2021 KTM Duke 200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Mykola

Mykola Stoked

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for being such a small bike the ergos on the Grom are pretty open
  2. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pointed out some of the differences elsewhere in the thread, but you need to consider OTD w/ fees on the 390 as well.

It's $3,999+ $450 freight + Tax + whatever the dealer adds.
    vs
    $5,499+ $450 freight + Tax + whatever the dealer adds.

It's $1,500+ cheaper. I mean, I'd spring for the 390 as well, but it's not fair to tack on the extra costs for the 200 and not do the same for the 390.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sat on one and its firing well above its $3999 price by what I saw. 25ish Hp said to go to near 30 with a tune and pipe. If its smoother than the 390 I could see buying one.

The hand grips were crap, but not much else was obviously as low budget.
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  4. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw one in Kalispell, Montana of all places last Saturday while waiting to get a tire repaired. It's remarkable how quickly they've gotten this to market. For a $4k bike it looks great, I think they'll sell a bunch.
    Navin likes this.
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I wonder how does it measure against Honda 250, not Duke 390.
    Navin and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

My current about towner is a 18-20 HP air cooled 2v carbed 5 speed and it has a cruise of 68/70mph and top speed isn't much higher due to power limitations, 72/73. If the 200 is 25 hp it should match/best my 250 easily. My other bike doesn't have much time in sumoto form but at 28HP it pulls the bike mentioned above with ease and the 6 speed trans gives it a mellower cruise RPM at 70. Doubtful the 200 has a WR box though.

I put a tuner on my RC390 with the stock exhaust to cure its fueling horrors. Id expect this needs the same if the dealers +5hp claim is even close.
  7. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Silly choice for a 77 year old? For years I've been hemming and hawing about replacing my TU250. Have primarily three criteria: (1) a bit more power (2) cast wheels/tubeless tires and (3) ABS. This little Duke seems to "check all the boxes" and at a rather attractive price. Certainly I'm not the target market for KTM but for a rider who would rarely would see - much less exceed - 70 MPH and for whom a 100 mile day is a big deal it really has me thinking. (No dealer in Delaware though).
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Any Honda dealers?

https://powersports.honda.com/street/neo-sports-cafe/cb300r

[​IMG]
  9. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Blows grass in the road

Oddometer:
    I'm probably part of the target market for this. I have no desire to get a KTM 'big bike' (to include the 390), as I already have two big bikes. But I do have a Grom for fooling around, and I'm really considering trading it in on one of these.

My ride to work has a small bit of highway, that I don't like taking the Grom on because I don't like being "that slow guy". This bike would be no worries, but still small enough to be a fun hooligan bike.
    MoreCheese and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I was at my local KTM dealer this am for a few odds and ends (spent a whole $12 :lol3), and I was told if I had been there yesterday, I could have ridden one. Nothing I need, though I always like to take advantage of offers like that.
    They did have 2 on the floor, but their bikes are packed in like sardines, and I didn't have the time to dig one out. If there had been an 890 next to it. I might have made time. :D
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    As a Van Van owner, 45mph is the sweet spot. Rev's are a bit high at 50mph but, I don't feel like I'm abusing her. If the sweet spot of the Duke 200 isn't 50-60mph, I'd say it's a turd wrapped up in a sexy package.

Edit: The VV is an air cooled, 2 valve motor. The 200 Duke is liquid cooled, 4 valves w/DOHC. Don't remember the VV HP stats but, I know it's sub 20hp. The Duke claims 25HP. It' should easily cruise 60mph & I wouldn't be surprised if she topped out a bit over 80mph.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just watched a vid review on this bike. Most of it was useless but one nugget, top comfortable RPM cruise speed is about 63 MPH. The guy said it was screaming its guts out at 70/75 MPH.

That puts it close enough to the street performance level of my 2V air cooled five speed 250. No mention of vibration, so its probably smooth at least. Maybe it could pull a +1 CS sprox.
    WilVis and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Our school is getting 10 this weekend so I'll try and post up some comments.
    augerdin likes this.
  14. proeliator

proeliator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I demoed one and was hopeful for a fun little bike. What i found is there was NO sweet spot for power. It isn't down low, at mid range or at the top. I wanted to wring the thing out but its just so flat all the way up to the rev limiter that I was disappointed. No pull at all. I like small cc bikes but this thing just felt cheap and slow and sounded like a bucket of marbles. Typical divey undersprung suspension for its class. I would rather have a grom/z125 or step up to the 390/r3/300s. Even a burgman 400 would be more exciting and more practical. Might replace some nighthawk 250s as a good MSF bike due to the ergos but that's about it. Swing and a miss KTM.