2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I previously had thought that I would pick up a new ninja 1000 but this new Tracer 900 with electronic suspension is enough to make me change my mind. Might have to go for a twofer and pick up a Tenere 700 as well.
  2. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    2021 Tracer 7 GT:

[​IMG]
    Vrode, Hamamelis, outdoorsman and 5 others like this.
  3. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still putting those junk dunlop tires on the 9 GT. Pretty sure the US bikes will also have the big orange blinkers as well since Yamaha has a warehouse full of the ugly things in Japan.:baldy
    Motonirvana likes this.
  4. DEUCE SLUICE

DEUCE SLUICE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wait what

in the States?
  5. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll reserve judgement until I see one in person, but I have to say the new Yamahas don’t photograph very well. It does look good in the video though. I never liked the T7 until I saw it in person, and now I think it is probably the best looking ADV on the market.
    3sum, BlueRidgeKat and Chillis like this.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Maybe not...from the US site....

Full LED Lighting With Cornering Lights

"....The position lights also use LEDs for a wider field of illumination....."

7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think the split screen instruments may not be a bad thing. Bikes like this have so much info crammed into their small displays, separating some of it might make it quicker to find the info you are wanting, once you get used to where everything is located.

As a street only bike that needs to combine commuting, touring, and fun, this seems hard to beat. Yamaha claims the mpg number is increased up to 49, which means for me, I'd probably see >60mpg regularly outside of highway riding at >65mph.
  8. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 gallon tank and they kept a traditional key which is a big plus in my book. Not a bad looking bike but will reserve judgment until I can see it in person. I like what I’ve read so far.
  9. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the direction they went. It looks like a fantastic ST bike. I even like the styling versus the MTs that just came out, which look terrible. Definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Hopefully fueling and suspension are up to par. Those two areas have been weaknesses for quite some time. At least the spec sheet would say that the suspension ought to be decent if they pick the correct tuning. Another concern would be the brakes. Other bikes in this segment now run Brembo Stylema with 310mm rotors. Not that everything needs to be Brembo but with that much engine performance, good brakes are a must.
  10. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked a little bit longer at this bike, and I have to say that is looking a LOT more like the FJR-Lite that a lot of people have been asking for. Minus the shaft drive, of course...
    Motonirvana likes this.
  11. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like all the Yamaha models are getting uglier this year.
    Pabst, mrbreeze, Tarmac Kid and 3 others like this.
  12. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
  13. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I would have much preferred a more traditional fully adjustable suspension. How difficult will these electronic forks be to service on your own? My guess is 99% of these sold will NEVER be serviced due to complexity and cost.

Like others here have mentioned, I'll have to see one in person before final judgement on looks, although those side cases are hideous. It's also a little steep in price for the market it was selling in.
    victor441, 3sum, RoyQ and 1 other person like this.
  14. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Agree with this. The electronically adjustable stuff is more of a future liability. I'd rather have seen better front brakes and top spec manual suspension.
  15. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Crap, I like it. Do I like it enough to let my 2020 Ninja 1000 go after only a year?
    Chillis likes this.
  16. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do to. I was taking a close look at the 2020+ Ninja 1000SX until this came out. It looks like I will have to hold off until I test ride this one. This list of upgrades is impressive. The biggest plus to me are the changes in the frame and riding position.
    Chillis and olie like this.
  17. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    Can't get into the look of this one. Don't care for it looking like you have a light out either and the cases are on sideways??? Would have to go with a leftover 2020 for $2000 less. A search shows there are plenty out there.

3sum and GlennR like this.
  18. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    If I added the factory luggage and heated grips to my Ninja (which are in my plans) I'd be really close to the price of the Tracer. The only big thing my Ninja would still be lacking comparison wise would be the e-suspension... which I can take or leave honestly. The Ninja's manual suspension is really good, as are the brakes, handling, etc.

But the seating position you mention is a big factor. Even with bar risers my Ninja is still pretty sporty. I'm still on the fence as to whether it works for me. Ripping at a fast pace the ergos work perfect. In town commuting or long straight stretches of highway the position can feel a little confining.

Decisions.

Chillis likes this.
  19. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who likes side load cases? Top load is sooooo much more practical. When will the "sport" touring models understand its ok to shift to top load panniers? Who wants the clothes falling out every stop when opening a pannier to grab something. Or balance keeping stuff in when shutting it? Gravity folks, its in your favor, just leverage it in the lid design to keep the contents in...
  20. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    1000cc and I'm in.