2022 AFT Season Thread and other Flat Track BS!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Trackster12

Trackster12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Trackster12

Oddometer:
    AFT licensing requirements are on the AFT site, scroll to the bottom of the page and go to Competition License link.
    Rich B likes this.
  3. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am reasonably certain Sara Dixon would kick butt…..
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have read them and the question still is about how they figure if a rider should get a license. Just not seeing any ties to actual amateur racing experience.

It has that the rider should have A classification. A in what? Is there an A classification in AMA amateur flat track racing? From what I know the only place where I've seen anything about A classification is in AMA motocross. So how does that relate to flat track? Comments I caught on CTex's pod cast says forget everything you knew from MX when going to flat track. So how would an MX A classification come in play? How does it relate to amateur and regional racing? Is there even a tie of any sort between AFT licensing and amateur flat track?

Thing is motocross has it pretty well set. Start in C, win or do very well in a number of them, go to B (or the promoter knows you and knows you are too good for the C class), do well in B class and advance to A class. From there a rider can pick up a Pro license. Just not seeing any pathway like that in flat track.
    trump2024 likes this.
  5. Trackster12

Oddometer:
    District 14 has A & B classes in FT. I would think that other districts around the country have the same. Of course in the end AFT has the final say, they have made that known by allowing some pro MX, RR and SM riders into the mix. I don't know any A FT rider that has been denied a license.
    File an application and they might make it clear,,,
    villageidiot likes this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Now it's making some sense. That was pretty much what I was asking. I've done around a dozen searches and read pages of rules, but this is the first time I've been informed of any actual possible link to amateur for licensing. Thanks.

Edit: Listening to podcasts again. There was some questioning and comments about exactly what I have been wondering - qualifications for the pro license. Maybe it's a bit too vague. But it was a 2020 pod cast at the Covid outbreak, so it was some time back. They mentioned Chris Carr doing a pretty good job of granting licenses in the previous year or so.

I know most here have probably listened to the podcasts, but if not, do so. It's like sitting in a garage bench race session, no matter who is being featured. Some of it makes you laugh, like the hyping of a wrestling match between Mees and Wyles. I'm guessing it still hasn't happened, but it is just plain funny the way they seem to be able to weave it in every show.
    trump2024 likes this.
  7. Rich B

Oddometer:
    I had posted the flyer for the 2022 Winter Throwdown in Callahan FL scheduled for January.

Today it was announced that Yamaha is giving $8.600.00 in contingency money for the event - 450 Pro, Open Pro, 65cc, 85cc, Schoolboy, 250 Am, 450 Am, 40+ & 50+ classes are all eligible for payout.
    AK650, Foot dragger, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  8. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I impressed by these racer/promoters like Cory Texter, Jared Mees, and Rob McLendon. They are all putting on good events and appear to be dedicated to making the sport better. I think Brad Baker and Johnny Lewis have events in the works, too.
    AK650, Foot dragger, bearorso and 2 others like this.
  9. Rich B

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard about Baker but I know Lewis is running a multi day indoor event at the PA Farm Show complex in Harrisburg, PA Thanksgiving weekend. One of the carrots is contract riding a RE in the Hooligans class.

RPM Promotions LLC (Jeff Heirs) is also putting on some good events with some decent money for the riders. His last event in 2021 is at Lima Halloween weekend.
    AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    JfB2 gonna "Hoover" some of that money up?
    AK650, trump2024 and villageidiot like this.
  11. Rich B

Oddometer:
    JfBII will be going after some of the money. Yamaha’s just aren’t that popular for some reason, so gives him an opportunity to chase some contingency cash.
    villageidiot likes this.
  12. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that MotoAmerica has gained back a lot of what was lost in road racing, it'll be of interest to see how many AFT riders go over to roadracing next year.
  13. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't see this happening.

