2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. relayer4u

relayer4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is also a stand alone TPMS display with sensors yme-htpmk-00-00 and a specific Tracer 9 mount b5u-ftpms-00-00 available. May only display in Bar though, can't find much more info on it.
  2. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They made a fog light stay for the older FJ-09/Tracer 900 too, but never made it available in North America for some reason. The mounting points are there on the front subframe, they just decided we weren't worthy. Adventuretech and Givi both offered brackets for 2015-2020 models, but they probably won't work on the new Tracer 9. You may need to wait for the aftermarket to catch up, or find an overseas dealer willing to ship.

Yeah, most modern Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasakis, Triumphs, Indians, and many cars all basically use the same oil filter. I used to always use the Purolator PL14612 until they changed their mounting surface. Nowadays I just use the Yamaha OEM filter because the roads between here and the dealer are scenic and it gives me an excuse. Definitely not a filter snob though.
  3. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the TPMS stuff. But thought for the price I could get something better in the aftermarket. Thanks for including it. Somebody else might like it.

If I have to order stuff from the UK, or wherever, I will. I wanted just the stay so I could add my Clearwater's to it. No point in getting the whole LED kit.

Not really a whole lotta stuff available for the bike yet. I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up soon. Be real nice if I could find a waterproof tank bag that uses the tank lock ring thingy.

This will be my first Yamaha. Well second technically. I had an older Venture Royal. But never got to ride it. So it doesn't really count. Anywho...I'm just trying to put my thoughts on this bike in one place. Sorry if it spams the thread.
  4. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect that any ring that fit the FJ-09 or Tracer 900 will also fit the new Tracer 9 GT. Most Yamahas use the same type of ring. I think Givi specified a slightly higher ring for the Tracer due to clearance issues with the plastic trim panel on the front of the tank, but SW Motech specs the same tank ring for virtually all modern Yamahas.
  5. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope the ring is the same as I would like to use my Daypack SW-Motech bag.
    One thing I forgot to mention is the fuel gauge! Why oh why in this technical era can they not provide a linear fuel reading. The one on the new bike reads full until 110 miles then drops to half, I assume it has 2 level sensors much like my Capo did with one just being a float switch or some such.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The older Tracers are the same. There is a single float sensor attached to the fuel pump assembly. Because of the sloped shape of the tank, it's not possible for the float to reach any higher than it does.
  7. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sat on one at the dealer today. Nice bike. Feels light, but probably didn't have any fuel. I'm a short guy and it felt comfortable. Like 5'4" short. I'm able to put 1 foot down comfortably. I'm hoping it was on the high seat setting, but overall I am definitely thinking of buying one
  8. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
  9. bikerpunk

bikerpunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crazy! I bought that bike today. I drove damn near 700 miles today round trip to buy that after the folks at Brewer's cycle (45min away) tried to run a shell game on me with the price. The folks at Cycle World of Athens were awesome. They had the bike prepped and ready when I arrived. I was in and out in less than an hour. My sales guy Stephen was cool, easy to deal with and very accommodating. Yamaha is replacing the rear wheel under warranty. Brewer's cycle in Henderson N.C. just lost all of my business including parts. Sales scamer 3 card monty sales people suck balls. thumbnail_20210721_210344.jpg thumbnail_20210721_205422.jpg 20210721_173942.jpg thumbnail_20210721_210344.jpg thumbnail_20210721_205422.jpg
  10. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the wheel? shipping damage? @bikerpunk
  11. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what all my rims look like but I'm a real hack with tire irons... Nice bike!!
    dovetailredux likes this.
  12. bikerpunk

bikerpunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what the dealer told me.
    RoyQ likes this.
  13. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    no-mar, you should try one :-)
  14. The.Cheese

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the euro model has the ability to turn the headlights on/off on the righthand handle switch? Or if Yamaha has a police version of the switch pod? I'd like to add a few switches and a police switch pod would be a super clean way to do that.
  15. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is weird. I don’t recall which position the seat was in. But is it possible that FJ-09 and the 2018 Tracer GT have different ergos? Dunno, just wondering…
  16. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    They cannot be turned off. don't know if the left hand dip can be illuminated either.
  17. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Final review from the Missenden Flyer:
  18. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Still only done 350 miles but impressions so far are positive. Foot pegs don't really get in the way too much, seat is a bit hard so added my small sheepskin, small mra clip on seems to suit the bike and reduces just about all the wind noise. Not suffered from any buffeting so far at 6ft and 31" seam. Brakes are fine with a 2 finger pull, rear is the first I have had that actually works, pulls the bike up well. Fuelling is OK for euro 5 though it can stutter a bit when first opening the throttle, using mode 1 seems to have improved that. Handling is light and getting used to it more as time goes by, I have to admit I preferred the single TFT to the twin setup on this bike though it des all that is needed, I miss the shortcut option available on the KTM with this setup you need to have your eyes off the road setting the heated grips for more than I would like but it can be selected always active so just need to turn the thumb wheel to adjust. Indicator button is rather awkward to find at times as it is set a little inside the bar. Still not set the suspension sag up yet as not had a helper so far but all seems OK anyway. Exhaust is a love it or hate it, I like it as it means both panniers are the same size, KTM RH pannier was real small with a massive cut out for the exhaust, and the access and removal/fitting is a doddle.

All in all I think I made a good choice, either this or the Ninja 1000sx but I preferred the general fit of the Tracer 9gt and quite a bit cheaper once the luggage was added to the Ninja.
    Stomp347 and mbabc like this.
  19. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow, I completely missed the release of this bike!

I own an XSR900 that I love. A few years back, I rented a Tracer 900 for a week... that I didn't love. The CP3 just never felt half as fun in the Tracer 900 as it does in my XSR, and I recall the Tracer 900 being a little too tall and top-heavy for my 5'9" frame, but otherwise, the bike was fine.

Anyone have experience on the 9 versus the 900, and can weigh in? Much improved, or much the same?

I'll plan on demo'ing it at the IMS show next month, but opinions welcome...
  20. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've watched quite a few reviews from non-sponsored folks, and people have chimed in here. General consensus is that the engine is awesome, the quickshifter takes it to the next level as it is also wonderful, and the bike is dramatically better for the pillion than was the outgoing tracer 900. Semi-active suspension on the Tracer 9 GT trim appears to be pretty decent.

That being side, people are pretty divided on some of the choices Yamaha made on this bike. There are two lower lightbulbs on the bike, but only one functions during low beam use (high beam both are on). Included luggage on the T9 GT trim is large but many don't like the looks and functionality.

Then there is the split dash/HUD. It is two screens, and some of it doesn't appear to be very useful. The appearance of the screens are highly divisive, and in fact, many outright hate. They look like scuba diver goggles looking back at you. In my personal opinion, I feel like Yamaha could tweak this in future model years and really make this dash amazing (add TPMS, perhaps navigation/cell integration on one of the screens via apple carplay/android auto, etc.).

This new Tracer 9 seems like a solid motorcycle that favors function over form and represents a lot of value at its price. Tweak some ECU stuff to address the headlight situation, and then pop a more powerful CPU on the bike to handle some kind of smart phone integration to better use the dash and I think this is a very attractive bike. The dash may be made fun of for now, but I cannot emphasize enough that I think it was a fantastic initial idea by Yamaha that could be seriously refined into an industry standard. Loads of potential for this bike given that the riding characteristics appear to be pretty sublime.
    mbabc and daveinva like this.