2021 new Suzuki Hayabusa Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by david61, Jan 28, 2021.

1. misinformed

misinformed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way. My ZX14 was an '09, no ABS or traction control. Pure power. Such a thrill, every time.

I'm really interested in the new 'busa. Now that I'm a little older I'm thinking all those electronics are probably not a bad idea!
  2. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    You older riders like me that need a less back , neck and wrist straining handlebar angle that bikes like these have, can get HeliBar Risers or a sweet LSL Handlebar Conversion, around $ 500 bucks. This new Busa is out of my price range but she's got to be a rush to pull the trigger on ! Ludicris Speed :D

handlebar-conversion-kit-hayabusa-abs-hayabusa-abs-z120s08busa-abs.jpg
    davyjones, mike, Richy and 3 others like this.
  3. UFO

UFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can live without almost all the tech on bikes these days. Of course they are useless during the day, and I find them useful when riding at night. I'm certainly not going to knock the new Busa for not having them...but for other reasons.

This is a manufacturer playing catchup and are about 5-10 years behind. The added technology that's been in other bikes/brands for about that long, without challenging themselves to make a statement. That's what the original Busa was about...making a statement. This Busa enters with a shrug and says "Hey guys, can I join the fun." I don't buy the EURO5 excuse for limiting what they could do. I think they chose to play it conservative, for some bizarre reason. I mean, the Busa has almost 400cc on my H2SX and makes almost 20 hp less (189 vs 207 bhp, in stock trim).

Anyway, I owned a first gen Busa. I'm sure this is a nice bike, but I'm pretty disappointed with what Suzuki brought to the table after years of waiting.
    mike, baekdongmul, billyal33 and 3 others like this.
  4. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason seems clear to me, and that reason is that Suzuki's motorcycle R&D department gets a very small budget. In the last ten years I think Suzuki has developed ONE new engine (2017 GSXR1000) and maybe one new frame (GSX-S1000 and its spin-offs).

This new Hayabusa is probably the best they could do utilizing the existing frame and motor. It's about what I expected.
  5. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised there's not an "Is Suzuki going to make it?" thread. Maybe there's not enough people who care.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AZbiker likes this.
  7. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really think they just slapped the old motor in there. Doubt it. The motors in all their modern bikes are BASED on prior designs, but are fully developed modern engines. Anyway - this bike caters to a heritage crowd and even including an IMU s daring.
    FrozenFingers and AZbiker like this.
  8. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to hear from folks who have actually ridden the bike.
  9. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think ZX-14. Except slower
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  10. fecundity

Oddometer:

Any real world comparisons between the new Busa and the now defunct ZX-14?
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Like to see a 2022 B-king that looks like a GSXS 750. :nod
    internalcombust likes this.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    People are already complaining about the weight and price. If Suzuki added active suspension, cornering lights and a new, bigger motor and charged accordingly they’d moan even more.
  13. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I found the price quite disappointing but the pre orders in Canada have already sold out. Probably pretty small numbers though. 9EF4FC42-1907-4262-9DD7-FEF8A5814363.jpeg
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  14. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have to think it. Read the articles. It's the same motor albeit with some revised internals for improved durability and Euro5 compliance.

Have you looked at their lineup? Most of their motors date to 2006 or earlier. The V-Strom and SV motors are little changed since the 1990s. The only truly new motors from Suzuki in the last ten years are the GW250 (2011) and GSXR1000 (2017).

I'm not a Suzuki hater, I've owned a couple over the years and they are one of the most historically significant manufacturers. It just seems like they lost their mojo during the Great Recession and never quite got it back. I think the only reason they haven't completely withdrawn from the US and Canadian markets is because our emissions laws are now less restrictive than Europe so they're able to milk old products for a few more yen.
    Skidmarkart likes this.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you get a free Astars jacket and a bunch of other goodies. Probably worth retail price.
  16. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eh, on the Kawi site you have to look under Ninja to find it, and it's labeled the "Ninja ZX-14R". So, you're not wrong!
  17. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those motors have all been updated, and as a base for the updates, they are some of the best in the industry, and their current motors are some of the best in the industry. The BMW i4 is based on the K5 - which I suppose is some sort of compliment if you like BMWs. I mean what's up with those boxers - it's old already LOL. In the same vein, ducati's watercooled twins can be traced pretty directly back to the twins of the 70s. Iteration and refinement is how the ICE industry works, especially in relatively small industries like the MC business. Suzuki seems to take the rap.

Oh, and they won the motogp title - seems like a lot of people are "ready to race", but 1 is ready to win. Badda bing
    mousitsas, cbreakin, Cactus67 and 2 others like this.
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  19. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice setup.

I've pondered a bar switch, but so far, it's not bothersome enough to do so. I'm sure that day is coming. :lol3

S.C.
  20. fecundity

Oddometer:

Oh hell yes.

6089B1E9-4485-4D0F-AB64-87EF16E5E6D4.jpeg 96ED3C5A-4709-4D50-B3B4-C0120891D164.jpeg
    AZbiker, dtysdalx2 and Jimo368 like this.