2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. CRFan1

CRFan1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks except for the Panniers....they just seem so out of place (dare I say ugly) on the new bike :(
    Jeffo and bmac like this.
  2. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that. I thought every color got black bags. That's really good news then. There is a small section on the outer case that is glossy black. I would have painted that red to match. Some red reflective strips on the wheels would look nice. Around the headlights too. Then some 3M tape here and there. That stuff that's black until light hits it.

I forgot to mention mirrors and "handguards". Mirrors are an odd shape to me and wasn't large enough. Never got up to speed but they weren't buzzy. I couldn't see as much as I'd like to.

"Handguards" look very cheap and flimsy. Only attached at one place on the inside. Meaning, to me, that even in the softest of tipovers they would bend. Only having the one attachment point, they would pivot in and bend.

I'd have to replace both.
  3. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the UK as least, those panels are painted in the appropriate colour to match the bike, so the red ones have red inserts. Apparently the bags mark very easily, but its a lovely bike regardless
  4. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    as said above the glossy black section would be glossy red on the redline models.
  5. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is promised for next Tuesday. Checked the gear position and seemed OK, no one from my dealer has complained so hope it was just the demo setup that was amiss. I have to admit both the Green and the Red look really nice in person. I have gone for the Icon as I quite like the blue wheels.
  6. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2018, I test rode a then-new-model Tracer GT. I had studied the bike, was ready to buy and really figured the test ride was just a formality. However, after a few miles I realized that the bike was just too cramped for me. It was an immediate deal killer. I’m 6’ with a 31” inseam. The very next day I bought (another) Triumph Tiger 800 XRx. No regrets.

But I still really like the Yamaha and hope that they have spread out the ergos a bit. My understanding is that this new GT is an all new bike. Does anyone know if it’s roomier than the “old” GT?

Too bad that those side cases are still too small, but that’s a relatively easy fix.
    olie likes this.
  7. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11" and 32" inseam. I felt fine...but I'm not tall...and it was only 10 minutes. I plan to rent one before buying. I wouldn't hold this generation accountable to the past gens faults.

Looks like my tester did have the correct bags. Seems all colors in the U.S. get black bags. Appears the UK bikes get to choose colored inserts.

Anybody know if the old bags fit the new bike? The 2021 parts diagrams arn't up at Revzilla yet. I don't care for the big boxy aluminum boxes either.
  8. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Motonirvana likes this.
  9. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the helmet and size. I’ve seen some go in right side up. But definitely something to keep in mind. Might glue a piece of foam on the bottom if needed.

God did they really stick them big ass reflectors on the side of the case like that?! Smh
  10. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
  11. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to locate one here in Norcal and general ball park of 17500 OTD. I think that's a fair price. What do you think???
  12. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's more than the Ninja 1000 isn't it?
  13. STBNE

STBNE Southern Comfort

Oddometer:
    3sum likes this.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    What's your tax rate and registration costs. That price might be OK if you aren't in a position to negotiate due to supply demand. With just taxes and no other fees that bike would be about $16.3k here in Tucson so I imagine with registration and any other fees it would be around $17k.
  15. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks expensive to me ( for what your getting). All these bikes cost too much new imho.
    BlueRidgeKat likes this.
  16. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

9.25% not sure the total of prep. But its usually the same as shipping.

So

+ 430 shipping
    + 500 prep
    = 15829
    × 9.25% tax rate 1.0925
    = 17293
    + 85 doc fee
    + 300 dmv fees approx
    = 17678
  17. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m no expert but paying taxes on shipping and prep seems wrong.
  18. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    UK price is £12202 on the road. Non GT is £10202, considering the 1290 SAS in 2017 cost me £17k with panniers etc. added I don't think it's that bad. Ninja 1000sx performance tourer is £13349 I think.
  19. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really just stumbled upon this bike and it intrigues me. Amazing value at an awesome price point. I'll always be interested in a Yamaha.

Anyone have any insight on pillion accommodations (space, comfort, etc.)? My wife doesn't ride her own bike, but loves riding as a passenger with me.
  20. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    There are some youtube videos with passenger comments