2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    13 days, 700 miles. R is running great, no more occasional stalling issues as I had in the first few hundred miles. No other issues.

I've got it set up more or less how I want it:

'S' model windscreen (will swap back and forth with stock as needed)
    Cycra CRMs
    Ram ball
    Altrider luggage rack (with grab handle delete)
    SAE battery tender connection
    Camel ADV head brace
    Camel ADV skid plate
    Wolfman tank bag and Wolfman tool bag (not shown)
    790 black front fender
    Oxford ADV heated grips

Still waiting on the dealer to install the tech package; they are having technical issues with the software.

[​IMG]
  2. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is one beautiful road (bike too obviously)!

I had the same issues with activating the Tech Pack, just keep pressing the dealer... I am surprised how much I enjoy the cruise control on the way to the twisties and trails lol.
    MeefZah and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. Epjzoom

Epjzoom n00b

Oddometer:
    Odd question for any Rally owners (lucky you are indeed).

In the English manual, actually all of them, the fork compression settings look odd, as in they don’t have a progression of recommended clicks that goes down like in every other KTM manual, and even for the Rally, in the other sections for rebound, shock comp etc.

Basically, fork comp for the softer comfort setup in the 890 manual is 16 clicks, then standard is 20, then sport is 10, and max payload is 8. This looks to be in all the 890 manuals and is just weird. Asking bc a buddy has a Rally and didn’t love it at higher speed, so I looked at helping him baseline his settings and ....possibly a typo no? The first two should be reversed is my thought.

Every other suspension setup section in the manual is just progressively less/more clicks as you would expect, and similar for other KTM models too, just not the front fork comp for the Rally, which is what a dealer would then use during pre sale checks right?
  4. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the manual is in error. I have a 790 rally, and run very soft on both fork compression damping and rear shock HSC. so i run it at the top end of 'soft', up around 30 clicks on both. and Chris Birch has made same comments.
  5. VandallusBand

VandallusBand Motorcycles, Music, Guns, Bang Your Head, Bleed!!

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone else is dealing with my issue. Just broke the 100 mile mark on my 890 Adventure R and today was the third time I was stranded with a battery that wouldn't turn over. Bike had a full charge and started perfect this morning reading 12.5v and once started showed 14.5v. I rode for 30 minutes to work, parked, removed the key, and worked a half day. When I came back out to start the bike it just clicked and the battery is now reading 11v. I had to jump start it... This has happened 3 times randomly since I bought the bike already. I even trickle charged the battery overnight and took it to the dealer for a load test because I thought the battery was defective. I argued with them and they assured me the battery is fine and it worked for a few days flawlessly after. I thought the issue was resolved, but unfortunately returned today. I'm not sure whether the battery is defective or I'm dealing with one of the amazing KTM electrical issues? Cheers
  6. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's everyone's luggage option for commuting? I'm in the process of getting rid of my 1290sar that's got mosko bc35's which I can carry my lunch and various other items. I'm not sure I'll put the moskos on the 890 or go reckless system for trips, to keep the weight down by eliminating the need for pannier rack.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!
  7. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    I chose the Perun rear rack plate because it is predrilled to accept the mounting hardware for a Givi Monokey top box. So I have 40L of lockable storage that when removed leaves nothing behind to interfere with soft rackless bags or duffels.
  8. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an intermittent cell short.
    I had this happen to me, not with the 790 though.
    I was expecting mine to go bad but it hasnt.

Last time I was at the shop they had a pile of new defective batteries on the floor being replaced on a variety of KTM models.
    VandallusBand likes this.
  9. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:

my friend and i picked 790's at the same time, same dealer. his battery did eactly that, and mine was fine. after a week the dealer replaced the battery and no more issues.
    VandallusBand likes this.
  10. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    12.5v isn't a full charge on a FLA acid battery. Even less on an AGM and getting crazy low on a LiFePO4 battery, so it sounds like something isn't right with the battery. You've said you've seen 14.5v so the charging system is working. You could use a clamp meter to see what sort of amperage is going into the battery, but it shouldn't be necessary.
    kubcat and VandallusBand like this.
  11. Oilerjet

Oilerjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. I had written off top boxes as a solution but these look really good. I especially like the looks of the DLM30 box. For commuting this seems like a great idea and beats a backpack for my needs.
  12. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:

I checked when i got home. 24 clicks on the fork compression, 35 on the shock HSC
  13. VandallusBand

VandallusBand Motorcycles, Music, Guns, Bang Your Head, Bleed!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and ordered one of those Antigravity ATZ-10-RS Lithium Batteries to save a few pounds and hopefully solve this issue
  14. Chivvalry

Chivvalry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sort of the same thing... got the Altrider rear rack and the Givi mounting hardware for it. Givi top box works fantastic for commuting and comes off for real rides.
  15. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took a little work for me to get exactly what I need, so here's a list to make it simple for you...

1) Perun rack and subplate (optional, but you'll want it)
    2) Givi Kappa Z2710 Rubber Bungs / Spacers (order 2 sets because you'll want spares)
    3) Givi E115F Junction Kit (the actual mounts)

I ordered the Z2710 kit form here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-Kappa...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered the E115F kit from here:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...edium=email&utm_source=RevZilla&sku_id=766203

Because the Perun Rack is not super thick, the two bolts in the E115F kit that mount the "pyramid" to the plate are slightly too long. You can either source two shorter bolts or shim them with washers on the bottom side of the rack. They are the same thread pitch as the M6 bolts used all over KTM bikes so I had suitable extras lying around from various projects.

The Perun subplate is not required, but using it puts the rack in a much more aesthetically pleasing position where it is inline with the slope of the seat and tail. I think it looks kind of goofy without the subplate where the rack is parallel to the ground and I think the top box will really look odd like this.

I went with the Givi V40 box because it is reasonably priced and easily holds a full-face DS helmet. The DLM30 is really nice looking, and the optional exact fit bag for it could be real nice for moving your stuff between house, bike, and office. Whichever way you end up going, remember this mounting system is specifically for "Monokey" Givi boxes and not the cheaper "Monolock" system of boxes.

Here are some picks to show the setup. The "pyramid" is the part at the rear that engages the locking mount mechanism on the top box. The two mushroom nubs up front just slip into slots on the top box. The four rubber spaces just shim out any rattle from the mounting system. This stuff is all pretty low profile and I have no problem strapping soft duffles to the rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    To add a few specific pics to my summary of farkles post above:

Altrider rear rack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camel ADV skid plate (aka gut guard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxford controller mounted on 2" aluminum scrap

[​IMG]

...and a comparison of the S screen to the R screen (low setting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rich Rider, Hydroboy35th and frqflyr like this.
  17. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the top box, you can also browse in syrac.es a model made for givi monokey

Good looking and affordable

[​IMG]

But... Now, after seeing here, I love the Perun rack :(
  18. Chivvalry

Chivvalry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's what she looks like with a Givi V47 mounted on the altrider plate. ktmgiviv47.jpg
    chevmekanik likes this.
  19. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bike has developed a pimple on it’s a$$!
    frqflyr and Chivvalry like this.
  20. Jewcati

Jewcati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubya Wheels and mosko r80 and r10 showed up at my house

IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg