2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    what will be the GPS speed at 5000 PM ??... I am asking the GPS speed as Yamaha is notorious with about 7% higher indicating speeds.
  2. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't claim to know or otherwise but you would have thought their technical people would have been able to answer my query. Instead they put me in touch with the UK division who so far have failed to replay at all.

Only other thing of note on the Tracer 9 is the speed inaccuracy, up towards the 10% error compared to Tomtom 400.
  3. FLFlatLander

FLFlatLander n00b

Oddometer:
    Just bought mine yesterday and am really enjoying it. Took it out for a dawn patrol ride this morning. Very smooth, love the electronics package, and the cruise control and quick shifter are super. Has anyone else noticed the clutch is a little grabby at the point of engagement? Almost feels like shuddering. Just curious. Gonzo at the Beach.jpeg Gonzo at the Beach Closeup.jpeg
  4. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike. Enjoy.
    FLFlatLander likes this.
  5. Rockbyter

Rockbyter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No judders on mine though the bite point is quite far out. I also think it needs an updated fuelling map. A couple of times I have had it stall when just opening the throttle as the clutch begins to bite, just at that time when you pick up the throttle to pull away it just dies. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci8h541e3jqm9p5/stall.mp4?dl=0 Still liking it though and it is a superb middle weight bike.
    tart and FLFlatLander like this.
  6. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What?! a new Yamaha needs a re-map?! Impossible! (Re-mapped all three of my new Yamaha's including 2017 FZ10 and 2021 T7). Hopefully 2WDW has something that can work with the new bike shortly. I know the 2020+ R1 ECU's are still a problem for tuners.
    danketchpel, 3sum and FLFlatLander like this.
  7. FLFlatLander

FLFlatLander n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Went out for 150 miles this morning and fiddled with the clutch more. Adjusted the free play and gave it more gas while moving out from a standing start and the bike is much happier.
  8. Evansu2

Evansu2 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I'm a brand new member to the board, joined up just for this thread to be honest. 2 weeks ago I picked up my Tracer 9 GT and have only been able to put a few hundred miles on it. Commute into the office (straight line stuff) and then 1 in the hills 100 mile ride on a weekend. From my past experience, this is only my third bike, old interceptor 700, ninja 650, then this, I have rode a few others, but not owned. This bike is only 40 more pounds than my 2016 ninja was, which kind of surprised me. I had added Shad side bags to it, weird I know, so I was hoping these stock bags would fit my Icon Airflite helmet, but the Tracer does not. Just an inch maybe two too large to fit. My HJC FG-17 helmet fit no problem.

The pegs do get in the way of my legs, but that's just how that goes.
    I'm only 5'9 so wind isn't too much of an issue for me, low or high on the windscreen.
    I haven't had any clutch issues with bite, reach, or anything else. It seems easy and a short pull to be fully engaged. The quick shifter, my first experience with one, is awesome.
    Adjustable suspension I could definitely feel the difference between A1 and A2
    Fuel, I don't ride the slowest, but so far I'm averaging around 42MPG, and I'm using 91 octane fuel
    Feet aren't fully planted, 30-31" inseam, and I do tip-toe. Usually I one flat foot and right foot on brake at a stop anyways, so doesn't seem too awkward.
    Scuba mask interface isn't the worst, definitely could be better, but it's bright in the sun, not crazy at night, and adjustable. It works, so that's all I care about really

Hit me up with anything you might want to ask, I might not know, but maybe a pic or something else could answer the question? Worst I can do is say "no clue...sorry"

Take care guys, and go enjoy whatever ride you got!

Attached Files:

9. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike. Can't wait to hear a more long term opinion.

Have you tried the helmet upside down?
  10. RiderGary

RiderGary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion. I have a KTM SDGT and upside down is the only way a helmet will fit in its panniers. Hope it works.
  11. Evansu2

Evansu2 n00b

Oddometer:

Funny thing is, yes I did. When I first went to the showroom, I tried both sides, regular, and then upside down. Didn't fit. Once it was home, mine, and I could really push/pull try things out, I did so, with same results. Nothing fit.

Last night I saw your post, and was like you know what?? What will it hurt? My right bag I've tried a few ways, and it barely wouldn't fit due to the "spoiler" off the back upper side of the helmet. Turns out, the left fit just so last night. Once opened again, no marks on the matte black finish of the helmet, so obviously it fit better than I thought it did.

Morale of the story...don't overthink it sometimes, just get er done.

Thanks guys for the reminder.
  12. tart

tart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    014CCAAB-E848-45F6-BAE5-FE34F554D89A.jpeg
    Heres mine.
    mbabc, fastring, Suncoaster and 4 others like this.
  13. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beside the instrument cluster, nice bike for sure.
    How is the wind noise and buffeting on this bike?
  14. Evansu2

Evansu2 n00b

Oddometer:

I was jealous that the matte paint isn't a US option. But then I saw the blue wheels. But MAN that's a sweet look
  15. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    Got one of these yesterday. Only got to ride it a couple of miles home in the rain - looking better today. I made a backrest for my wife - decided I'd make a rack too.
    Tracer-9-GT.jpg
    Rack.jpg
  16. FLFlatLander

FLFlatLander n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'7", but have short legs and a long torso (so I sit more like someone who is 5'9"), and find the wind noise and buffeting to be quite minimal. I keep the windshield around the midpoint in its range and it seems to work well for both slow speed and high speed riding. YMMV.
  17. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My ”non-GT” has 5000 KM now. I am surprised how refined and smooth this one is. Pretty much nothing more to wish for at the moment.. should be a shaft drive then .. chain has caused me no hassle though, so I’m happy!
    93B8C34B-A024-4D52-8E36-C12058F5663F.jpeg
    FLFlatLander, DeepBarney and tart like this.
  18. DLFLHT

Oddometer:
    Got it out for about 60 miles today. I've had a lot of bikes, but this is right at the top of the funnest bikes I've had. I'm 62, so I appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight. My wife is comfortable on the back (we ride two-up most of the time). I was a bit hesitant given various reports of buffeting, but I'd say those reports are overblown based on what I'm experiencing. I've ordered the Yamaha touring screen and I think that'll clean it up just enough for me.
    FLFlatLander and danketchpel like this.
  19. DLFLHT

Oddometer:
    WTF is this rubber thingy that was left under the seat?
    IMG_2005.jpg
  20. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is for adjusting the seat height to the highest position, my seat is always in low position so I have never used it.