2021 NorCal Himalayan Rally - Nevada City, CA - July 8-11

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by KennyBooBear, Feb 23, 2021.

1. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2021 NorCal Himalayan Rally

After a wild and at times underwhelming 2020, we could all use something to look forward to in 2021! I’m proud to announce the NorCal Himalayan Rally being held just outside of historical Nevada City, CA on July 8-11. This event will be catered specifically to Royal Enfield Himalayan riders wanting to spend a long weekend improving their riding skills in some of the best scenery Northern California has to offer.

Where are we going?

We’ll spend 2 days riding 350+ miles of old mining roads through the best parts that Nevada, Sierra, and Placer county have to offer. Attendance will be limited to 15 riders who will find themselves camping on the shores of Scott’s Flat Lake at just a touch below 4,000ft. Dinner will be included the night of the 9th and 10th as my wife and I will do our best to serve up a delicious variety of foods to keep your energy levels piqued.

Attendees should expect to arrive on Thursday the 8th with a skills session planned for the afternoon to help those interested in improving and learning some handy off-road skills and techniques.

Early Friday morning we’ll hit the trail for a full day of riding. We’ll stop for a lunch-time bite in one of the many mountain mining villages nestled in the Sierra while we spend the day exploring the various hidden gems the road less traveled has to offer. Upon our return to camp, we’ll wind down with dinner and a gathering around the fire to share the day’s stories.

Saturday will see us heading South, deeper into Placer County as we edge nearer to Lake Tahoe, the Rubicon Trail and much more.

On Sunday for those interested, we’ll start the day early riding into Grass Valley for a hearty breakfast before heading back to pack up.

Admission: Admission cost for this event will be $125. An additional $50 will apply to those wishing to bring along a +1. The additional fee covers their T-Shirt and meals. If the +1 wishes to opt out of a T-Shirt and provided meals then they’re welcome to attend along with at no additional cost.

What is included?

Included with each admission will be a T-Shirt, decal, single raffle ticket, your camping reservations for the nights of the 8th, 9th and 10th at Scott’s Flat Campground and two dinners. There's a few other perks and things planned for the event as well that will make the event all the more memorable - more details will come as they're currently in the works.

Will there be vegetarian food options?

When you RSVP, please include any dietary restrictions you may have so that we can account for this with your meal!

Can my +1 ride in this event for just the extra $50 fee?

Yes and no. The extra 50 covers the cost of the meals and T-Shirt but not the camping or extra tie-ins such as a raffle ticket etc. If your +1 is sharing a camping accommodation with you then they can ride so long as they're on a Himalayan. If they'll be sleeping in a different tent (in the event your +1 is a friend or family member) then the full $125 will apply. As a result though, they'll also get a raffle ticket and be included in any of the additional little surprises we're working hard on getting situated for the event!

Payment: Payment can be made via. VenMo @KennyBooBear - VenMo ID is case sensitive. For other payment methods (Money Order etc.), please reach out to me directly by email or through Facebook. Please include T-Shirt sizes for you and if applicable, your +1.

Refunds: Full refunds will be honored up until 4 weeks in advance of the event or until shirts are ordered (contingent on supply this could be as late as 2 weeks in advance of the event.) In the event of a COVID related event cancellation, those that RSVP will be offered a full refund or a full credit toward the rescheduling of the event at a later date (possibly later in 2021 or worst case scenario in the Spring/Early Summer of 2022.) Current outlook from the campground is good however, so this seems like an unlikely scenario, but as we've learned through the last year - anything is possible.

Location: Scott's Flat Campground is located at 23333 Scotts Flat Rd. Nevada City, CA 95959.
    Feel free to check it out on Google Maps located here!

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2771112,-120.9375121,17z

Additional Questions?

Please post below, message me (Ken Morse) through Facebook or contact me directly by email at kenrmorse@gmail.com with “NorCal Himalayan Rally” in the subject line with any additional questions or to inquire about payment and RSVP alternatives! We'll look forward to seeing you this Summer!

Emergency Contact: (408)707-7374

Confirmed Attendees:
    1. Brad Brazeau - T-Shirt: Large
    2. Martin Esparza - T-Shirt: Medium
    3. Greg Watson - T-Shirt: Large
    4. MJ Stewart - T-Shirt: Medium
    5. Tess Stewart - T-Shirt: Small
    6. Rob Incollingo - T-Shirt: Large
    7. Raymond Pallett - T-Shirt: XL
    8. Bobby Gates - T-Shirt: XL
    9. John Arnold - T-Shirt: L - +1 T-Shirt: Men's S or Women's M
    10. Steve - T-Shirt: L - +1 T-Shirt: Women's M
    11. Carl M - T-Shirt: M or S

Finally, here's a few images of the areas we'll be riding over the course of the weekend!

