2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke:

"Why do BMWs have longer warranties? They need them."
    Bad Dad and Stomp347 like this.
  2. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask my friend of mine about his FJ 09 who had his motor grenade itself 19 months after purchase.

Got some goodwill because it was a fairly common issue with the cam chain tensioner.

He now rides a BMW
    3sum likes this.
  3. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'looks like a fairly feature-rich bike for the touring-light sub-segment, I look forward to taking a look at in once its state-side. It's also nice to see uber-tech drift into more moderate price points. It's not cheap but for some of the bits it delivers it seems more than reasonable, we'll see...
    Speedtrap and Motonirvana like this.
  4. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge fan of allowing the best tech (electronic suspension and such especially) into bikes below the 1200-1300cc size range, let alone sub-liter machines. Feel like "modestly sized" shouldn't have to correlate with "cheap" eh
  5. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    I hope yamaha sends their test ride fleet next summer. I would love to try this bike out.
    Motonirvana and JeffPM like this.
  6. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to getting a test ride on this one in the new year.
    Bought a new Tracer 9 in 15, was very happy with it but it got wrote off in 17. So thought i'd have a change and bought the XSR while keeping that great triple engine. But i do miss the better long distance capabilities and touring aspects of the Tracer over the XSR.
    This new un could tempt me back to a Tracer.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree..... but only if it's actually "good" tech, not just bogus window dressing to pump the market. I remember all the rave reviews about the "Moto GP inspired" front suspension on the then new 2006 Yamaha FZ1. Rebound on one side and Compression on the other. They made it sound good, but we quickly learned they were pretty inferior to true conventional forks with rebound on top, comp on bottom, didn't work all that great and is expensive to work around to make good (yes - I have an FZ1). Yamaha would have done us a much better service to just use real, fully adjustable forks with cartridges that can be easily serviced or modified. That would've also dropped the price, which I think has climbed too much. If Yamaha claims that these new-fangled electronic forks don't add more cost vs good conventional forks, then that tells me a lot about the true nature of what we will really be getting.
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    My previous KTM 1290 SAT (2015) has semi-active suspension and was sublime, that was 5 years ago so this tech will have moved on quite a bit since then. It's one of the big features that attracts me to the new Tracer 9.
    ontrip likes this.
  9. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to bet that the electronics on your KTM are way ahead of what Yamaha will put on the Tracer 9. I really hope I'm wrong, I want to like it as well, as the Tracer 9 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I would just hate to see a virtually unserviceable item stuck on the front of an otherwise great platform.

Did you ever have your KTM's forks serviced? If so, how much? I know for a fact that my local dealer will not even attempt to open electronic forks. Typical midwestern moto dealerships do not mess with suspension work. Shoot, when I bought my Triumph, the dealer wouldn't even assist me with setting the SAG! Fortunately, I have all the tools needed to service conventional forks. Shocks - I have to pay out the ass and have sent off to BFE.
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    My KTM was a 2015 model, so the tech will have moved on from then, same with all semi-active suspension manufacturers. The KTM had 26,000kms on it when I sold it, suspension worked like new, just yearly servicing on the bike, forks weren't touched.
  11. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like midsized bikes and agree they need to get the tech features down to them as well. Don't know that I need a dozen different modes, I'd be happy with 2 plus one I could customize. Once I get a bike set up the way I like I tend to leave it set that way. I'm still not sure about the electronically adjustable suspension. It's more complex with more sensors and more difficult to rebuild but same with fuel injection and I don't want a bike with carburetors. I think Yamaha is moving in a good direction in this regards, once the development is done the cost of moving from one platform to another should not be that expensive. I could see a premium SP version with better components and more electronics but keep it simple without a bunch of options. I really dislike the BMW method of having a base model with options that add to to several thousand dollars. I found a good (???) deal on a base F900XR but couldn't get one of the essential items added to it so passed on the deal - glad I did as I bought a 2020 Tracer GT with everything I wanted for just $1,000 more than the discounted base F900XR - that's before I items like heated grips, center stand, side cases, cruise control, etc. I'm excited about the new Tracer 9 GT even though I just bought a 2020, not disappointed. It says to me that Yamaha is listening to its customers and moving forward and addressing areas of concern and making the bike better without increasing the price too much. And when I wear my current one out there will be a nice bike for me to move too.
  12. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    That's how I feel about the CRF300L after owning a 250 for a year and a half now - the companies seem to be making the right changes to some of these bikes, without compromising the spirit of 'em
    Motonirvana likes this.
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Different manufacturers
  14. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    I had a '14 KTM 1190, the forks were better than the Tracer's, stock for stock, but what irked me was not being able to change the compression and rebound independently of one another. I was happy with the OEM spring rates and compression but really wanted to slow down the rebound. The shock was non serviceable though I still had Cogent Dynamics drill into the reservoir and serviced away. I want to say the revalving/new wear parts/oil/service for the front and rear was just under $700. Its been a while though, I might be wrong. Pulling the forks and shock was easy and the electronic plugs are no more involved than unplugging a USB. I came, I rode, I serviced and ultimately just wanted my manual clickers back, hence the Tracer. Once you get the cap off the electro-suspension parts aren't that much different than normal, servos instead of clickers.

I'm not sure what my point is, except to say that you will probably find the electronic shocks easy to have serviced by the time the bike needs it. Also! I agree, The Tracer 9 is too expensive, though I want to combine the chassis/motor/(fingers crossed)fueling of the new bike with my current Tracer.

I'm staying put on my '19 Tracer, I've become one with the chassis flex.
    bmac and scootertrog like this.
  15. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you're flexible. I hope it works out for you long term.
    Speedtrap and Tarmac Kid like this.
  16. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:

"Zen and the Art of Chassis Flex" my friend
    bmac likes this.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I sat on a buddy's 2015 Tracer today and the footpeg position actually felt more relaxed that I had remembered. I think my main issue with the bike is a non-issue. :1drink
  18. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OEM pegs are too small, but can be replaced with cheap FJR-style pegs for a huge improvement. It looks like the updated Tracer 9 finally has decent footpegs.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  19. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    I really want to like this bike but I just.... this: tracer 900.jpg
    makes me think of this: space balls.jpg
  20. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    It's ok, that color isn't available in NA.:D
    bmac likes this.