2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Further to my last comments: Headlights? I cannot see why they didn't swap the light positions, 2 top lights are the cornering lights so why not have these as the main headlights? Close enough together to fit EU legislation so could have both on. Cornering lights would be much better in the lower lights anyway and light up a corner much better. Did another 75 miles today and decided to make it an economy run, no motorways but plenty of twisty A and B roads, no large throttle openings but still a decent pace. Achieved 66 UK MPG, not bad at al really.
    daveinva, tart, 3sum and 1 other person like this.
  2. scottzilla

scottzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT this past weekend from a guy who purchased the '21 model. We parked them side by side.
    He says the '21 is "Faster". It lunges forward and torque is increased.
    The suspension is much better (Though he had no complaints with the '19-nor did I riding it 370 miles home).
    The seat is redesigned; broader and firmer and the stitching looks really nice.
    The luggage looks better and functions a bit differently.
    The stock exhaust sounds throatier.
    LED lighting, cornering lighting.
    Yamaha moved the ignition key! I owned the bike 3 hours and the key placement on the '19 was already annoying me.
    Yamaha did a really nice job updating the look of the '21. It's a bit more swoopy than the angular look of the older models. I prefer the previous instrument cluster-the new split screen version doesn't work for me.
    quick shifter up and down on the '21.

All in all it's worth the 2K price increase over the '19 and '20 models. If I could find a '21 I probably would have bought one but so far i'm happy paying half for a used, low mileage '19.
    Jory, Bad Dad, Jetpilot5 and 4 others like this.
  3. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, they're virtually identical. I'll bet the Tracer you rode had it's seat in the low position.
  4. 916Rider

916Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there with some miles on this bike able to comment on bar and peg vibration? I’ve never had a triple. I looked at the bike at a local dealer recently and really liked it. Probably won’t be able to get much of a test ride though, which is just the way it is in my area. No demo days anytime soon either. Any owner comments/reviews appreciated.
  5. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had two bikes with this engine, the Tracer 900 and currently the XSR. I've not experienced excessive vibes on either bike, but that doesn't mean you wont. Vibrations felt by riders seem as subjective as screens and seats.
    You should try to get a test ride, only then will you know for sure.
  6. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I will comment on this even though I just have 2000 km on my new Tracer 9.

I am obsessed with vibrations.. been looking for smoothness at all RPM and speeds, therefor loads of bikes goes out of interest due to the "midrange RPM narrow vibration band", most common on inline 4's (pegs, bars, tank/seat).
    After 20 or so bikes bought and tested for vibrations I have a decent conclusion I belive (I will exclude the Honda Goldwing and Triumph Rocket 3, they might be smooth but I highly doubt it).

All bikes vibrate at certain rpm, speeds, loads, temperatrures and other conditions. The thing for me now is to find a bike that feels similar throughout the full RPM band even if that means vibrations everywhere.. But acceptable vibrations in the sense
    of frequency, strength and character. Here I have hope for the Tracer 9 as it has vibrations throughout the rev range except for very low RPM (under about 3000 it is hard to find vibes). In D-mode 1 you get the most "smeared out" vibrations that I feel is the
    nicest option. We do get a more pronounced vibration in the handlebars at about 4200 RPM and 5300 RPM, the ~5000 RPM vibes are fine imo but the ~4000 RPM vibes are just a tad to strong for me, giving a slight tingle in my left grip ( Nothing that make hands go numb though).

There has been some report that with miles put on the bike the 4000 RPM vibration will go away.. could happen but I wouldn't count on it as a sure thing. What can be enough though is to do some modification of the handlebars, bar-ends, grips, rubber risers i.ex.
    I am not there yet but I might slip a pair of Pro grip 714 over the existing grips (works awsome and really reduce vibes nicely) https://www.amazon.se/Pro-Grip-714-Progrip-handtag/dp/B0074Y3R6O

!! Remember to re-torque the handlebar bolts and bar-end weights !! Dealers seems to just snug them down to tourqe values way out of line in my experience. I always get rid of vibrations that way.

Over all the Tracer 9 vibrates very little and are probably one of the smoothest bikes there is to get. The minor vibrations that occur is in the handlebars.

In this case, where you are sensitive to vibrations it would be worth a lot to somehow get a test-ride.. or like me, prepare yourself to just sell it with a greater loss if you can't live with it.
    But honestly, I do think you will be happy with it!

Daniel
    Suncoaster likes this.
  7. 916Rider

916Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up Daniel, that was great. I wish we had test rides like in Europe, alas we don’t. At least not that I know of near me. I have to go through the buying process, then I will get at least a short test ride before the final commitment.
  8. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    Not done as many miles as the previous commenter, just over 400 but no major vibrations. There are some but only minor bar vibes, compared with the KTM they are nothing, that used to shake the mirrors at 6500+ and the FJR I had was major vibes at 4000. Grip puppies would probably reduce these even more but as a rider that is sensitive to vibrations I find it quite acceptable.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  9. EnzoftheRoad

EnzoftheRoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MFP, fastring, flinders_72 and 8 others like this.
  10. EnzoftheRoad

EnzoftheRoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just over 300 km (~200 miles) loop today @ 29c (85f) on the Tracer

lots of power, v. good sound (I love triples), played with suspension & windshield settings, trying to keep it under 5,000 rpm for break-in and first oil change

4.5L/100 km (52 mpg U.S or 62 mpg Imperial) on the first tank

love it so far, no negatives yet

for reference, I'm 64, 5' 8", riding for 50+ years

95C85ED8-519E-4260-9C48-33137247941D.jpeg
    MFP, Jetpilot5, tart and 8 others like this.
  11. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    First service booked. Enjoying the bike and so far only 2 little niggles. 1: Quickshift is pretty notchy going down and requires a really firm push to change cleanly, seems to be worse now than when new. 2: Probably Euro 5 problem but the motor runs really lean, evidence is if on full throttle you roll off a bit there is a real surge in acceleration and around town there is lots of misfiring going on. Don't know if others have found the same?
  12. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You’re in Cali, see if there is another member in the area with one and reach out ( perhaps on a tracer specific forum). I know that if you show up on a bike that isn’t ragged out and have a halfway decent personality I will let you do a test ride on my bike ( on the third coast quite a ways away fro you and on a mt-09 sp so not a match lol). Bikes and coffee meets will usually get you an old codger like me who says “ hell, take it for a spin ! “
  13. demuire

demuire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking one of these up tomorrow, I don't suppose anyone here has a service manual for it?
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  15. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800 owner here.
    I rode one at a demo yesterday and came away impressed. Though I don't rate the engine to be as good as Triumph's, it was a better bike (for me) in terms of handling, weight management, controls and comfort. I don't buy new bikes but if I did, I'd be at the dealer as soon as it opened.
    tart likes this.
  16. Rockbyter

Oddometer:
    One thing about that last review video. The Little arrow indicators on the dash are not for changing up and down they are to indicate that Quickshift is ready to use. Speed and throttle are correct for a up or down shift and the system is turned on.
    greasyjonny and oldoval like this.