2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bah! All you short people are ruining the Tracer.
    victor441, olie, whisperquiet and 6 others like this.
  2. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    I don’t want to speak for Glenn, but I believe he was replying more to my comment about looking for a used XR more so than comparing it to a new Tracer.
    GlennR likes this.
  3. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m a little stumpy with a 29” inseam jeans when I can find them, and the old tracer is very manageable. Toes down on both sides, combined with light weight. Can’t imagine there was a big demand for a lower version?!?!??
  4. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 1000cc four makes more power than a 900cc triple. Wow.
    NumberCruncher, Tarmac Kid and rhuff like this.
  5. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
  6. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The xr is in another weight and power category

This competes with the tiger
  7. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems arbitrary. The reality is some people will cross-shop the Tracer against the S1000XR, F900XR, Tiger 850/900, Versys 1000LT+, Ninja 1000, V-Strom 1000/650, Super Duke GT, Multistrada, and probably others. The S1000XR, KTM, and Ducati are all a lot more expensive, but the feature set of the new Tracer 9GT will probably have some people wondering if they're willing to sacrifice some horsepower to save $7k+. I'm certainly making that calculation right now myself.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    S1000XR starts at 17,600.....
    Yamaha is advertising 485 pound wet weight sans bags. S1000XR is advertised at 489 "in lightest configuration" which likely includes the forged wheels.....and with a starting price of $15,000USD you are talking a 3000 dollar price difference.
  9. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I like the new Tracer GT's look (and am especially stoked for the suspension and frame improvements), but then I also read enough of IDW's Transformers comics that I'm a little bit of a simp for angular robots, so my judgements on that bike and the MT-10 should be taken with a grain of salt
  10. wlattsche

wlattsche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like Honda Varadero fucked a BMW XR....and what's up with the one eye.....
    slipknot likes this.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    Hamamelis likes this.
  12. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well no. The $17.9k (2021 MSRP) version of the S1000XR does not have heated grips, cruise control, semi-active suspension, quick shifter, hand guards, a centerstand, adaptive headlights, or saddlebags. All of these things are included with the $14.9k Tracer 9GT. The S1000XR with these features will cost over $22k. That's more than a $7000 difference.
    Tarmac Kid, PhotoAl, olie and 3 others like this.
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so comparing starting price to starting price isn't a fair comparison now?
  14. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not if you're trying to compare value, especially in the case of BMW. You can't even get the $17.9k version of the S1000XR unless you special order it. If all you care about is the S1000XR motor then yes, maybe special-ordering the stripped version makes sense. But most people who buy a sport tourer nowadays want cruise control, heated grips, and saddlebags at a minimum. And with chain drive I would also argue that a centerstand is mandatory on a sport tourer as well.

This is why virtually all S1000XRs imported to the USA will have both the Premium and Select packages. Go ahead and do a search of BMW dealership websites, and come back to me when you find one actually advertising that they have the $17.9k version of a 2021 S1000XR in stock. You won't; they're all $21-22k, and that's without saddlebags.
    Fidget, olie, Clem Fandango and 3 others like this.
  15. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it isn't, when standard equipment is is so different! It only makes sense to talk about pricing when comparing apples to apples.
    olie and Jetpilot5 like this.
  16. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was going to buy a new bike right now, this would be it.
  17. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    If Kawasaki did a serious upgrade to the Versys 650 (now kinda outdated and top heavy in its class) or Yamaha brought the Tracer 7 over I'd probably buy one of those first but, in lieu of such, I think I'm right there with ya

My city also only really has a Triumph/KTM/Guzzi Euro dealer and a Honda/Yamaha dealer in close (the rest are either 25-35 miles out in the 'burbs, or in the next city over two hours away...) so that basically cuts my easy options in half, but I don't mind because it reduces choice overload for me
    Motonirvana and Stomp347 like this.
  18. FutureBoxer

FutureBoxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it too. I'd consider trading my MT10 in on one. It's exactly what I tried turning mine into with high screen, saddlebags, handguards and comfort seat.... but the range issue still ruins things. This Tracer would solve it all plus add heated grips, center stand and better bags plus ergonomic adjustability right out of the box.

I just wish you could have right and left lights on simultaneously. Always looks like a light is burned out to me. I run with the high beam on in daytime on the MT10 for this reason. Small nit pick...
    Hamamelis, Stomp347, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  19. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great upgrade with the semi active suspension and electronic suite if you can get past the styling.

Think it is a good response to the F900XR and lower price option to the Multistrada 950s.

However, it is bumping into slightly used S1000XR money and BMW has a 3 year warranty.
    fastring likes this.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think I'd rather not have a warranty I don't need rather than have I warranty I need.
    EZMoney, Pabst, slipknot and 8 others like this.