There are maybe three or four seats in MotoAmerica that pay and all are in the MA Superbike class. I doubt anyone is making nearly as much as Jared Mees (even excluding his income from promoting races). Yamaha and Suzuki both outsource their Superbike efforts to private shops/teams so there are no true factory teams in MA and the premier class is utterly dominated by those two teams (now that Baz has gone back to Europe). I enjoy MotoAmerica quite a bit and pay for their streaming service but its a long way from gaining back "a lot of what was lost" in road racing. I'd like to see that happen but its a long way off. There are some decent grids in the lower classes of MA but the talent pool is thin at the front in all classes.

Even with Indian, Yamaha, Honda, KTM and Royal Enfield throwing good money at teams, privateers like Robinson, Halbert, Davis Fisher, Cory Texter, Chad Cose, Dan Bromley, and Morgan Mischler all won against factory, factory-supported, or very well funded teams (like Vanc&Hines) across three classes in AFT. Why spend the astronomical amount of money it costs to go road racing as a privateer (assuming you can find that money)? Especially in the Superbike class where you have no chance to win.

I love what Rainey and Co. have done with MotoAmerica but, IMO, they aren't at the level of AFT and national-level flat track is no longer just a stepping stone to a road racing career in the U.S. That hasn't been the case for a long time. There is just no money in U.S. road racing to lure anyone away. AFT is far from perfect but they have done a really good job luring money into the paddock while maintaining competitive racing for private teams.
    Scoozi, stk0308 and Rich B like this.
  14. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Rispoli announced yesterday he is not riding for Latus next year. No replacement named yet
    DogBoy likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The 450 class continues to develop more top riders that can win,and stronger teams. Short of Moto-3 in roadracing there isnt much like the AFT 450 class for flat out tight racing with a bunch of possible winners. Production Twin seemed to be picking up more entrants as the season went along.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Racing grids are full... that has to say something. Not to mention a direct link between what's on the track and what's in the showroom. Then in 2020 the purse before anything else in the Superbike class, MotoAmerica offers a cash purse of $32,500 paid across the top 20 finishing positions in each race. Not too bad and that's MotoAmerica, not the manufacturers and suppliers contingency money.

Looks like a lot. Do I know it is? Heck no, I don't know what MotoAmerica or AFT pays out, try to do the research, isn't easy for an outsider to find out. They make it look rosy, but it would be interesting to see what the bottom ten riders in MotoAmerica and AFT gross, and net.

Here is a screen shot of the purse per race, is AFT near it?

upload_2021-10-21_15-22-30.png
    trump2024 likes this.
  17. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Go to anything less than AFT that is not vintage and the 450 classes (always seem to be more than 1) are typically packed and a dog fight. The 450 tight racing is not exclusive to AFT. Hell, even the veteran riders (50+) are largely on 450's now and do some damn good racing.

The 450's in flat track are great for the sport. Lots of potential classes, good racing, reality is, they are not typically hugely expensive to race. But the fast ones will be more than a junk yard special converted to flat track.....

And yet, some people continue to whine, bitch, and moan about 450's......
    bearorso, Foot dragger and markk53 like this.
  18. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rispoli is a leading candidate to see in MotoAmerica next season.
    A fifth place in the Daytona 200 paid $10,500 this year, $5000 for tenth place, before any contingency payouts. With MotoA taking over and their revised Supersport rules, the money and the factories interest will both increase.

I won't argue the merits, professional racers race for the money.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    Ya go where the money is when it becomes a living. I just read a bio of Bubba Shobert I had bookmarked, again. He likely would have stayed in flat track but for the "making a living" thing. KR, WR, and others pointed him toward Europe back then. Definitely a shame he had his career destroyed so early.
    trump2024 likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It makes for a lot of fast guys to move into AFT and chase the series.
    Or maybe another series grows and competes with AFT.

And yeah,in a perfect and Oz like world everybody building framers would be cool. But its not happening and stock frame 450's go gawdawful fast.
    The formula works and lots of guys like it. Twins will have to sort themselves out.