (and I have a bad habit of doing this) is not to rev the engine before engaging the clutch. Not sure I'm making sense but since I stopped just the random engine revving my stalling has stopped may just be coincidence but it's working for me.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's actually really interesting you say this. I do that, too... all the time.

I noticed on minute one, at the dealer, that when I blipped the throttle in neutral the RPMs would go up (obviously) but then upon release of the throttle they would drop down below normal idle for just a second, almost to a stall condition. It actually did stall a few times just sitting there idling in the lot after I blipped it.

I was thinking about that yesterday, and then on my way home from work (after posting the question) and then again this morning on the way in, I worked really hard to not do that. And I had no issues, no stalling and smoother takeoffs in first without feeling like I had to over-rev it and slip the clutch to avoid stalling.

Interesting...
  3. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was just going over my bike checking for loose bolts and such, can someone confirm if there is supposed to be a bolt here or not?
    1B82DCA4-EFD0-4AB6-9B50-AEC3C1811DC6.jpeg
  4. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not
    Hydroboy35th likes this.
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil is nice though... :)
    Hydroboy35th likes this.
  6. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and the info.
  7. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It better be, the bike only has 127mi on it lol.
  8. Oilerjet

Oilerjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of clean oil, Fortnine just released this video on “cleanliness” of factory oil as indicator of the manufacturing process.

9. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I am not happy with my Rally seat. The narrow top and standard dirt bike seat styled wedge being driven into my backside after a couple hour ride had me wishing for another alternative. I mentioned that here and also on FB with many saying the standard R seat as the way to go. I got home Saturday evening and remembered a previous purchase for my 790R. Tucked in the corner of my garage still in the box was a Seat Concepts Low seat I had ordered for my 790R. I HATED IT. It was as hard as a 2x6 to sit on and the lower height didn't help as sitting on the stock seat or sitting on the battery cover with no seat had my reach to the ground not change due to the splay of my legs by the sub frame width. I never used the seat and it sat with a couple attempts at selling it falling through. I sort of forgot it was there as it sat for over a year. So when I pulled into the garage with my sore as ever backside I went to the box and pulled the seat out. It's alcantara and carbon trim with orange thread looked OK but how would it feel on my already sore butt?

I installed the seat and it took a few trys to get everything lined up. The front buttons and the rear snaps and then the seat lock pin didn't want to line up I think I had it stored on its pronged end may have warped it. I finally got it all lined up and locked and here it is.
    27B53F60-9A71-4FB7-B77A-A1CCF488CF1F_1_201_a.jpeg 3FE65851-0ECC-41CF-859E-8E866A1C747A_1_201_a.jpeg

It looks pretty good on the bike. While not in your face Orange like the stocker it gives it a bit of classing up I think.

With my arse still sore from my few hour ride, I swung a leg over to find the lower seat height about the same height as my 790R stock set up. Perfect! Yes there is a bit more bend in the knee while riding but it doesn't feel to cramped for my smaller stature of 5'9". I took the bike for a ride and found the seat to be HARD. Yet is may be one of those all day hard seats. Time will tell. I may end up taking up the offer for a stock R seat. Let's see if this year old purchase can finally be worth while.

CC6F30E9-0877-4CB0-90CA-846B81ED2B65_1_201_a.jpeg
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice looking seat. Hard seats take some time to break in. My Tall OEM seat has softened up quite a bit.
  11. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the dreaded black tft screen on my ride today. I just stopped and turned the key off then on and it came back up. Anything I should check or just keep monitoring it?
  12. DCGH

DCGH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the dreaded "Immobilizer Fault" on Sat..same result, turn off, back on but the kill switch not the key worked fine after...these things are odd!
  13. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worth it IMO. This bike is bad ass to the max!
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent some quality garage time farkling last night.

Holy shit, getting the grips off to install Oxfords was an exercise in wrench-flinging anger. I have no idea how guys reuse stock grips over top of heating elements because the throttle grip was held on to the tube with the shit NASA uses to keep tiles on the space shuttle. I basically had to filet the grip off the tube with a utility knife and then grind off the residue with a Dremel. I left a thin ring of grip rubber on the tube to hopefully provide some friction against the Oxford to keep it from spinning around; and the fit was so tight I didn't use glue.

The clutch side came off easy after I discovered that it's held on by a bolt on the underside of the grip, underneath a rubber plug.

I'm off the next three days so it's mile-killing time.
    XArmy, DCGH and groot-stuff like this.
  15. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

One of my riding buds has the Seat Concepts Low Compfort on his 790, I called him yesterday to ask his opinion on it before I bought one, his response "Meh, it's ok I guess, it's really not that comfortable".. So I decided to buy KTM's Optimum comfort Low seat for about half the price. If it doesn't work I'll take a Turkey carving knife to the stocker and play with it. Your seat really looks nice
  16. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the SC Comfort Low on my 890... would agree that it isn't softer than the OEM seat but I don't have many miles on it either, SC does specifically state the low versions use a stiffer foam.
    The SC on my WR is the "normal" variant so the foam was much softer from day 1, but it has also softened up over time... hoping the same will happen with the low variant on my 890.

That said, I bought it for the height reduction rather than the "comfort" aspect so I'll be okay with it either way... will report back once I have more seated time on it.
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  17. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my bike back from the dealer.

- coolant leak addressed. He said it was the first 890 that had the coolant leak and had to be brought in, he’s seen loads of 790s, but the 890s was ok since the redesign. When asked what he did, he said he disassembled “it” so it was fixed. Don’t know exactly what the it is, did he disassemble the whole thermostat or just the hose, don’t know.
    - heated grips installed. They were still back ordered when I made the appointment, but they came in at the last moment. No external button as expected, controlled via the menu. Will report back when I actually have used them.
    - regarding the immobilizer failure. The mechanic asked whether I got it while riding or not, when I said it popped up after stalling, he was visibly relieved. He says it happens because the power is cut when you stall it and the bike is confused sometimes. Turning it off and on, for at least a minute and 15 seconds (it was some weird interval he mentioned, memory is hazy) should resolve the issue he said.
    groot-stuff and Matthewm like this.
  18. Matthewm

Matthewm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those updates. So the heated grips are starting to ship now I guess...at least for Europe
  19. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to say I really like the way triumph set up their heated grips on the new 900 you can see it on the dash but it has a dedicated button on the grip whish ktm would do something like that Screenshot_20210316-172241_DuckDuckGo.jpg
  20. Matthewm

Matthewm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had that on my 1200. It's convenient yeah, and maybe other manufacturers could take note.
    alonad likes this.