2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Gremlins
  2. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not as experienced as CJ, but have run 16-22 PSI on the rear without exception with no rim lock, and have had no issues. Majority of my riding is slower/technical, and I'm using the PP wheels.
    groot-stuff likes this.
  3. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    So to be clear, I'm riding a 790 Rally, with tubed wheels. Not an 890 as this thread is about.

I have run the oem tires down to about 20 psi for offroad testing and I have noticed tire slip on the rear rim b/c the valve stem has started to lean. That could have been the high speed field runs with low height lip jumps landing with the throttle on. But this was with the oem tires. Add a more aggressive tire and it normally just gets worse.

On my 950 Adv I normally don't go less than 25 when off road for the same reason. So this test confirmed I need a rim lock and/or need to keep the psi a little higher on the 790 as well. Thats why I'd like to test a mousse and rim lock for aggressive race/trail riding.

I've not set up the 790 with luggage yet, other than a tail rack so I can toss on a soft bag for my tent and bag, plus some clothes for 3-4 day rides and my tank bag. So not a very heavy load. With luggage or passenger it'd run higher psi. I found with my 950Adv, I'd never go below 30psi in the front for safety and avoid pinch flats. 30psi in the rear, or 25psi if I was solo and running mixed dirt.

All psi specs are cold.

The 790 is a much lighter and smaller bike than the 950Adv bike, but still no 500exc. I'll keep testing tires and psi setting to stay in the safe no pinch flat zone.

I also have not ridden 2 up with my wife on the 790 yet. I'm 6'4", so I feel this is going to be a much less comfortable ride for the 2 of us. I plan to keep the 950AWD Adv delegated for 2 up use when needed.

Here is what the IRC M5B looked like after about 200 miles. If I'd been in dirt, mud, sand. It would have lasted much better. Plenty good for a 60 mile hare scramble. 20210401_151522.jpg 20210401_151441.jpg
    pk1791, EvilSteve, offworlder and 2 others like this.
  4. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    What tires are you running on that setup?
    Is the front a 1.85"?
    Rear 2.5"?
  5. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks!
    Your specifying of the OEM tires is an important note for those that are less inclined about rims, tires, pressures and "inflation medium" (tubes, tubeless, tubliss, mousse)... different tire/rim/inflation medium combinations can have different results depending on the tread style/composition, sidewall plies, rim width, etc. etc. etc.
  6. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct, re PP wheels sizes. Re tires, Pirelli Scorpion Rally front, Dunlop 606 rear.
    cjracer likes this.
  7. abandoned track

abandoned track Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not seen it reported yet for the 790/890 Enduro, but has anyone experienced overheating of the engine? The reason I ask is because of the design of the fuel tank it seems like it would limit airflow and then with some of the skid plate/engine guards I have seen, appearing like they further limit airflow.

At this point in time for the 890, probably most of the experience of riding in 90+ degrees (32+ celsius) is with the Southern hemisphere riders.
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've not seen any reports of overheating issues either and prowl the 790/890 forums pretty regular. I've gotten my 790 hot enough to boil the gas on a long slow stretch of terrain one time and even then the motor temp itself was fine. Overheating the motor seems to be a non-issue.
    tonyubsdell and cjracer like this.
  9. abandoned track

abandoned track Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "hot enough to boil the gas" --- that was my other concern
  10. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you should probably stick to the Japanese bikes...:hide
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody?

Were the questions too stupid to bother answering

or were they too smart? :lol3
  12. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    either way is fine as its "technically" overfilled at that level anyway. If you check warm it will be a bit higher than if you checked when cold. I personally prefer to check after its warm, so any oil in the top end will thin out and I think its a bit more accurate.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-chain-slack-whats-correct.1453243/
    MeefZah and groot-stuff like this.
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Pump gas can have an amazingly low boiling point. It's not a cause for concern. Heck, some "winter blend" pump gas has butane added to it and Butane boils at 32F. So basically once it hits 32F it's outgassing the same stuff a BIC lighter does out the vent line. Watch out for sparks! LOLOLOL.
    kirill_k and alonad like this.
  14. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    His tire was throwing roost 100 feet back, 100 feet high of pure railroad ballast. I know because I was behind him.

IMG_20210402_194944.gif
    Nowwhat, eRdd, ErGuss and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tjf1967

Tjf1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm dumb and didn't know that. I feel better about the boiling gas. Glad I don't smoke anymore.
    windblown101 likes this.
  16. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I’ve boiled the fuel in every motorcycle I’ve ever owned come to think of it. Especially my Honda XR650l!
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Roosting so hard it knocked over a 790.... :jack 20210327_163012.jpg
    Such a great day of 790 chasing.
    kirill_k, Dan D., kzeb and 1 other person like this.
  18. robin_nerf

robin_nerf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a small "goodie bag" I got a small pouch with some tools in, isent this suppose to have a compartment under the seat ? Also, when I lifted the seat I saw a loose cable, what's that ? (The big one on the left with mudguard over it)
    20210404_201755.jpg 20210404_142501.jpg
  19. windblown101

Oddometer:
    You have the two storage boxes in the rear side panels you can use or it may fit in the recessed area where the air filter lid is.

The large plug is for the optional alarm system.
    old Roman likes this.
  20. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top of oil window sits 4-5 cm below the clutch. I cant see it make a difference. Clutch is getting oil from pump, not bathing in it..