2022 AFT Season Thread and other Flat Track BS!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, 2021 is in the books. Provisional schedule for 2022 is out. Time to start a new thread to discuss, argue, whine, piss, and moan about all things flat track!

silly season is officially here, so no doubt lots of rumors on rule changes, structural changes, rider changes etc. have at it!
    AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saving this post for the official schedule, line-up of teams/riders/classes and the often ignored link to the AFT rulebook.

2022 Progressive American Flat Track schedule:

1. March 10, 2022 - Volusia Half-Mile I, Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL

2. March 11, 2022 - Volusia Half-Mile II, Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL

3. March 19, 2022 - Texas Half-Mile, Texas Motor Speedway, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX

4. April 23, 2022 - I-70 Half-Mile, I-70 Motorsports Park, Odessa, MO

5. May 28, 2022 - Red Mile I, The Red Mile, Lexington, KY

6. May 29, 2022 - Red Mile II, The Red Mile, Lexington, KY

7. June 11, 2022 - Laconia Short Track, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon, NH

8. June 25, 2022 - Lima Half-Mile, Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH

9. July 2, 2022 - New York Short Track, Weedsport Speedway, Weedsport, NY

10. July 16, 2022 - Port Royal Half-Mile, Port Royal Speedway, Port Royal, PA

11. July 30, 2022 - Peoria TT, Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, IL

12. August 6, 2022 - Black Hills Half-Mile, Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, SD

13. August 13, 2022 - Castle Rock TT, Castle Rock Race Park, Castle Rock, WA

14. August 20, 2022 - Sacramento Mile, Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA

15. September 3, 2022 - Springfield Mile I, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL

16. September 4, 2022 - Springfield Mile II, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL

17. September 24, 2022 - Cedar Lake Short Track, Cedar Lake Speedway & Arena, New Richmond, WI

18. October 15, 2022 - Volusia Half-Mile III, Volusia Speedway Park, Barberville, FL
    KSBUTLER44, villageidiot and Rich B like this.
  3. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Often ignored? More like almost always ignored
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  4. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was trying to start off this thread being nice.

Thats over now.

norton73, Foot dragger and Rich B like this.
  5. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Hey, may as well give it a quick death!

:rofl
    villageidiot likes this.
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Time of year for ice racing is coming up. 49899174_2256501497715677_5753927167729729536_o.jpg
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big question here is……. What will JFB2 be riding, where, how full a schedule, and will he cut his hair into a mullet to gain an edge in speed (proven fact mullets are faster)

Also, what will Rich do with his proddy twin? Will it be jfb2, will it be someone else, or will it be sat upon in the garage making motor noises for eternity.

And, hooligans!!!!! Will the rules tighten up? Will there be a spin off class? Will Royal enfield bring a 400cc class to the table with the Himalayan bikes from slide school, or a spec series based on available parts for the 650 twin?
    AK650 and norton73 like this.
  8. Rich B

Oddometer:
    "What will JFB2 be riding," - Likely Yamaha 450, Sportster, and Kawasaki twin. Maybe I will get him on the Bultaco 350 a couple of times

"where, how full a schedule" - He is telling me he is going to stick with the 2nd tier series and local races. Plenty of those to go to. Cost less to participate, money is not bad at some of the events.

"and will he cut his hair into a mullet to gain an edge in speed (proven fact mullets are faster)" :rofl He needs a hair cut...…

"Also, what will Rich do with his proddy twin?" - Likely JfBII is gonna wheel it around at some point.

"will it be someone else" - depends on if someone wants to step up to the plate. Got some interest, but so far, other than JfBII no one I would be happy with.

"And, hooligans!!!!! Will the rules tighten up?" - Hopefully not.

"Will there be a spin off class?" - I hope so. There are a lot of good smaller twins out there.

"Will Royal enfield bring a 400cc class to the table with the Himalayan bikes from slide school, or a spec series based on available parts for the 650 twin?" - I still think the spec series should be the Himilayans. I really think that has potential as a beginner class. I hope RE sticks with some of what they are doing with the 650 and introducing riders with it and the Himilayan. They are doing MORE than any other OEM for flat track. Hopefully the new parts they are getting makes the factory entry all it can be too.
  9. Rich B

Oddometer:
    First major race of the 2022 season. CTex s Winter Throwdown at Callahan FL

Three day event this year. Thursday practice, race Frida/Saturday. Last year, they only had 397 entries

[​IMG]
    AK650, norton73 and villageidiot like this.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    sounds like JFBII is gonna have a busy year.

i think a spec class of 400's from RE done at say, 6 of the however many rounds....... winner of that series gets a seed into the next years singles class, or maybe proddy twin. something like that.
    AK650 likes this.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, 2022 and I'm still in single digit episodes of Tank Slappin' trying to learn a bit. Actually listening to the early ones and seeing what has happened after the fact is kind of interesting. A lot of good winter listening to go... great insight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why in the world would anyone want a 500 spec series that is slower than the 883 spec series at nationals? May as well put in a PW50 series too. :lol3 What should be done along those lines would be to figure a points system developed with the various promotors of regional races. That is one "back in the day" thing that makes some sense. You never saw Novices running at a Grand National Race. Fact is I don't think you saw Juniors either, but then again there were a lot more pros running then in the twin class. It actually was a sort of "grass roots" system.

The thought might be use a "novice" point deal with AMA sanctioned regionals to get to a "Junior" level or to the AFT Pro level. I honestly have no idea what it takes to enter an AFT 450 singles or Production Twins race. What does it take? How do they know the rider has enough skill to even stay on the track? That seems to be a number one comment on Tank Slappin', the questionability of some of the 450 racers.

