2021 Trans Georgia Rally

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Jul 12, 2021.

1. mzappone

mzappone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, I am 100% towing my bike up from Lakewood Ranch. I have a U-Haul trailer reserved which will 2 bikes. I am looking at a used Kendon that will hold a total of 3 bikes, if I grab it will have room. I have not heard back rom MrStormy. To recap: if he is not going I have one spot and if I grab the Kendon will either have 1 or 2 spots.
  2. mrstormy

mrstormy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike, I pinged you in PM. I can't commit today but should by Monday. With that said, if you've got commitment from another, don't let me hold a spot due to time running out to plan. If we had riding history together, I would ask you to hold for a few days but we are new acquaintances so wouldn't be fair.
  3. mzappone

mzappone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know there area but in research there seems to be few hotel options, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hampton or Marriott... off Chaffee Rd S & Crystal Springs Road.
  4. mzappone

mzappone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, Mrstormy replied cant commit until next week. From your profile looks like you are on the other side of the state. To confirm I am leaving from the Sarasota, Bradenton Area.
  5. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, bring it on.
  6. UncleFappy

UncleFappy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mzappone just an FYI, another member here whom I ride with has a three rail bike trailer for sale on the Fla Flea Market sub. He's @KirkN
  7. mzappone

mzappone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks looks like it’s sold. I have been looking at the Kendon’s, stand up storage is a key for me. HOA where I live so garage space is at a premium.
    UncleFappy likes this.
  8. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, sorry ‘bout that. It sold a few days ago. But it wasn’t a fold-up kind either.
  9. Paul-615

Paul-615 n00b

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I now have a thurs and fri conflict. We will aim for the nov ride instead.
  10. BadCaptain

BadCaptain Bad decisions make good stories

Oddometer:
    Campsite reservations out and back available for the trip if anyone is in need before we give 'em back the Ga parks system?
    PM me as both my usual riding bud and I both now have unavoidable conflicts.
  11. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    Stickers are in

20211006_120642.jpg
  12. Klr-ookie

Klr-ookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, how do I get some?
  13. ADVNeophyte

ADVNeophyte How do you do this?

Oddometer:
    Ride across Georgia and back, silly.
  14. Klr-ookie

Klr-ookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha.. okey dokie
  15. cgollmd

cgollmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In
    beefcake morris and mr_guns like this.
  16. mzappone

mzappone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one open trailer spot. Leaving from Sarasota Wednesday wants to jump on
  17. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    Now to get ready for your Big Adventure Coming up

This year is the 10 year anniversary of the great "Expedition" :evil

Expedition to Discover the Route North thru Georgia | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

This was the intro I gave on that thread....

GEORGIA, since some may not be familiar with this State that borders five other States it is big and old. It has an interesting beginning especially in the territory we were going to travel through. The Spanish had set up Forts along the coast in the 1500-1600's but not much inland had taken place. The French had some infestations of Catholics (this will become clear shortly), but for the most part it was uninhabited. Then in the early 1700's the British ruled the Colonies and General Ogelthorpe had a grand idea. The Debtors prisons in England where filling up with folks and there was no end in sight. If a man had no job, he quickly fell into debt, was put into prison and with no potential for income, would never get out. Under the Authority of the Trustee of Georgia, the old General came up with a win-win. He would send these people from prison to Georgia to start new towns and become productive people again. He convinced the King to send these folks to Georgia, give each one 50 acres and enough supplies to make it through one years planting. This accomplished several objectives. Emptied the never ending life in prison. Set up (sweat shops) in another country. Actually the thought is the produce could be used back in England to help pay and justify this endeavor. And the best thing was, these British Protestants could colonize and keep the French Catholics from getting the upper hand in the new country. And so Georgia was born.....

