2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    local dealer said they should be arriving to the floor within the next 3-6 weeks
  2. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    Sounds like me talking about my 2019 which is not at all dynamically "sharp" motorcycle. I was hoping the updated platform would solve some of the "ho-humness"
  3. STBNE

STBNE Southern Comfort

Oddometer:
    I actually believe that the Kawasaki Versys LT models are better looking and better integrated,and no stupid gauges...Its less edgy than the Tracer IMO...
    Motonirvana and olie like this.
  4. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I like my Versys LT dash, strait and to the point with just relevant information. I added a USB/Voltmeter and Temp gauge in the hole punch outs. I’ve looked at this FZ09/Tracer 900/9GT over the years (I owned a Tiger 1050 in the past) and while tempted I keep wondering if it handles as well as the Versys. I know the power is there but I’d rather have the handling as I can’t realistically use the power most of the time. I also really like the 5.5 gal tank on the versys with 87 octane and 52mpg average. Huge range on the bike.

I’m looking at this new one wondering about it but I’m going to wait and see. The motorcycle market is also stupid right now with stock wiped out and dealers overpricing everything, I’ll wait a few years for all that to calm down before I would actually buy. The Versys works well as is. The 650 isn’t as fun as a triple but it’s probably the best handling bike I’ve owned on a twisty road. Better than the Tiger.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  5. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I test rode a GT today. Coming from a Duke 790 the bike felt great. Brakes about the same as mine, suspension better but not as wow as I expected. Handling was sure footed and easy to point the front wheel where I wanted with lots of feel. I know the Duke is better but not night and day, handling is extremely good.

Engine note sounds awesome and the quick shifter is in a different league to mine.

Engine felt lovely and loads of torque. Riding position was great and at 6ft the lower seat height worked for me. Clutch was light and easy to use.

Cruise control, drive modes all easy to use. Passing light a bit more difficult as it's in a different place. Handguards really effective.

Downsides. Sidestand was a pain and I am not used to it, but its a gripe.

Bigger issue is the buffeting with the screen at the highest position. There was also some knocking but I am not sure if that was the screen holder 'bouncing'.

Fuel economy soso about 50 mpg - uk
    GeoAggie, CRFan1, twinrider and 5 others like this.
  6. demuire

demuire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the OEM engine guards for the new Tracer?

https://shop.yamaha-motor.com.au/accessories/road/road/sport-touring/tracer-9-gt/b5u-f43b0-00

As far as I can guess it looks like it goes downwards to protect the engine rather than up towards the fuel tank (the bash plate bolts onto this). If so, would this provide much protection for the actual bike (fairing, tank, etc) in a tip over? Am considering this vs frame sliders (like Oggy Knobs)

Am not planning on doing any "proper" off road riding, at most gravel fire roads. 99% on road riding.
  7. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    That’s all good to read except the fuel economy. I figured the mpg was going to be in the ballpark of the Tiger 1050 given the power on the Tracer 9GT. 50 uk is about 41mpg US. Given I don’t run my bikes to empty and leave at least .5 gallons in there to not kill the fuel pump, it’s about 180-ish miles real world to fillup. Same as the Tiger 1050. On a good day it would go 200 when riding it gently (owned one). Sounds petty but that’s probably the only thing keeping me from getting one of these and ditching the Versys. It gets 250ish miles to a tank with .5 in reserve. 70 miles is a big difference and a lot more filling up on long trips, more range anxiety. (I lived in Utah for a few years and sold the Tiger for a Stelvio because of the range to go places between fuel stops off the beaten path).

I just wish Yamaha would throw a 5.5-6 gallon tank on this thing. I know that doesn’t effect most rider’s in areas with plenty of fuel stops or just going out on the weekends etc.
    hellsbuddha and Chillis like this.
  8. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the newest MCN review has the range estimated at about 220 miles between fill ups based on their real world mpgs.
  9. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    but is that to bone dry? I can see that being true as it would be about 44mpg which seems right. But who does that. Real world you have to fill before your out and leaving a bit in there for fuel pump cooling. My Tiger 1050 would real world run dry at about 217 miles but I was always filling it at about 180-190.

Versys would go about 286 miles to dry with how I ride it. 319 on my high end mpg days. But I always fill it about 220-250.

if it’s getting 48mpg average riding mixed fast cruising and getting that on 4.5 gallons I’ll buy one.
  10. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one on order, sold the KTM SAS just over 2 years ago so needed something a bit smaller with losing NCD. Should be here this month in Icon Blue. I must admit the Tech Camo looked nicer in real life then on screen. Never really used the 160 bhp of the KTM and found it scary even at times so at 66yrs I think I need something less balls out now. Will let people know how it goes.
  11. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    It’s tough to use 160 horsepower realistically on the street. Maybe passing 5 cars uphill. Or at 12000 feet passing. And it comes with bigger more expensive chains and using more tires. Honestly I think this Tracer is spot on for power but I’m content at about 90-100hp on a bike of it’s weight. The Versys 650 is adequate but I could fully use a bit more, it’s fun to wring it’s neck and use the full engine though. I couldn’t really fully use the Tiger 1050. So something between the V650 and that bike would be just right. I think the Tracer GT hits the same mark hp wise with less torque than the Tiger, maybe slightly less HP. I had a race tune and replaced exhaust/air intake so it was making similar to Sprint GT figures vs stock Tiger.

The Versys 650 is quite literally half a Tiger 1050 in power. I like to call it Budget Multistrada.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    twinrider and pazzo like this.
  13. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bully for you, I hope I am still riding at 66!
  14. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at Road America this past weekend. Yamaha had demo rides going on but guess what, not a single Tracer 9 to be seen.
  15. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The demo fleet does not have them yet but will in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Some retail deliveries are occurring so there are a few in the States.
    Chillis likes this.
  16. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was there as well and saw a Tracer 900 GT but it was the 2020 model......lol. I test rode an Indian FTR1200 for fun. Great motor, didn't like much else of the bike :)
  17. STBNE

STBNE Southern Comfort

Oddometer:
    I was dissappointed at the Yamaha Demo day we had here... I did ride the 2020 Tracer 900GT and the 2020 XSR900...I was hoping to ride the new Tracer 9GT and they didnt have one...Kinda lame...I actually enjoyed the XSR900 more so it wasn't a waste of time..It was fun..
    CRFan1 likes this.
  18. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 66 yoa…..Not Old as I ride more now than when younger. I just want to ride lighter motorcycles as I age and have pretty much decided not to buy any bike that weighs over 600 lbs ready to ride. My Super Tenere is on the edge.

BTW, I saw a new T9 GT yesterday in WV at the MSTA STAR rally….did not get to talk to the owner, but looks good to me. The red color is good.
    Chillis likes this.
  19. STBNE

STBNE Southern Comfort

Oddometer:
    I'm 68 and I STill ride my Honda ST1100...I want to go lighter but i will STill keep the ST...
    olie and whisperquiet like this.
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the new MT-09SP and can confirm it is a significant move forward from the previous generation. I won't be on the Tracer until the end of July but this platform is a great place to start. The fueling was a heck of a lot better. The quick shifter was excellent and the new engine won't disappoint. It sounds great and is a bit smoother as well. The chassis is a lot better! I could own one.

My buddy that has 670 miles on his Tracer and his last tank was 52 mpg US. He tends to ride a bit on the aggressive side. He picked it up last Saturday and loves the bike. He is pretty picky.
    Lee R, Tarmac Kid and Suncoaster like this.