To get an AMA Pro MX license:
    AMA Pro-Am Motocross events provide one path to a professional license. To be considered for a professional motocross license, competitors must have earned at least 60 advancement points, at the time of application, in AMA Pro-Am Motocross events during a continuous 18-month period. Points are based on overall finishes in either the 250 Pro-Am or the Open Pro Sport Pro-Am classes. Points from the classes are not combined.

Does AFT require anything similar for the AFT 450 singles class Pro license? I would hope it essentially promotes racing at the regional level. What does it take?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope AFT sees the value in broadcasting the full finals of all three classes to give sponsorship value to the Production Twins. Costs money to race there too. I'd rather see three full finals instead of cut down semis and the final lap of the Production Twins. Put 'em all on TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to having a sound shoulder and the ability to try to get to more races than last summer, got to like five and no nationals. 2022 will definitely hit Lima and a valiant effort to make it to Peoria and/or Springfield. Try harder to hit more regional races too.
    trump2024 likes this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AFT rules section 1.4 covers rider classification and eligibility. Sub-section B covers singles, sub-section C covers production twins.
    https://www.amaproracing.com/competitors/rules/flat-track
  13. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    If JfuckingBII cuts his hair, his new name will be JboringBII.

Don't cut the hair!
    Foot dragger, Scoozi and villageidiot like this.
  14. markk53

Oddometer:
    So, explain it. What do they actually need? Seems the MX is quite clear, but the 2021 flat track rules say:

An AFT Singles License may be issued to eligible riders who have reached the age of 16 years and meet at least one of the following criteria:
    • 1. Riders licensed as AFT Singles riders in the previous season who participated in a minimum of four events.
    • 2. Rider with an Amateur “A” classification that can be verified by the American Motorcyclist Association or one of their recognized Districts.
    • 3. Any previously licensed AFT Twins rider may choose to apply for an AFT Singles license, in lieu of an AFT Twins license.
    So, what Amateur A classification? What does a rider have to do? Apparently any A class MX rider can get a license? Are there classifications in the amateur flat track ranks? Understand, I do not know these things and ask because I am curious and want to know. Might be plain as the nose on my face, but I only see my nose if I look cross eyed. :lol3
    trump2024 likes this.
  15. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best I can google, because I'm not actually involved in racing, is in the AMA Pro racing rules:
    https://americanmotorcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021-AMA-Racing-Rulebook.pdf
    Section 3.1.B
    ==================
    B. Riders and Classifications
    1. Riders are responsible to enter only classes in which they are eligible. See Chapter 4 for the penalty.

2. The AMA does not classify racers for Flat Track, TT, or Ice Race competition at the National level. Racer classification is established at the recognized district level on the basis of participation and achievement in competition. All recognized District Organizations and competition partners are empowered and encouraged to implement a Racer Advancement System.

Rider classification shall be as follows:
    Classification Description
    A The highest classification
    B The classification preceding A
    C The classification preceding B

Additional entry-level classifications based on the amount of rider participation at the district level in any particular district at any meet may establish classifications based on circumstances.
  16. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to see the return to Loudon. Hoping the NHMS opens the camping at the track up again for Bike Week.

The bad news is I'll be on an Alaska trip in June '22 so I'll miss it.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    Actually my question was to see if there was any good system to vet the pro classes. Seems they don't have a good one. So it seems AFT should be looking to regional series event organizers and tracks, like Triangle Motorcycle Club and Western Reserve Motorcycle Club in Ohio, to develop a points system like was done in the old Novice/Junior/Expert to vet riders for skill to put on the track.

The AMA has it for Pro road racing licenses click here . Every license has a new rider requirement of points in classes from accepted racing organizations/events that are actually road racing. That is what I was asking, does AFT have any similar requirement? Seems it would be a good thing, both for working feeders and to have good riders on the track if they required points from regional flat track events for licensing. Maybe it's not needed, but it might help regional events grow if there is a need to go for licensing purposes.
    trump2024 likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I like the idea. It kinda seems like the RE 400 couldnt be less of a flattracker?
    Or does that even matter? Its a slow heavy turd. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The girls wobble around on the big RE's more or less OK. Just as long as no slides happen.
  19. Rich B

Oddometer:
    "Or does that even matter? Its a slow heavy turd. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

The base Himilayan is a bit porky and makes a whopping 25 HP. But it gets accolades on handling well.

I know several people who have ridden the FT411 version in the Slide School. All said the same thing. They thought it was a complete turd at first, then realized how much faster it became as they learned to push it into a corner and use technique instead of horsepower to get around the track quickly. They all found they were faster on their modern bikes after riding the FT411.

That is why I think it would be a good entry level spec. bike to either start flat track on a full size bike, for someone moving up from the small bikes, or someone wanting to ride flat track without the horsepower of the other modern bikes. Not expensive, not a lot of horsepower, and good handling. Just what a beginner, inexperienced rider, or an older rider needs. And I don't think it would be difficult to have a "spec." class set of rules. I just don't think this is an AFT class unless it was like an end of season deal for a support class for the top points riders in the spec. class.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    I get what RB is saying. I think that was kind of the thing in training with XR100s too, learning to do things with the bike, not with the power. If you can push 8 hp into a two wheel drift and slide it like an FTR with the power it has you can do it with about anything.

I do hope the comment about "the girls" was a bit of sarcasm. Otherwise someone might turn some of those women loose to come kick your butt!
    trump2024 and caribryder like this.