2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You can already do all of that to an MT-10 except the turning lights.

....and the -SP gets a mekatronic Ohlins as well.
    3sum likes this.
  2. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except I don't think any top load cases can fit a full face helmet, which is something these new Tracer bags can supposedly do. I agree in theory that top loading is desirable, but if the bag holds a FF helmet that's way more valuable to me.
    EZMoney, Chillis, fastring and 3 others like this.
  3. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree top loading can be easier but would love to be able to fit a full cace helmet in my 2020 Tracer GT side cases. Spent some time studying the photos and videos and think it is much better looking than the photos make it. It's got some complex shapes but they do seem to work. Im not a fan of the side case looks but if they work then I'd take them. A lot of the changes seem to be in direct response to dislikes/complaints about the current version. IMO they started a couple of generations ago with a hooligan bike and calmed it down for the 2018 thru 2020 version and now looks like (from specs) have further refined it. Looks to be a full fledged sport touring bike that can carry more and is better suited to sport touring but may have given up a little bit of the raw sport side - it is still going to be very sporty though. I had a 206 BMW F800GT which was a great platform with a not so good engine - another big flaw was the heat it would dump on the riders inner thighs in hot temperatures. Looked at the BMW F900XR but hart to find and expensive one outfitted similar to the Tracer GT. IMO the new Tracer 9 GT is an overall better bike and significantly less costly. I don't regret for a minute trading my F800GT for the 2020 Tracer GT last September. If something were to happen to my Tracer GT then I would buy the 2021 Tracer 9 GT.
    EZMoney, KeithU and Motonirvana like this.
  4. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The helmet storage makes sense. I dont typically store my helmet on the bike but for those that do, its a valuable feature. On long trips I use a top case and put the helmet there with a charger to top off the comms devise while taking an extended break. Otherwise, helmet is with me in the office when commuting or on hand for short breaks.

Love this updated bike. Seems like Yamaha is on a roll for updates. T7, this, the '16 update to FJR. The WR250 could use an update but it did have FI when released so that beats much of the Japanese competition.

Lets see what Kawasaki releases in a few days...
    outdoorsman and Chillis like this.
  5. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be cancelled for 2021 same as R6 and Vmax.
  6. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    Loving a lower seat height, about an inch or so, huge for shorter riders. I also like that finally there is an exhaust that is not designed to look cute but is for performance only. What the hell is all the commotion about what a fucking muffler should look like? It's like I'm stuck in a Harley dealership reading some of the threads. As for overall looks, if the design works for aerodynamics I don't care. Bikes I once thought were hideous are now sensible. Less displacement is fewer dollars thrown at the insurance thugs. Button suspension adjustment to adapt instantly to changing roads. And that is huge where I live and ride. And it's a Yamaha, no worries, it won't retire components soon after warranty like some other brands. The only think I see missing in the pictures is myself riding away.
    Chirosyd, outdoorsman, KeithU and 2 others like this.
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Its a use case.

I don't mind side loaders at all I use them as storage for the camping gear, so they aren't open unless I am setting up or breaking down camp....and they are off of the bike at both points. Day to day stuff goes out of the top case and/or tank bag.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    R6 continues in Europe but only for track use, no road version ongoing from 2021.
  9. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like side cases but use a roll bag on top of them for the stuff I need during the ride, simply unhook the roll bag and take it with me to the cafe etc.
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I have all hard, plus with where I live you don't have to worry about leaving helmets, electronics and whatnot hanging off of the bars...plus the fun part of 121L of hard luggage, its hard to break into
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 2016 BMW S1000XR w/ 2600 miles for $10K with all the same tech plus 160 Hp. Seems Yamaha is 5 years behind and 60 Hp short here. I admit I had to drive 5 hours for it & haven't had the pleasure of experiencing BMW tech rates yet though.
    ontrip and 3sum like this.
  12. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I think you need to be fair here and compare to the F900XR, and also compare new prices. The base price is lower for the BMW, but most people caution that BMW likes to force you to up-spec from base to get all the gagetry that is standard on the T9GT. On an initial look, you must add a premium package to get to a similar feature spec as the T9GT, and that raises the price to the mid $14K range. The F900XR is down on power but maybe has a torque advantage? I haven't seen the actual spec of this new Tracer, only mentions of a 7% increase or some such.

Of course, we will see how these depreciate. That is one of the great features of BMW to their second owner, they have terrible depreciation. I've also taken advantage of that fact with the R nine T and getting pretty much the same depreciation after 2,400 miles that you have. BMWs are great used machines to purchase!
  13. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far, the MT-10 SP isn't available in the US, but is in EU, UK...anywhere else really.

But, the MT-09 SP wasn't available until the new 2021 model, so maybe we get to have the MT-10 SP soon too.
  14. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comparing new to used is not really an apples:apples comparison. A typical 2021 S1000XR is ~$22k, plus another $500-600 for the OEM saddlebags. The Tracer 9GT with bags and similar equipment is $15k.

I'm thinking of replacing my '15 FJ-09 next year, and the S1000XR was at the top of the list. I plan to buy new, not used. I might like the extra power of the BMW, but I'm not sure it's worth another $6-7k.
    Chillis likes this.
  15. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the rates. If you ride a lot it is not cheap. IMO BMW dealers vary significantly in quality. If you have a good one that does good work fine otherwise you may have more service induced problems than bike caused problems. I had a BMW F800GT which I bought used with 4,700 miles. Also bought a 3 year unlimited mileage service contract. Traded that bike for a 2020 Tracer GT 26 months later with 31,000 miles on it. I added up the printed costs on the services and it was almost $5,000! My service contract cost me $1,500. If you ride a lot and have a good dealer that is a good way to go.
    I seriously considered an F900XR and looked at a couple of the early ones. However compared to the 2020 Tracer GT and even the more expensive 2021 they cost a lot more to get equipped for touring with center stand, heated grips, cruise control and side cases. The local dealer has a base F900XR they can't seem to move. I inquired about it but they could not get all the essentials (center stand, heated grips, cruise control, side cases) for it. What I hated most about my F800GT was the engine - didn't sound good, didn't make enough HP. F800GT also had a problem with blowing hot air on my inner thighs whenever the temperature was over 90F. My Tracer very good in that area - have had it in 96F weather and no heat issues.
    Chirosyd likes this.
  16. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice upgrade. Its hard to tell from photographs, but the side view of the bike indicates that the seat no longer slopes forward as much. That was my main cause of discomfort on the 900 GT on long trips. I had 4 bikes with the 847 triple over the last 5 years, it's a great engine. The extra 40cc should make it even better. The ES suspension, and IMU with cornering ABS, is great. It is a nit pick, but I still would prefer both headlights to be on with low and high beam. Even though it went up substantially in price, they didn't go crazy with the price increase like Kawasaki did with their Versys 1000 upgrade.
  17. rhuff

rhuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GT 900 was on my short list for when I buy in 2022. Looks like this might be moving to the front of the class.
  18. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the mechanical package, but I really prefer the looks of the old GT. This thing looks a little wonky. A shame.

curious for a ride on this new motor though, my friends XSR is a riot
    MCGMB, rhuff and 3sum like this.
  19. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! Couldn't agree more! Every. Inch. Counts.
  20. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got rid of my '14 F800GT Premium for this exact reason, way too hot especially during summer months in Sacramento.