2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. jdm197

jdm197 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its on the demo truck now. they just got it. the split screen really doesn't bother me.
    Chillis and JeffPM like this.
  2. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to a Yamaha demo day and rode the new 2021 Tracer yesterday. My random thoughts are below. Keep in mind I have no real experience on anything but my beloved ST1100. I haven't really rode anything thing but my ST for the last ten years. I rode all day yesterday, so I could ride my ST n the Tracer back-to-back.

Bike only had 340 miles on it. Yamaha guys said they just got it. Ride route was much shorter than I'd like, 10 miles. Had low speed limits and was in mostly built up areas. Saw two cops on the group ride, so I never really got on it as much as I liked to. Route had a high number of round a bouts. Could not ride it as I would have liked.

The brakes were awesome. Absolutely amazing. Instant on without being grabby. Really highlighted how much brakes have improved in 22 years.

Wind protection was nice. Doesn't look like it will keep the wind off you much. But it felt fine. Windshield was in the low position and wind went above my helmet with no turbulence. Still had some airflow around it.

Shifting was a bit clumsy. At first. All my fault. I kept trying to use the clutch. Which was not what the bike wanted. After I stopped touching the clutch lever things were better. Still not as smooth as I'd like tho. I keep letting off the gas when shifting. A few miles into the ride I realized to just click it up and down. Don't use the clutch or let off the gas. After that, shifting was beautiful. When you want a new gear just tap the shifter up or down. Bike does a great job of handling the gear change. Quickshifter was awesome, after I let it do it's thing.

Gear shifter was way too low. I had to make an effort to get my boot under it. Seemed like I would never reach it. It would have to have been out of adjustment.

My full face helmet would not fit in the sidecases. Maybe if I had more time to puzzle it in...maybe. They look ugly as dog balls in pictures. That's because they are ugly as dog balls in real life too. I do not understand why they are shaped like that. They are kinda big, but because of the shape, nothing really useful would fit inside them. I'm hesitant in life to say things are useless, but these are damn near useless. I would HAVE to change them out. For anything. Even shoe boxes would be better. I wonder if the old style fits the mounts.

The dual screen thing doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It is readable in direct sunlight. Could be brighter. Bigger issue tho, it is busy. Especially the left screen. Seems to me that spreading out the info between two screens would have helped. The gear position indicator was easy enough to see. The tach was hard to read quickly. I'd probably just put my Garmin XT in front of the right side.

Power was good. But I was expecting more really. For a bike that had more power than my old ST and weighed much less, I thought it would be faster. Didn't really seem any quicker to accelerate, or that it had more ass. Perhaps the bike was still in break in mode? I never did give it full throttle either. Perhaps it had much more to give? I needed more time alone with it to figure that out.

It did change direction easy. But it wasn't twitchy. It was smooth. Neutral. Did what you asked and nothing more. Suspension was nice. So nice that I don't think I would modify it right away. I have no idea what the suspension settings were. The roads were mostly new/smooth. So perhaps it will show it's limits on rough pavement. I could not give it a proper test, but think it will do fine.

Speaking of settings. I have no idea what any of the settings were on the bike. I did not get a lot of time to play with it before the ride. And only had 10 mins after the ride. I think I saw "A-1" at one point.

Throttle was smooth. No jerkyness. Nothing came on abrupt. Power was smooth and linear. Engine noise was mostly air intake "roar". I could hear the exhaust but it wasn't loud.

Neutral riding position. Not a long reach to the bars. Things felt laid out nicely. Much easier to keep myself upright. Seat was hard. Will have to have a Russell Day Long. Pegs were a nice rearward position. Only layout complaint was the way too low gear selector. Rear brake pedal was fine. "Tank" seemed high up. I could rest my hands on top of it and it felt the seem height as my tankbag on the ST. I think once I put a tankbag on the Tracer it will be up to my nipples.

Bike looks better in person than in pics. I love the red color. Needs more red. Really needed at the back of the bike. Like on the saddlebags. Maybe some color on the wheels?

TL/DR: I like it. I liked it before I rode it and I like it more now. I can actually see myself buying it. But before that I need to rent it for the weekend. It may well replace my beloved ST1100!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right. The typical demo ride is too short to get a really good feel for the bike.

You have to use the quick shifter properly for it to work and when you do it works great. Keep on the throttle during upshifts. Close the throttle on downshifts is generally the way Yamaha has them set up.