DSC_0884.jpg

IMG_20190810_124217.jpg

IMG_20190922_165157.jpg

IMG_20190922_165617.jpg

Cheers.
    dtysdalx2, EMFL, Bigger Al and 3 others like this.
  2. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Been scouting locations the past few weeks. With each passing day I'm getting more and more excited to be hosting this.

IMG_20210220_115952.jpg

IMG_20210220_141236.jpg
    IMG_20210220_143330.jpg

DSC_0914.jpg

DSC_0928.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

Snow levels are still keeping me below 5,000ft but soon enough I'll be able to scout out the stuff that puts my jaw on the floor every time I see it!
    dtysdalx2, EMFL and Bigger Al like this.
  3. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    Well, I do have a Himalayan! Unfortunately a trip to California would be a tall order this year. Please post lots of pics, would love to attend in the future.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  4. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    That's what trailers are for. :D

Jokes aside - there's definitely gonna be a next year so if we don't see you this go around, I'll look forward to having you next!
    FEG32 likes this.
  5. lakewoodhiker

lakewoodhiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool...I may consider this.... but it would also be almost 800 miles from Flagstaff. I'll at least pencil it in for now as I would love to go riding with some other Himalayan owners out there.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  6. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    If you've got a tow rig, we'll find parking for it and your trailer - so worry not about that. So far we have at least one attendee trailering/putting the bike in a truck bed to come out for it so you won't be alone in that.

If you do make it out, we'll look forward to riding with you.

:beer
  7. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    If you end up needing trailer space, we have room. We are 7 miles from Scott's.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  8. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    You're too kind! We'll definitely reach out as the date gets closer. The powers that be over at Scott's Flat Campground indicated they have an area they could leave set aside for us, but who knows how that'll actually materialize come July.
  9. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any chance you're going to scout some of the routes now that the snow is melting off? I don't have a Himalayan, but would love to ride your route!
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  10. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    I do nearly every weekend actually to check trail conditions etc.

Shoot me a PM - I'd be happy to have you along for the ride. I usually roll from my house here in Colfax.
    picknpluck likes this.
  11. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next couple of weekends are tied up...but I'll reach out soon!
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  12. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Spent the weekend doing more scouting of the various areas. July is on it's way like a freight train!

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0213(2).jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

I also got T-Shirts ordered today - so here's something else to look forward to!

Tee-Front.png

Tee-Back.png

See y'all in July!
    catfish and EMFL like this.
  13. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    Ken--If you like, I could hit up my contacts at the John Woolman School on Jones Bar Road. There are little A-frame cabins there, and after the fire last year, they're eager to recoup some revenue. Also, about a half mile of pavement from a very fun dirt descent to an awesome Yuba swimming hole. They'd have space for parking trailers as well. Looking forward to some Himalayan Hijinx. Just out of curiosity, what are those gnarly knobbies on your Himma? Mine is still wearing it's CEAT OEM tires, but that is going to have to change....
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  14. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Carl, that'd be awesome! I'll reply to your email regarding the Jones Woolman School.

The tires I'm running at a Dunlop D606F 90/90r21 in the front and a Tusk DSport 130/90r17 in the rear.

I tried the DSport in the front and didn't like it as much as but now that my Dunlop is about bald, I'm gonna give the DSport another try in the front. I'm willing to admit some of my displeasure with it the first time around may have been due to my not watching pressure like a hawk :doh
  15. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    Would you recommend a tire that aggressive for the Norcal Himalayan Rally?
  16. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Oh no, not at all. It could ask be safely run on the stock tires. If you like the grip though, knobbies definitely have their advantages!
  17. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    Rally Goers:
    I ordered a Powerage muffler from India, which will ship next week. They had to buy a minimum of two, and wondered if I knew anyone who wanted one. They are $199, stainless steel, look like stock, but lighter and shorter (to clear panniers), and have a removable "dB killer." Reviewed thoroughly here: No meaningful performance gains. The $199 is a pretty good deal--they cost more on Ebay, so if you want one, let me know and I'll have them put it in the box with mine, and bring it to the Rally!
  18. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    The dates are coming up. Anything we need to know? Developments? My T-shirt, is definitely a Medium, if not a Small, by the way. Not a bit worry. I did put a bit more aggressive rubber on--TKC80 front, and a Mitas E-07 rear. Carl Magruder.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  19. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Carl!

I'm typing up a doc/data sheet this evening with all the little details and will be posting it tonight. As it stands we have 11 attendees (though 1 may not be able to make it unfortunately) and a few +1s.

4 more days before the party starts!
    svo_jon likes this.
  20. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    103 degrees in the shade this weekend, I hear. Of course, I took parts of the CABDR up to Sacramento on the 4th of July, so 103 will be comparatively cool.... My Himma thermometer read 48C at one point, and the dial thermometer on the handlebar 115F!
    EMFL and KennyBooBear like this.