So to continue our learning of this new mystery land we are going to venture through we are creating 4 photo stops along the way. Our route passes by 4 historical places and people. Each group is tasked with taking a group photo and posting up the picture here to recognize each groups ability to accomplish simple tasks.:freaky

1st Location

Blind Willy McTell's grave site is along the route - take picture 1

McTell was born blind in one eye and lost his remaining vision by late childhood. He attended schools for the blind in Georgia, New York and Michigan and showed proficiency in music from an early age, first playing the harmonica and accordion, learning to read and write music in Braille, and turning to the six-string guitar in his early teens. His family background was rich in music; both of his parents and an uncle played the guitar. He was related to the bluesman and gospel pioneer Thomas Dorsey.

[​IMG]

Willy McTell was the person who brought to life the blues music movement. So much so that Bob Dylan wrote a song.

Blind Willie McTell" is a song written and performed by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan. Named for the blues singer of the same name, the song was recorded in the spring of 1983, during the sessions for Dylan's album Infidels; however, it was ultimately left off the album and did not receive an official release until 1991, when it appeared on The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3

There is now a festival in Georgia

[​IMG]

2nd Location

Rock House, built 1785, is the oldest stone residence in Georgia.

[​IMG]

Thomas Ansley (1737-1809) was born in New Jersey, and later migrated to the Quaker Community of Wrightsboro. The Rock House and a cemetery down the road are all that remain of this Quaker Settlement.

Ansley received land grants of 2,400 acres after the Revolutionary War, and set about building Rock House in 1785. The fieldstone walls are 2 feet thick!

3rd Location

Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expedition grew up in this house in Georgia

[​IMG]

Take group picture of this marker on Goose Pond road

[​IMG]

At age 5 yrs, Meriwether Lewis's father was killed in a Winter river crossing on horseback. His father, a military soldier at the time, fell from his horse into icy waters and died from pneumonia a few days later. Only six months later, Lewis's mother remarried a second cousin, John Marks, a wealthy plantation owner from Georgia. At age five, Lewis and his mother traveled by horse and wagon from Ivy, Virginia to Goose Pond, Georgia to resettle to a very remote plantation south of today's Elberton, Georgia (40 miles east of the University of Georgia).

For more on the Lewis and Clark expedition search here ADV for inmate Lewis and Clark. he follows their entire trip by motorcycle documenting each stop they made. For those that had done the MABDR and the Idaho BDR your are constantly running across them.

4th Location

Callaway Plantation

Callaway Plantation, a historic restoration project, offers a glimpse into the by-gone era of the agricultural South when working plantations speckled the land.

Callaway Plantation humbly began with a log cabin in 1785 built by Job Callaway and grew to a 3,000-acre working plantation complete with a brick mansion by the 1860's. The property has been passed down through the Callaway Family since its inception and in the 1980's was given as a gift by the Callaway Family to the City of Washington.

[​IMG]

The Brick House - This brick Greek Revival style mansion was built with Georgia red clay. Parker Callaway started the building process and Aristides Callaway completed it in 1869. The Callaway family lived in the Brick House between 1869-1910. The house has never been modernized so it contains no indoor plumbing or electricity and it is decorated to reflect the grandeur of time period when the plantation thrived. Many antiques within the brick house are original to the house.

So now you have your mission- if any member of your team is caught or killed we will disavow any knowledge of this task.

:photog
  18. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rich, some good research there, was hoping it would add some historical context to the ride.

If anyone wants to delve into the Lewis and Clark expedition from a more hands on perspective inmate @LewisNClark has written books and ridden their route several times on Adv bikes, he’s a noted authority on the subject and has a multi page thread here on Advrider.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/lewis-and-clark-trail-8-yrs-of-it.1048482/
    MaddMatt likes this.
  19. don2

don2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Don2
  20. bradluke0

bradluke0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Due to conflicts, I am out of this ride. However, me and Mike are going to Suches on Oct 20th for a few days of putzing around. Anybody have any routes or guidance on where to go for some offroad stuff? He will be on his 500xcw and I will either be on my 690r or my 350xcw. I already tried to pick Rich and Nick's brains but sadly they have already been picked over.