2021 Swinging Bridges (MO)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by doniton2, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri I'm fast but I ain't no BigDog!!!

Oddometer:
    Like everyone is saying....if it's dry a 4 of 10 on difficulty. If it rains a lot, it's still a 4, but you can die in about 5-10 places. The ride isn't really any harder when it's wet, but you will need to make some adult decisions as you are stopped looking at the high water crossings. I'll be honest- I've made the the wrong decision a few times and was very fortunate to make it. I started turning around and taking alternate routes to avoid the high water currents. It's still an adventure, just safer.

Here is BigDog's 2019 SBR video that shows wet conditions that could be expected with some rain.
    Lots of puddles and no dust.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but feel obligated to mention this story. If you don't like it, I understand and the internet is big so please just move along, but...

At the 10 minute mark he's talking about 2017 and the stupidest thing I've ever seen done- Listen to what he says. I know because I was with him in the video and was part of that stupidest thing- we underestimated the current and decided to push through and the water could have killed us. I couldn't find that video and maybe he'll post it up, but it was so scary that he edited that part out for fear his wife would see it. I still don't like to watch it even today. It was really, really bad. Can you imagine watching a buddy getting swept under with riding gear full of water? We tried joke about it on the other side, but if you bring it up -to this day- he and I will both tell you how stupid it was- Listen to his voice when he talks about it. I've been in the Middle East five years, been shot at, blown up and stacked dead guys in the back of trucks like firewood- This bothers me more to this day because it was so avoidable. Be a better riding partner than me and tell your buddy to turn around.

The lesson we learned was- it doesn't matter how many people already went across. The current in front of you is the current you need to judge. And--- when the water flows through your spokes and under your engine there is no problem. When the water is just a couple inches higher, it hits and pushes against your disk brakes, hubs, engine, swing arm and panniers....this couple inches almost pushed us over the edge and trying to throttle through made it worse. The only way we survived, literally was because we stoped and barely inched our way out of the current. Never again.

That's probably enough of a Public Service Announcement...Lots of fun, but just be careful.
    Dan251, JonnyH913 and GotFog like this.
  2. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW Scott.. ive never seen you so SERIOUS, THX for the PSA.. ill try to remember
    Scott in Missouri likes this.
  3. g steezy

g steezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hit that same spot in 2019 at the 6:30 minute mark in my video, it was DEEP!

What’s crazy is the next year there’s barely any water over the road seen in the very beginning on my video for 2020. It’s crazy how conditions can change from year to year.
    Dan251 likes this.
  4. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the 2019 ride on my 1200GS and it wasn't difficult at all except for one short section of heavily rutted 2-track that is easy to dodge if you want. If you are comfortable on gravel you should be fine and there are usually plenty of other riders around if you need help.

The challenge was the plentiful water crossings. They varied from "splashy fun" to "holy crap I'm turning around". It all depends on the rain leading up to the ride.
  5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Let's spice this up a bit. Give the FNG's something to worry about.

"
    CamelBill, 314ADV, Earlwho and 6 others like this.
  6. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
  7. JonnyH913

JonnyH913 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a little weekend jaunt in the Jeep and hit bits and pieces of this route. First weekend camping for 21 in the books!
    Count me in for May, I'll be there with bells on
  8. Earlwho

Earlwho n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in, and bringing two with me.
    JonnyH913 likes this.
  9. SloppyJowe

SloppyJowe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'm in. Don't think I'll be bringing anyone.
    snorkie likes this.
  10. The Rolling Stone

The Rolling Stone n00b

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I'm in.
    JonnyH913 likes this.
  11. doniton2

doniton2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got everybody updated. Let me know if I missed anyone. Looks like we are going to have a good turnout. Only 2.5 weeks away I can’t wait.
  12. doniton2

Oddometer:
    Just got the sticker proof. D8EB5B2D-A315-44BA-BA65-28B57C257AFA.jpeg
  13. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI....Guys with a 100 miles range..NO Gas... in Brumley.... closest will be 4.5 miles South on 42....hope this helps
    314ADV and doniton2 like this.
  14. jebrown6261

jebrown6261 n00b

Oddometer:
    I planning on attending. I live about 25 mins east of St. Clair.
  15. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the church lunch on Sunday is still planned?
  16. The Tallguy

The Tallguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    solo650 and doniton2 like this.
  17. DrumrPete

DrumrPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am new to this forum and this ride group via my new friend Andy. I have a number of snags to work thru, but am working on making my first ever ADV ride with you this year. Will be motel-ing it, not camping, and am not going to have some of the necessary emergency adventure tools. Pretty much just me, the Africa Twin, and hopefully, new tires. -P
  18. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to check the route, but that doesn’t sound like the church I went to on a prior ride.
  19. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. doniton2

Oddometer:
    They are serving from 11-3 but it is carry out only. We’ll have to sit under a tree and eat
    solo650 likes this.