2021 KTM 890 Adventure / Adventure R / Adventure R Rally

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 06Z, Oct 6, 2020.

1. from_ky

from_ky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in the market for a new bike. I’m really wanting to like the 890, but some of the reported 790 shortfalls worry me.

Did KTM change out the brake rotors? I know there were complaints of warping, rivets elongating, etc.

Is the cruise control issue resolved? Some 790 folks were reporting cruise control intermittently working.

Does the off-road abs still revert back to road abs with a start button press?

How reliable is all the Electronic gizmos? Mud, sand, water and electronics don’t go together well without proper care.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. NextAdventre

NextAdventre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked my 890 up last week. I can answer at least one question: The Offroad ABS holds when the key is cycled, stalls, etc.
    Crazysheep likes this.
  3. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heated grips success!
    Yes, you do have to take the tank off. No it’s not that bad. A few pics and I’m happy to answer any questions just dm me. I don’t have the energy to write a whole post out. In the first pic I am pointing to the location of the connector that attaches to the bottom of the new control box that is attached to a dummy plug from factory.

Attached Files:

4. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was similarly concerned prior to purchase and talked myself out of the bike a few times before I finally pulled the pin. I'm glad I did. I'm at 3500 miles (in a month) and very pleased. No issues, except going through rear tires!

CC works 100% and is actually the best motorcycle CC I've used. Locks right to the speed and allows 5 mph round up adjustments which are really user friendly (speed limits generally change in 5 or 10 mph increments).

Rotors are Galfer and I've been checking them for looseness. Nada. Brakes are really good, and I think KTM learned from and updated the 790's bad parts.

My electronics have been 100%. No issues, no dead TFT, etc. I do get infrequent moisture in the corners of the display, but it goes away pretty quickly. Ask me if I give a shit! LOL

Really there's nothing I don't like about this bike, and I'm no KTM fanboy. This is my first new one (I had a used 690 for a minute). I trust it.
  5. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

yeah, KTM started behave like BMW does.... how was it? bring my wallet motto? LOL
  6. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    but does it hold now ABS at all settings?
  7. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can set your abs and it stays.
  8. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my seat from seat concepts finally, I got the standard height/comfort. Some have reported dissatisfaction with seat concepts I for one think it’s great. The grip is way better (stock seat isn’t bad) and the slope is pretty much gone so it’s not pushing my manhood into the tank. It also wins in the looks department the orange stitching and carbon on the seat look great.
    994EFC93-1FC1-49C2-9270-B21DFE335813.jpeg 8F221836-F4D5-43ED-BCE7-45CB71ABF121.jpeg
  9. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    That seat looks nice. It will be handy when you hit your first deep mudhole, dab your way through it, and then try standing on those pegs. :hide
  10. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit!
  11. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    I'm with @kubcat on this. Might want to loose the rubber inserts on the pegs when you go off-road.
    If you don't mind, could you tell us what your inseam is? That dimension is really important in figuring out the right seat height and the right (for you) seat-to-footpeg dimension.
  12. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never said ANYTHING about going off road and y’all are talking about rubber inserts on the pegs lol. I was simply showing the new seat. I grew up on dirt bikes, raced motocross, been Jeeping and riding motorcycles (on and off road) for decades. I’m fully aware of rubber inserts on the pegs smh lol. Now back on topic and to answer your question about THE SEAT I have a 34in inseam.
  13. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a kind of an out of left field comment since the subject was your new seat but nonetheless not inaccurate. Rubber top pegs get slick as ice once there is some mud on them or the soles of ones boots. I can't recall when my first experience was with that but it was rude, and painful.
  14. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... otherwise known as a JOKE (albeit with some truth, as all the best jokes are). This isn't "the seat thread", its the all around 890 ADV thread. I even put a modifying emoji in the post as I have been instructed to in the past so as not to be taken TOO seriously. Now how does that phrase go? - You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people - NEVER!:ksteve
  15. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seat looks great... You should pull those rubbers out of the foot pegs though....
  16. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    Why is it that my non-fancy, non-TFT 1090 had auto off turn signals, but my 890 with cruise control and quick shift does not? Seems odd. Oh well, it's not like it's hard to push the switch. Just hard to remember to :D.
  17. Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and don’t get me started on the foot pegs LOL. I posted a pic of my new seat on the bike IN THE GARGE and some want to talk about rubber inserts on the pegs haha
    roookie1, BHoward and Nowwhat like this.
  18. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    wonder if changing these ktm brakes to brembo would be like simple 1 to 1 swap. Somehow don't trust ktm branded brakes...
  19. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing, posted a unrelated pic and the rubber inserts set of 1 or 2. The funny thing is I still have them in. I have always removed them however left these installed. I typically ride in the desert with a few water crossing. They were a little slippery in some mud, but to me, I like them.
    Now, if I plan on riding in a muddy place or think they might be a problem, I'll remove easy pezy.
    old Roman likes this.
  20. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be aware they require a tool to remove so if you plan on doing it trailside you can't just "pluck " them out
    BHoward likes this.