2021 KTM Duke 200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jul 29, 2020.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    "Made in India, the KTM 200 Duke could also be a strong contender on price, and our spies are telling us that a price tag of $4000 can be expected when the bike is announced, which is $1,500 cheaper than the KTM 390 Duke.

With a seat height that’s an inch lower than the 390 (31.6″), and a dry weight of 309 lbs (140 kg), the KTM 200 Duke should be a motorcycle that new riders can find approachable and easy to learn on."

[​IMG]
    Chillis likes this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I think it looks great, but is a 390 really that intimidating? Seems an odd choice to bring this one to the states.
    BobcatSig, Chillis and LuciferMutt like this.
  4. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe everyone doesnt have the almost 50% more that the 390 costs....
    RightChoice likes this.
  5. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which begs the question, which corners were cut to make the 200 so much cheaper than the 390? Just because it's smaller displacement that doesn't mean it's cheaper to manufacture. Or perhaps KTM plans to use it as a loss leader.
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Rounding 37.5% up to 50% to make an argument is a bit aggressive, no?
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Seems like a waste of resources to bring this bike to the US market. There can't be that much demand for a Duke even smaller than the 390, nonetheless a 200cc thumper in the states. I don't get it, KTM.

What competing motorcycle is this supposed to take on? What does KTM think is stealing sales from them in a <250cc segment?
    Xchemie likes this.
  8. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    37.5% plus taxes. It all adds up. The entire point of these bikes in North America is that they are entry products, and every penny counts, no?
  9. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a strange decision....
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    C'mon, dude... Tax gets applied at the same rate no matter the price. Once fixed costs like freight, setup and doc fees are added I bet it's actually even smaller of a jump, not more.

I agree that entry products need entry price points, but I have to side with @LuciferMutt - I'm not sure what slice of the market they think they're missing out on. I suppose some of the smallest streetbike offerings from the Japanese brands undercut the 390 by a few hundred bucks (seems things like the R3, CBR300, etc are right around the $5,000 mark), but the Duke 200 just feels like too much of a correction - yeah, it's a good bit cheaper than those Japanese 300s and 400s, but it's also a good bit less powerful. Put another way, I have a hard time imaginging a customer who chose a CBR300 over a Duke 390 would have instead chosen a Duke 200 over the Honda.

The 200 Duke would compare well against something like a VanVan or a TW, but they're not really the same kind of bike so again, I'm not sure a typical customer would be cross-shopping them.

Not to mention, I can walk into my local dealer and buy a leftover 2019 390 Duke for $3900. Kinda doubt it's still there because it's just too much bike...
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    available in asia for years, the 250s are going to 400 now. this bike has the performance of the 250s with much less weight.Not as light as a 250 ducati diana at 225 lbs but should be fun.
    frog13 likes this.
  12. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    KTM Grom
    tqizzle, Wallachian Spikes and frog13 like this.
  13. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki also offers the GSX250R in the USA for around $4500, and you can probably still find leftover GW250s in many Suzuki dealers. They still list it on their website. It's worth noting that KTM now sells more motorcycles in the USA than Suzuki.

It does seem weird, and my first thought was that a 200 Duke would cannibalize some some Duke 390 sales. But KTM are one of the few manufacturers actually growing sales in USA. This may be them keeping the throttle pinned with a loss leader to bring even more people to the brand.
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I have to admit I don't follow these smaller bikes very closely, but I feel like I've heard the Suzuki GSX250R is a poor seller overall, and regarded as the worst choice among the 'my first sportbike' field - too bad, really, since it looks great.

Speaking of looks, I do have to admit the Duke 200 is a looker (as is the 390... both are far nicer to look at than the 690).

I wonder if this bike might actually do well in urban markets, where a customer might be cross shopping scooters but wants something more sporty/agressive looking and has no need or intent to break 45mph (I'm not saying this bike can't go faster, just that it's not its happy place).
    Sid Post likes this.
  15. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Less engine obviously, and no TFT dash or connectivity stuff, no supermoto mode (disengage rear ABS), smaller front disc, no adjustable levers, no slipper clutch...

Not sure what else, but those are what I notice from looking at the Duke 200 on KTM India site.
    Mykola, AllSeasonRider and KeithU like this.
  16. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt the slightly smaller engine saves much on cost, but those other components will probably save a little. Hopefully it's still reasonably reliable. I'm still going with "loss leader" though, which is not a bad move for them. It'll be interesting to see if it actually sells.
  17. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, it doesn't, not from a manufacturer standpoint. Part of why modern 600s are so close in price to modern 1000s.

But from a market standpoint, the less powerful version of the same machine has to cost less. In India they even have a Duke 125 and 250 as well, so the 125s probably the base, and adding power to the 200 goes up a bit, and adding power and some extra goodies to the 250 goes up, then all the "stuff" on the 390 puts it at the top. The engine is probably mostly the same bits for all of them.

So it's partly add-ons which do raise cost (er, price might be the more correct term I think?), partly marketing. It might even be a bit of a loss leader like you say, not sure. Might have to see if they send out to all dealers, or if they target any group/area in particular.
  18. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Some people might remember the BMW R850R from the 1990s. It was weird that BMW even offered it because it was simply the R1100R with a smaller cylinder bore. So arguably the R850R cost slightly more to manufacture than the R1100R because there was more material in the cylinders. Yet they had no choice but to sell the R850R for less due to market expectations.

It doesn't appear that the Duke 390 and Duke 200 have nearly so much in common.
    AZbiker and Matt-J2 like this.
  19. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't realized the 390 Duke got so much tech (add an LED headlight to the list).

It certainly helps explain the price gap better.
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  20. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike seems directly aimed at Honda's CB300R which is a huge sales success worldwide but a sales dud in NA.
    Sid Post likes this.