I try to avoid judging a bikes acceleration at part throttle openings. Those can be manipulated and/or changed using the available ride modes. If I need more power I give it more throttle. If it doesn't have enough power at full throttle for you then you will have something to complain about. The new engine has gobs of usable power and should satisfy most folks.
  4. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    Using the quick shifter required a short time of adjustment. Once I did as you say, it works perfectly! I blame my clunky shifts on me and my older way of thinking. Once I adjusted things were fine.

I am withholding judgement on power output till after I rent the bike. After all I never went full throttle, it may very well have had lots more to give. My ST weighs ~200 pounds more and has about 14 hp less. I just thought it would have been noticeably faster. I don't think I can or should complain just yet.

My short time with the Tracer really highlights how much I love my bike. It also highlights the ST's flaws too. Bikes have improved immensely in 22 years. On the way back home I could not help but be disappointed with the brakes on my ST. Same time I was happy to be back on my Russell seat.

The Tracer is a great bike. I think it will sell well. A Tracer and an Xmax would make a great stable for me.
  5. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Nice review from Mossy at 44 Teeth, my favorite English curmudgeon reviewer:

Vrode and CRFan1 like this.
  7. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i agree with it needing more red, and would have liked something on the wheels. But they did put the wrong color bags on the red bike. They’re supposed to be color matched. There are red bags, the black is for the icon performance color.
  8. bmwmc

bmwmc Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    How cramped do they feel if any of you testers are tall? I tried a R1200RS. That was too small of a riding triangle for me. I'm on a GS now, but think I want something lighter and lower. 6'1", but apparently not the longest legs.
  9. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks except for the Panniers....they just seem so out of place (dare I say ugly) on the new bike :(
    Jeffo and bmac like this.
  10. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that. I thought every color got black bags. That's really good news then. There is a small section on the outer case that is glossy black. I would have painted that red to match. Some red reflective strips on the wheels would look nice. Around the headlights too. Then some 3M tape here and there. That stuff that's black until light hits it.

I forgot to mention mirrors and "handguards". Mirrors are an odd shape to me and wasn't large enough. Never got up to speed but they weren't buzzy. I couldn't see as much as I'd like to.

"Handguards" look very cheap and flimsy. Only attached at one place on the inside. Meaning, to me, that even in the softest of tipovers they would bend. Only having the one attachment point, they would pivot in and bend.

I'd have to replace both.
  11. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the UK as least, those panels are painted in the appropriate colour to match the bike, so the red ones have red inserts. Apparently the bags mark very easily, but its a lovely bike regardless
  12. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    as said above the glossy black section would be glossy red on the redline models.
  13. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Mine is promised for next Tuesday. Checked the gear position and seemed OK, no one from my dealer has complained so hope it was just the demo setup that was amiss. I have to admit both the Green and the Red look really nice in person. I have gone for the Icon as I quite like the blue wheels.
  14. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2018, I test rode a then-new-model Tracer GT. I had studied the bike, was ready to buy and really figured the test ride was just a formality. However, after a few miles I realized that the bike was just too cramped for me. It was an immediate deal killer. I’m 6’ with a 31” inseam. The very next day I bought (another) Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. No regrets.

But I still really like the Yamaha and hope that they have spread out the ergos a bit. My understanding is that this new GT is an all new bike. Does anyone know if it’s roomier than the “old” GT?

Too bad that those side cases are still too small, but that’s a relatively easy fix.
    olie likes this.
  15. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11" and 32" inseam. I felt fine...but I'm not tall...and it was only 10 minutes. I plan to rent one before buying. I wouldn't hold this generation accountable to the past gens faults.

Looks like my tester did have the correct bags. Seems all colors in the U.S. get black bags. Appears the UK bikes get to choose colored inserts.

Anybody know if the old bags fit the new bike? The 2021 parts diagrams arn't up at Revzilla yet. I don't care for the big boxy aluminum boxes either.
  16. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Motonirvana likes this.
  17. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the helmet and size. I’ve seen some go in right side up. But definitely something to keep in mind. Might glue a piece of foam on the bottom if needed.

God did they really stick them big ass reflectors on the side of the case like that?! Smh
  18. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
  19. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to locate one here in Norcal and general ball park of 17500 OTD. I think that's a fair price. What do you think???
  20. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's more than the Ninja 1000 isn't it?