2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is on Xmax 300s in the US

[​IMG]
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's kind of how I felt about the ergos of the GSX1250FA that I had. I never could fall in love with the ergos, but covering a few hundred miles in a day was surprisingly easy. I remember the first long ride I took on it. I had a lot of things on my mind, as I had just put Mom into hospice care. After riding for a while, I was surprised when I realized I was over 200 miles into it, and I was still a long ways from home.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Any word on when the launch will be? Looking forward to the reviews.
    PhotoAl likes this.
  4. Miklos86

Miklos86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for its release. Finally a sport-tourer/crossover that isn't too tall or heavy. I was kind of set on a Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX to replace my naked Suzuki GSX-S 1000 for more comfort and touring amenities, but this one seems to tick the same boxes, but lighter, lower seat height and somewhat cheaper.
  5. BeRadTheFish

BeRadTheFish I like motorcycles.

Oddometer:
    Just throwing my name in the 'interested' hat, this is a strong contender on my short list. Looking forward to reviews from sources I trust and hopefully a test-ride.
    cwjb and rhuff like this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't get the weird shaped bags on some of the current GT type bikes. Seems they wouldn't be too good for packing, but without experience, that assumption could be totally wrong. They might work better. Any comments from users about unusual shaped side cases, not talking the big box style, but rather the shaped ones on bikes like the Tracer and other similar ones.

I don't know, but it seems Yamaha has put the right kind of power in both their 700 and 900. Peak horsepower doesn't always dictate best riding power delivery. That seems to be the key I've read over and over in any media reviews of the Yamaha 900 and 700 series powered motorcycles. They nail the right kind of power delivery a opposed to the big numbers.

I have ridden both the FJ-09 and my own XSR700, it's almost like if the engine is running, you're in the good range. I haven't ridden any of the others so I have no real world comparison. I will say with the 700 if you're over 3500 you can pretty much pull strong without a downshift. As drag racers say, "Let 'er eat!"

But really, it's about the fun when the front end lifts several inches when leaving a stop... :clap
    AZbiker and KeithU like this.
  7. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likely for aerodynamics, and then styling.
    Big box top-opening side cases bolted on after the fact are definitely not the most aerodynamic things...

And beyond that, the design parameters are likely only "Capable of fitting a full face helmet (sz small) in one of them....so journalists doing a review will have to say they can fit a full face helmet"
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I own a Ducati and just bought MT-09, and it feels like not being short on power anywhere.
  9. Fudge

Fudge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a very interesting bike and IMHO would make a nice middle weight touring bike. Coming from an R1200R I would miss the shaft drive. Although chain drive isn’t a deal breaker, I would have preferred a belt drive for ease of maintenance. Also, I didn’t see mention of TPMS anywhere; is it offered?
  10. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    It checks many boxes now with IMU controlled semi-active suspension, and electronic suite and cruise and cornering ABS ( must have)

Would definitely put it on the mid size sport touring consideration list with the 950S and F900 XR.

The 950s is by far the nicest of the 3 but at a significant premium.
  11. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2020 Tracer GT and before it a BMW F800GT. They both have shaped side cases. The Tracer side cases are smaller but in real life hold almost as much as the F800GT cases did - I traded bike in the middle of a trip and moved my stuff from one to the other. Big problem with the Tracer is a full face helmet doesn't fit - one does but only in the right side case of the F800GT. In my side cases I pack soft stuff like clothes and rain gear but also running shoes. The odd shapes are ok to work with when using soft and oddly shaped items. My clothes go in an IKEA backpack and with a bit of a push conform nicely. Running shoes are wedged in where space permits. All the hard and bigger stuff goes in a large roll top duffle that goes on the pillion seat. Have been going on 16 to 17 day trips and it has worked well for me. Takes a bit of patience because want sidecases full but not overfull and equal in weight. At the start of the trip usually have a few bottles of coke and water as space permits. For my Tracer GT will be getting the small Yamaha top case for helmet and rain gear storage.

Echoing comments above think Yamaha has hit a sweet spot with the power of the Tracer. Enough to have fun but not too much along with a nice exhaust note that is playful but not too much like a screaming I4.

Attached Files:

liberpolly likes this.
  12. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Looks like this bike has been added to my short list to replace my K7 DL-650. I just missed out on being able to test ride the Tracer GT last year at Americade, but it definitely had my interest. I did manage a test ride on the KTM 790 Adventure S there, and was most impressed. Right now, the KTM 890 Adventure R is at the top of my list, with the T-7 bringing up the rear. I would have loved to have Triumph on my list, but the closest dealer is in the next major city, well over an hour drive away; the feedback from local Triumph riders and former local dealers hasn't been exactly positive. Can't wait until March!
  13. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still interested in this bike and I hope Yamaha has addressed the wind noise issue.

NC
  14. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree - took my 2020 out today and after reading your comment realized I didn't even notice the wind. Running a MRA with a cheap Amazon wing thing up top. Love that triple, enough improvements in the 2021 model to tempt me - I shall be strong and resist :-) at least for a year maybe.
  15. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Luckily, I’m perfectly happy with my ‘19 that the new one doesn’t tempt me, plus I’m not wild about the new look. I’ve done suspension and a bunch of other stuff to mine to where I’ve made it my own.
    That and I just bought my third Tiger 1050 last week with that more glorious Triple.
  16. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's mostly true. I absolutely love the motor on my FJ-09, but when I hit a short passing zone and need to drop 2-3 gears to teleport ahead of the crawling cages I find myself wishing for a little more grunt. Hence the S1000XR has some appeal to me.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    You sure you won't be fishing for 3-4 gears instead? Makes me think of the KLX250 vs the WR250. The 250 has more stuff, but it's up higher. The KLX will pull stronger down low, but the WR will kick its butt when it winds up.
  18. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the S1000XR? I doubt it. The FJ-09 produces about 50 lb-ft of torque in the 3-6k RPM range, and peaks at about 60 lb-ft at 8400rpm. The S1000XR is making 65-70 lb-ft in the 3-6k range and peaks at 80lb-ft at 9100rpm. Based on that I would expect less downshifting when passing on the BMW.
  19. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a ton of seat time on 09 based bikes and first generation XR's. The XR pulls noticeably better in the mid-range that the Yamaha 09 bikes. Once the revs on the XR hit 7,000 it is game over.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't over would be a shock. I'd want my money back if the 900 outperformed the XR1000. I was speculating that with the power output it might require higher revs to get to that power. Not at all an unusual situation, thus the reason for the example of the dual sports.