2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised there's no chatting cause they are slowly tricking here in Norcal
  2. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got 3 tracer 9 gt’s around me but all of them are a bit over 2 hours away. I haven’t knuckled up and gone to see them yet. I haven’t made my mind up on whether I’d buy it or not.
  3. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far nothing more to say as I can't get out for rain. Will give a good update once i have done a few more miles on it.
    BeRadTheFish likes this.
  4. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep reading on FB and on YouTube that the seat sucks and the comfort seat sucks also.
  5. STBNE

STBNE Southern Comfort

Oddometer:
    At my age all stock seats suck...an RDL saddle is obligatory...No surpises and no complaints...
  6. greasyjonny

greasyjonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen half say it’s fine half say it’s horrid. As they say, there’s an ass for every seat
  7. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dropped by Cycle World in Athens on Friday to see the new GT9 they have on the floor. I wasn’t dressed to test ride, but was able to spend a little time ogling and sitting on it. This new model seems to me to be roomier than the earlier version, which has been one of my biggest concerns. The split instrument panel is weird but seems OK to me. A lot of info there…so much so that it may be hard to see when riding. Probably not a problem, but need to ride it to be sure. I still don’t like those weird bags, but hoping Givi will come to the rescue. The seat is hard as a rock, but that may not be a bad thing. As a Corbin guy, I apparently have a thing for very firm seats. The blue wheels are definitely not my favorite thing about the bike, but not really a deal breaker. I like the red version better anyway, and those apparently have black wheels.

Overall, I like the bike and will definitely be doing a test ride soon. It’s been a while (maybe never) since I’ve had a bike for long distance travel that didn’t require a new seat and windscreen. I wonder how long it will take Madstad to come out with a screen for this new model?

The sales guy pointed out some scraping damage on the right side of the rear wheel. Oddly, he said that many Yamahas they’ve received lately have arrived with some type of shipping damage. Gotta wonder what that’s about.
  8. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    I just don't get such a beautiful bike then they turn the side cases sideways....... or whatever they did to them.

9. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ask if test rides were allowed? Had a price on it? Did you see the shipping damage? Sounds like a cop out. My knee jerk reaction is they damaged it and played it off as "they all do that."

Redline does have black wheels.
    ghoststrykre likes this.
  10. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
  12. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told that a test ride would be allowed. Encouraged, actually. I’ve test-ridden bikes there before, so this wasn’t surprising. We didn’t discuss price, but, at this point anyway, I’m assuming full retail all the way. I’d be surprised if they’ll discount a new bike this early in the cycle. But what do I know? The wheel damage, which was easily visible on that damn blue wheel, didn’t really concern me after the guy said they were gonna discount the price accordingly or just put a new wheel on the bike. I can’t imagine any scenario where they could expect someone to buy a damaged brand new bike without adequate incentive.
  13. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    They aren't waterproof, need to use waterproof inner bags, also need ugly mounting racks/bars.
  14. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Managed another short ride, still liking it and the MRA screen attached seems to work real well. Only real crap thing is... a bike costing this much and they put a non adjustable clutch lever on it! I find the bite point is too far from the bars.
    rest of it is great, need more miles on it so i can get to know it.
    Chillis and ghoststrykre like this.
  15. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you find that the footpegs get in the way when you're at a stand still/stop?
  16. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Not had any problem with them as yet no.
    Chillis and ghoststrykre like this.
  17. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    Can this not be changed by turning the set screw where the cable joins the lever? Just add more free play to the lever?
  18. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird. I'm 6' 3" and own an FJ-09 which I find very roomy. When I rented a Tiger 800XRX a couple of years ago it immediately felt cramped compared to my FJ. I found the seat was in the low position so I moved it up. That improved the Tiger's ergos, but I certainly didn't feel it was any more roomy than my Yamaha. The cycle-ergo.com website shows the Tiger and Tracer have identical knee bends for my height, while the Tracer has a wider hip angle because the pegs are more rearward.

I wonder if the Tracer you rode had its seat in the low position?
  19. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    So, had a better ride out today. About 130 miles so my comments so far. Bike is really good, no where near the power of the 1290 KTM of course but just needs a few more revs and a lower gear for quick overtakes. Suspension is still stock even for my 280 lbs but didn't notice anything untoward. Yes the foot pegs catch the ankles when paddling it around, just need to get used to it and the side stand is difficult to use as it has no ball on the end. Soon got used to the clutch and not a real problem so will just leave it for now. The MRA sports addon flip screen removes just about any buffeting though I didn't have a problem anyway, on last 2 bikes, Caponord 1200 and KTM SAS I needed earplugs at all times, I don't with this and my Scorpion flip front helmet. Handling is light and easy, corners are planted and it tracks well. No wobbles at speed on twisties or on motorways. Slight buzziness at 4k rpm but nothing to give numb fingers. Seat is no more or less comfortable than my previous bikes with stock seats and though after about 2 hrs I needed to shuffle a bit it wasn't bad. Seat is on lowest (810mm) and I get both feet fairly flat, 31" inseam. I haven't ridden for over 2 years so am still going a little steady for now but still made good progress. Spirited riding over the Yorkshire moors and some dual carriageways returned average 58 UK MPG.
  20. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    So I've been bored....

A list from from Yamaha's euro website. A few things I think I'd want on a Tracer 9 GT. No idea if I can get these things, or if the part numbers will be found at a US dealer. But it was something to do.

FOG LIGHT STAY KIT - B5C-H54A5-00
    GT LICENCE PLATE HOLDER B5C-H4550-00-00
    GPS holder B5U-234A0-10-00
    50L Top Case Coloured Lid Panels 34B-F843F-0A-J0
    Side case colour set B5U-F17B0-00-02
    TRACER 9 SIDE PAD B5U-FSPAD-00-00
    Tank Pad Road to Fuji B4TFTPAD0000
    Explorer engine guard B5U-F43B0-00-00
    Front Axle Protector B7N-FFAXP-00-00
    Rear Axle Protector B7N-FRAXP-00-00
    50 L Top Case City 34B-F84A8-10-00

I also crossed referenced its oil filter to more common brands. According to: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/605891ee87a86610f01fd882/oil-cleaner The Tracer takes Part number 5GH-13440-61-00. Which according to: https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/YAMAHA/5GH-13440-00 is a WIX 51358. Available at RockAuto for only $1.64. Plus shipping.
    KeithU and 3sum like this.