2021 Motorcycles.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by The_Precious_Juice, Sep 16, 2020.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

yeah, with the relaxed ergos and tight wheel base for a cruiser, she will handle well.
    jacktwitch likes this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-11-25_18-9-19.png
    2020 Softail Slim
    $15,999

671lbs. :imaposer

This is the closes bike I could find that sort of looks like the Rebel. $6,700 price difference. You could get a Honda CB500X with the change!!
    Or a CBR500R.
    Glenn247 and jacktwitch like this.
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The slim is a lot more cc, like half as much again, the rebel 1000 and 500 are closer in capacity

The rebel is closer to the Triumph Bobber

download-3.jpeg
    Rick G likes this.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Nobody cares about cc. What matters is weight, torque, and HP.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    So... where did all the factory scramblers go? Basically all there is now is a $14,000 Triumph 1200, an $8000 Ducati Scrambler 400 (with $1500 desmo valve adjustment every 7500 miles), and... the $6200 Benelli Leoncino that I posted previously. That's it.

Charles.
    jacktwitch likes this.
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph has the 900cc street scrambler

Ducati has the larger scrambler line up including the desert sled.

Plenty of bikes for what is a limited market
    roma258 and daveinva like this.
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe people are figuring out the Scramblers are still what they always were... street bikes with high pipes, not very capable off road rides for fun riding. Maybe great for dirt/gravel roads, but nothing most really want to fight with when the road turns to deep, deep ruts or washed out trails with ruts, roots, and rocks. :zilla

But they look cool.:nod
    Nick MN likes this.
  9. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best thing about adv bikes is long travel suspension which scrambers don't have
    William Wolfen likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    To be fair, a Royal E. Hima is like a Scrambler. A good urban assault tool.
    Lots of torque.

The bikes that are marketing as scramblers are too heavy and expensive to drop for me.

[​IMG]
    this is more like it.
    What is like this that comes out now?
    High Country Herb likes this.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    That's why I bought an SSR Buccaneer 250i Cafe racer and modded it into a scrambler. It started with 8" of ground clearance, but I swapped a 19" front rim and a 17" rear rim in place of the 17 and 15 inchers it had stock, and gave it a good 9" of clearance. It came with a skid plate, a headlight guard, and handlebars with a crossbrace already. I made a custom seat and did a bunch of minor mods (crossbar pad, hand guards, luggage rack, exhaust, conti escape tires) and this is my dirt road destroyer now:

buck1.jpg

I originally purchased a Yamaha SCR950 back in 2017, and it was such a useless pig everywhere except smooth pavement that I built the above bike out of disgust mostly. The little 250 is a blast on dirt roads, and it cost me $3203 out the door in Feb 2019. List is $3699 but SSR is always running a $300 instant rebate program.

While I love this thing for urban and backroad use... it's not a highway bike. I'd love something with a little more oomph. That's why I'm looking at the 2021 Benelli Leoncino 500 right now.

Charles.
    augerdin, roma258 and runpet like this.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for brining up the SCR950, which only had one year in the USA.

She was $8,699. Her biggest problem was that she came from the Cruiser Bolt family, which inflates prices cause Harleys are so expensive.
    She looked fantastic and was functional on the road, but the price was crazy.
    $8,699 in 2017 had the same buying power as $9,258.99 in 2020

The Honda Rebel 1100 is just $600 more than the SCR was in 2017! And the dash is way better and there are some more electronic stuff too.
    The torqe to weight ratio destroys the 950.

The folks in the corporate office tried to have their cake and eat it too with the 950, and consumers would have none of it. Especially when the pipe is right there where you put your foot, and you get a really shitty dash.
    AZbiker likes this.
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It’s worse than that. Everything on the scr950 is ridiculously heavy. Not over-built heavy, but heavy for no good reason heavy. And it’s barely suitable for the street. The rear suspension has 1.7” of travel and every pothole destroys my back. It’s only suitable for a completely smooth road.

It’s so poorly designed the bike scrapes in every single curve. I had to raise the suspension an inch to get reasonable cornering clearances and even then it still barely has any ground clearance. I hit the bash plate HARD on a rock that any other bike would have glided right over.

This of course makes an already top heavy bike even worse.

Charles.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the value was not there.

The Rebel 1100 should have amazing value. The bike is a sleeper Muscle Bike. I think for the first time the Rebel name might apply here.
    AZbiker likes this.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    At very least, it is by far the most talked-about new bike on the forum full of adv riders...
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I loved the look and I got it for $2000 below MSRP, so there was *some* value there, at least for me. BUT I really would have been better off waiting and getting the RE650. I just was tired of waiting, I was without a running motorcycle and the itch was too great. The Royal Enfield was what I really wanted at the time, but there was no set release date for them in the USA back then, and I wasn't willing to risk being an early adopter either.

Buying the SCR950 changed that in me. Now I'd rather be an early adopter and get something cool and what I want - and deal with any quirks or problems that might occur - than get a "compromise" bike.

Charles.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Well, I finally got around to looking into the CRF300L Rally.

The heart of the new CRF300 platform is a 286cc fuel-injected DOHC engine mated to a 6-speed gearbox. The engine puts out 31 horsepower and 19.3 ft-lbs of torque compared to the previous 250cc engine’s 22.8 horsepower and 16 ft-lbs of torque. That’s a 36% increase in power which is sure to give both bikes even greater long-range cruising capability for the highway, along with more hill climbing grunt for the trail. To make it even more manageable to ride aggressively, Honda has also added a slipper clutch
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/crf300l-crf300-rally-unveiled-thailand/

And the juice increased a .8 gallons, for 3.4 gallons. 70mpg X 3.4= 238 miles or 383km.
    3.4 is what the MIGHTY DR has. But she was lucky to get 60mpg.

___
    This will do just fine for a lot of riders on this site, if they keep the price the same as the Rally ABS.

__
    Sadly, by the time she gets to the USA, she will need to compete with a new WR250R, or something from Suzuki or Kawi. Just guessing.
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    No and no. At least for me.

Rick G
    Hamamelis likes this.
  20. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    life's too short for Chinese bikes. except for Taiwanese ones, those I'll allow
    AZbiker likes this.