2021 NorCal Himalayan Rally - Nevada City, CA - July 8-11

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by KennyBooBear, Feb 23, 2021.

1. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha hopefully it'll be a bit overrated as it usually is. Luckily we'll largely be at altitude so I don't anticipate too much heatstroke!
  2. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    2021 NorCal Himalayan Rally - Last Minute Updates

First off – thanks for participating in the first of hopefully many Himalayan Rallies here in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains.

The dates are upon us and as such, I’d like to publish a little doc to hopefully help answer any questions you may have for the coming weekend of riding. We’re expecting warmer temperatures throughout the weekend approaching triple digits in the lower altitudes. Arguably the most important thing this weekend will be hydration. At camp I’ll be providing bottled water and Gatorade/Powerade.

I would greatly suggest some form of water/hydration system on your bike/person so that you can stay hydrated throughout the weekend. It would also be wise to wear gear that is ventilated – Summer mesh is ideal.

At times we’ll be approaching altitudes at or above 8000ft though most of the riding will happen between 4500 and 6000ft.

Camping reservations begin on Thursday the 8th. I will personally be setting up around Noon-1PM at Scott’s Flat Campground. I’ve attached a campground map with some (very crudely) arrows I’ve drawn in – indicating where to go. If you have a truck/trailer you’re bringing your bike in on, there is ample parking along the main stretch in front of the General Store. When you arrive, indicate you’re here for the Himalayan or Motorcycle Rally and you should be able to enter freely.

Once at Group Sites 1-3, places to put your tent or small pull behind camper will be on a first come/first serve basis. There should be plenty of room for all but keep in mind that there are no special hook-ups here given that the plan is for all to tent camp.

I’ll have everyone’s T-Shirts handy upon arrival and should have a few extras for those interested in buying an extra or a shirt for their +1. Additional shirts will be $25

At Scott’s Flat Campground, you’ll want to enter at gate 2. To navigate there simply, I’ve dropped a pin here on Google Maps. This should get you to where the paper camp map begins.

https://goo.gl/maps/mexkjk5aVB7TZ9h98

Originally, I had planned to cook alongside my wife Friday and Saturday night. Unfortunately, due to some constraints we will be unable to do this. INSTEAD I will simply be treating the group to dinner at a couple of local restaurants both on Frida and Saturday after our respective ride(s). This is probably for the best as I’m not a Michelin Star rated chef.

As we are in a drought of historical levels – there will be no “bon-fire” at camp. However, I have a gas firepit at home that I’ll be disassembling and reassembling at camp. It isn’t perfect, but it should provide a nice centerpiece for everyone to sit around in the evenings!

For any additional questions/comments etc. please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at (408)707-7374

FINAL_wo_yurt_SFL-Gate-2-Campround-Map-1080x1398.jpg
    SacRockit likes this.
  3. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
  4. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    Hey, Ken. I had a thought that if folks are up for a reunion, we could crash the Range of Light Gypsy Tour done by BMW NorCal Club. https://bmwnorcal.wildapricot.org/event-4336452 They welcome all makes, and it is a riding rally, with some off road ("GS") route options, dinner catered on Sat and Sun, prizes, good times. Do you have contacts for everyone?