2021 new Suzuki Hayabusa Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by david61, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Busa....it needs more than 12.5mm rearward positioning of the bars...let me tell you.

Edit - at least 25mm up and back...
  2. Miklos86

Miklos86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helibars said that they'd have the specific handlebars for the 3rd gen "in the next few weeks" (email of September 7) . That should help this aspect even more. For reference the 2nd gen added the followimg:

1 5/8" (41mm) Taller**

1/2" (12mm) Rearward**

1/2" (12mm) Wider Overall*
  3. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Appearing in a Cameo Role

Oddometer:
    The last of the atoms will have evaporated into the cold dark nothingness of the universe before an insurance company in Canada would produce a video like that.

I see Carole Nash insurance running contests where customers submit pictures of their modified bikes for judging and remember how some people here have to fight to keep coverage on a bike with an aftermarket shock.
  4. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    just throwing out a random thought -- I think this new Hayabusa is a great looking bike. With all the supernakeds out these days the market for something like this is pretty small. I think Suzuki missed the mark by not marketing this as more of a sport-tourer with at least the option of some integrated hard bags and some adjustability built into the clip-ons to give a little more relaxed riding position.
    Gone Troppo and hypersports like this.
  5. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes it more comfortable?
  6. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    No it won't - the long and low Busa will be putting the power down while the Duke is trying to flip - so either the rider or the electronics will have to nanny the throttle while the Busa walks away.

(edit) I don't deny for a minute that the KTM will feel faster because it will be much more dramatic - but it won't be going faster.
  7. Miklos86

Miklos86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bars are closer and higher. The Bennetts review says its a noticeable difference to the previous gen.
  8. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So polished, what an amazing bike. Suzuki did a great job imo. The hypernaked segment is probably the hottest thing going right now aside from the ADV's. Everybody getting in on the action even if some of them aren't quite as powerful as others.

This segment though, would be cool if the other manufacturers got in on it, not just Kawasaki who just pulled theirs from production. But I get it, not where the sales are. So for that kudos to Suzuki for putting the effort into this 3rd gen.
    Miklos86 likes this.
  9. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    Ah I see, my comfort complaint with the Busa as I aged was the knee angle. Having quite a long body I found the arm position comfy - actually the easiest bike I've ever ridden to get my knee down on because I can hang off without tying my arms in knots.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You do understand that the Super Duke R from 2014 to current and a Busa have the same wheelbase @58.3" right? Like almost exactly the same wheelbase. Now I don't have any experience with the Gen2 Busas, but I do seem to recall that the 1st gens could be a REAL handfull into 4th gear if you were hamfisting the throttle, up to and including me lighting the rear tire with the front wheel four feet in the air, in forth at about 65mph...that was a "what the hell do I do about this" moment.

https://indianautosblog.com/2021-suzuki-hayabusa-vs-old-moded-drag-race-p323439

So going by that yeah the Busa is a bit faster in a quarter. I have personally run a 10.29 @ 137mph on a stock 2014 Super Duke....and that was launching it in 2nd gear with the traction and wheelie control on because I didn't have the balls to kill them on a bike that I had for less than 6 weeks at the time (in 2014)....so my 60' was frankly crap.....was it worth 2 tenths crap, I dunno, unlikely. By the way the 2021 Super Dukes are almost 20 rwhp up on my first gen stock, so figure right around 165-170 rear wheel, I haven't found anything in the press but Busa specific forums are putting up right around 180 rwhp and a little more torque (like 102 vs 94).
  11. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    They may have similar wheel-lengths but the Duke motor puts the weight higher and further back. a "real handful into 4th"? On my Gen 1 I could easily get full throttle from 1st onwards - spinning the rear to get me off the line as the clutch is very grabby due to the "ramp up hub" (back torque limiter - pah!) even with a dry stage 1 laughing gas kit (240bhp at the back wheel) I could still pin the throttle in 2nd onwards as long as I was ready leaning on the tank with my chest - admittedly I was running longer gearing than stock as I used to do flying mile event.

Your quarter is almost identical to my time on my Gen 1 with less power than a current Duke (mine tested at 155bhp at the rear wheel stock) but I'm 260lbs in full leathers and mine was suffering from cutting out of full throttle (an issue related to 99 fuel pump which I later fixed) but I only ever ran it stock once when it was a couple of weeks old. There were skilled/lighter riders getting in the high 9s - as Ricky Gadston (spelling?) did on the stock ZX12. I have ridden a 2017 Super Duke - with the nannying turned off I found it almost impossible to keep the front wheel anywhere near the tarmac launching it hard. I have absolutely no doubt I'd run a quicker 1/4 on my stock Gen 1. So 0-100 mph I give to the Busa, 100-150mph I think the Duke is quicker (more power, less weight) but then aerodynamics take over and it swings the other way again. All my experience of things of course - others may have different experiences.
  12. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a first gen Hayabusa, and a 17 1290SDGT...
    Although they have about the same HP....they do feel very different. And I do understand how one can FEEL faster, yet not be faster.
    I am looking forward to seeing how a bone stock 3rd gen can put the power down when the computer is unlocked and maximized....PP1350-4 class...will it put out more than a unlocked RSV4 1100...?

I will be using the top end...ECTA/SCTA/AMA-BMST
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Point of order that 2014 Duke made 149hp@92ft/lbs stock.

And a Super Duke isn't going to touch a Busa over 100mph. It's a naked. Not a full faired hyperport with its shape determined in a wind tunnel.

:edit

I ran a 9.81 on 2002 GSXR 1000 that was stretched and shackled but otherwise only had a slip on.

That bike likely only had 145hp or so rear wheel.

Never seen Gadston run anything with a stock wheelbase so I am unsure I would use that as a goal.
  14. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I love the fat ugly beast and would buy one in a heartbeat if I had $18k and bigger balls.