2021 WSBK No-Spoiler Catch All Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Madscientist likes this.
  2. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe Redding can do something on the BMW. I can only hope Ducati can replace him with someone else that can run at the front.
  3. kenlake

kenlake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kinda mind-boggling.....Ducati resigns Bautista after he absolutely folded like a cheap suit in '19?

And I don't think Redding is gonna do any better on that BMW than VDM did/is doing.
    Scoozi and Don03st like this.
  4. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    stk0308 likes this.
  5. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. Unfortunately it's all about the $$$$$
  6. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Nothing official on Bautista yet. Remember Bautista left Ducati because they won't pay a big salary. Paulo Ciabatti said no one in WSBK is going to match what Rea is getting at Kawasaki and they let Davies go because of his salary. I've got to think BMW is writing some decent checks to have tempted van der Mark away from a Yamaha that he was winning races on. Maybe Redding is getting a nice payday from BMW. There's obviously no route back to MotoGP through Ducati with all the talent they already have in the premier class.
    wmfleet2 and Stomp347 like this.
  7. kenlake

kenlake Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was me, I'd offer Petrucci a seat before Bautista. But it ain't up to me :D
    UngaWunga and Bigger Al like this.
  8. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This blowhard doesn't know what he's talking about. :D

Press day at Navarra. Bautista said he has offers on the table from other manufacturers but nothing is official yet. Then he gave the ole "We have made some steps forward and I'm focused on whats in front of me," line that is usually the official pre-exit statement for riders moving between teams. Hospitality truck menu is changing back to pasta.
    Scoozi, kenlake and Stomp347 like this.
  9. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Passing on some gossip/info from James Toseland who is commentating on Eurosport ATM. Apparently BMW is paying van der Mark three times what he was getting at Yamaha, the idea was to get a fast rider who win races while Sykes helps with the development. As VDM isn't winning races (in fact his results haven't been any better than Sykes) they've signed Redding to do the job, it remains to be seen if he'll do any better.

Regarding Bautista on Ducati, it was pointed out that the V4 has had it's revs reduced from when he last rode it, so he wouldn't be clearing off on the straights like he did last time. I'm still wondering who will be on the Honda's next year...
  10. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Steve English said during FP2 (or was it FP3?) that Bautista is the highest paid rider in the paddock. Thats probably highest retainer excluding bonuses.

The Ducati was hit with a rev reduction while Bautista was riding it the first time. It still has a few thousand more revs than the I-4s and judging by the racing we've seen , is not hurting for top speed. I doubt the rev limits are as big an issue as how much development Ducati has put in the V4R in the last two years vs. what the Japanese brands have done. Its been reported that Redding was unhappy with Ducati's limited development schedule for WSBK. In other words, its more likely the Panigale V4R that Bautista would race is 2022 is far too similar to what he rode in 2019.

Edit: I said several thousand rpm difference on the rev limits and that is wrong. Its 1100 to 1500 at most.
    Scoozi and Cantab like this.
  11. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Listening to one of my WorldSBK/MotoGp podcasts they discussed Honda's problem in both series; that is only one person can ride any of their race bikes with any success. That would be Marquez. It sounds like Bautista wants to leave Honda for ANY other team just to get off that bike. The lack of success they see in WorldSBK tickles me pink...but what is going on there? Is this why they won't race in Moto America?
  12. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Different series have different rules, WSB and Moto America have similar rules and are much more 'anything goes' while BSB and Australian Superbike are more restricted. Ironically Honda are competitive in the latter two but despite all their spending aren't there yet in WSB, the same also applies to BMW.
  13. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So true. And in Superstock the Honda and BMW are the bikes to beat. ( The OZ series is closer to SStock spec than SBK, although our electronic package is considerably more open than BSB.)
  14. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice dice up in the super pole race today for a change!
  15. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gerloff getting taken out was a interesting turn of events. I was thinking " on no he did it again", but alas, not his fault.
  16. Prospected

Prospected Mountains' Rossi

Oddometer:
    There's no true factory in the US anymore because the series is weak. Not even Yam gives significant factory support with Stanboli being responsible for their success. Zuk pulled out several years ago with Yosh as well. America is not a breeding ground for GP jockeys so they stay with the Euro & Asia cups in hopes for the next MM.
  17. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Caught up on Navarro today, this championship is going nicely!
    Bigger Al and Don03st like this.
  18. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Don03st likes this.
  19. RiderGary

RiderGary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    He spent the first half of that season in "untouchable" mode, then spent the second half trying to figure out why he couldn't stay on the bike.
    RiderGary, Don03st and stk0308 like this.