1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. koekeroe

koekeroe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • be sure to post some pics also.
    • Where that plug is
    • How you routed the grip harness on bike too
    Thx
    KTM are such dickheads with wiring -why not put the front acc wires easy to get just under GPS cover plate with some really slack or by the under door with some real slack
    and the heated grip wire you looking for up by headstock so no need to pull tank

They build great bikes but really have some work to do on:
    • Electrocnics
    • customer service
    • software
    • dealer training
    • listing to customer
    • when someone is an issue thats common step up and fix it for the group
    there are isolated success stories- but after owning like 6 of them I like the bikes, not the company crazy right :-)
  4. CraigR12

CraigR12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a look at the new Mosko Reckless 80 in orange tempImagekUuyvG.jpg tempImageDh6H0Z.jpg
    braaap!, Dan D., Dan Lorenze and 12 others like this.
  5. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks super nice. Hows the bike handle the weight that far back? Looks like the optimum mounting position.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had 3 Seat Concepts seats. They've all sucked. Well, better than stock but not much. In the past I've had seats from Sargent, Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Renazco.. I'm convinced Seat Concepts exists because they're reasonably priced. I won't buy another.
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  7. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another Rally hit the wild. Won’t get to ride it for three weeks. Friend pick it up for me and I will meet him in Colorado. A9B8C0FA-0B33-426B-BC80-FB7F37824811.jpeg
    pjh66, BHoward, cjracer and 5 others like this.
  8. puncheur

puncheur Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. CraigR12

CraigR12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    tempImageWGkQVx.jpg
    Altrider...
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  10. CraigR12

CraigR12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have to get back to you on that one. As you can see this thing just came out of winter storage. Still too shiny. I'll put some miles on it and let you know my thoughts on how it feels loaded up. In terms of location, I still have about 3" left to go on the Altrider rack I have installed. There's room to move it back farther but I wanted to keep some open space for other gear. There is also a little less exposure to the exhaust by pulling the luggage forward on the bike.
    tft likes this.
  11. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really ridicoulous KTM policy to have customer pay extra money for already overpriced bike as it is, to have cruise control button work etc.
  12. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Maybe someday UNICEF will get into the motorcycle business and give you free upgrades
  13. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The alternative is they make everyone pay for cruise control (via a higher MSRP)... even if they don't want it.
    What if you didn't want Rally mode, MSR or the Quick Shifter and we're forced to pay a higher MSRP because there was no option...
    Hydroboy35th and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  14. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! Vaccinated! But Canada no want our money Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vote with your feet, or your dollars -- buy the next best bike. Which bike is that?
    There's a term "NRE" -- Non-Recoverable Engineering.
    If they want to offer the feature to anyone at all, they have to figure out how to pay for that engineering.
    If they're competing with a bunch of other bike manufacturers who are all starting to offer these features
    (which they are), would you rather your stripped-down model lose to those competitors and be more expensive?
    Point is, it's all pretty complicated, they're not getting rich this year, so maybe reserve harsh judgement.
    There is no Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg of motorcycles.
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder though if anyone doesn't get that stuff
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  16. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can see your point.. I don't like the trend either. It's odd to have the cruise control switch on the bike in stock form yet it doesn't work until you pay extra for them to turn it on. Cruise Control on the 890 sounds wonderful until that very moment you find out you have to pay extra for it. lol
    BronNowo likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't really mind paying to play. Last yr was a bust, and the first yr I wasn't really interested in the CC or QS. So waiting till yr 3 and only then paying for some extras I'll likely finally enjoy seems alright.

What would really be cool is if my 790 asked me to insert my CC every time I disabled the rear ABS or zero'd out the TC, so I could receive some sort of reimbursement. :photog
    Dan D., cjracer and tonyubsdell like this.
  18. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pre-installed switch has been discussed before... It's cheaper for the end customer (us) to have the switch installed as OEM and only have to pony up for activation. It is only 1 part for KTM to manufacture as well... the 790 had the OEM left control switch without cruise & KTM had to manufacture another part # with cruise (+cost), stock it (+inventory cost) and make it available to us (+shipping cost). Any that sit in a warehouse are wasted costs which = reduced revenue for KTM. So on the surface it may appear like a smack in the face, but it's actually a better model through a purely business lens.

Ask any 790 owner who had to pay parts and labor for adding the switch + activation on top of that. Not to mention a trip to the dealer or waiting longer to pick it up after it's built.
    I wonder how many 790 owners have a left control switch sitting in a box somewhere, no market to sell it... basically non-recyclable waste.

So at least to me... while it sucked to pay "extra" for the 4 items, KTM has tried to make it easier this time around (890 vs 790 experience). The Tech Pack got me all 4 of the electronics upgrades for ~$500 USD (at least at my dealer). If I didn't want one of the 4 I could have saved some coin.

Personally, I did my research and negotiated activation of them as part of the initial transport immobilizer unlock. Worked out for me, no extra labor cost.
  19. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, just go look at a new BMW automobile. They do have options that you can be billed for every month. All computer programmed. Works just like television subscriptions. I see it as a hassle, but then again, I don't have to pay for what I do not want.
  20. pjh66

pjh66 lost in the sauce

Oddometer:
    Nice.