2022 AFT Season Thread and other Flat Track BS!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, if it was still all about framers, flat track would not be where it is today. The “DTX” style bike has allowed the growth we have seen recently. And a fair amount of guys and gals have figured out how to make a modern bike go fast on a flat track.

Helping with a modern bike is enjoyable to me. I enjoy the technology and what we can do with it. I am still learning, but it is getting easier all the time. You can do stuff with a modern bike you could never do with a framer.

I still enjoy looking at framers. Hell, I was fondling a restored Astro 45 minutes ago. But their time in the sun has passed. Time has moved on
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like what I see as a fan and it seems a lot of the riders still aspire to the big twins in the end... for now.

In the singles class the framers just seem like extra expense that could be used elsewhere. When you have the quality of the current MX frames and drivelines it seems kind of foolish to throw the chassis away. Kind of wonder if one had a Rotax in it just how it would perform.

I don't see the same possibility for the twins ever becoming a production chassis and it doesn't really make sense to do so since the demands of the street don't match that of racing even remotely near how MX demands clearly are similar since frames aren't snapping and the bikes work so well.

From a fan point of view with a bit of following the racing, it seems somehow flat track needs to align a bit better top to bottom. The AFT needs to somehow get in touch with the regional promotors to create some kind of rider flow and some unity in promotion. The more people who attend the regional races become interested the better cross promoting will benefit all. Ideally the program would be like the various unified levels of NASCAR, but not enough racing to work that way. There needs to be some unity and overlap of purpose.

I just remember how regionals would flank nationals. Charity Newsies weekend had a regional on Friday and Saturday at two different tracks, then the Newsies on Sunday. Maybe I've read things wrong, but it seems the elite Pro class riders have limitations on when they can race outside AFT. Is that true? If so, it seems like there is a detachment that can hurt both promotors and series. Sure there is rider injury risk, seldom did the factory riders run the regionals, but the privateers (like Steve Morehead) did and it was a perfect place to promote the National race that weekend. Ya like this, see even more and better!

But I'm just a fan, so I don't know what is possible. But it would be cool to go to Ashland Saturday and Lima Sunday.
    trump2024 likes this.
  3. Rich B

Oddometer:
    "But it would be cool to go to Ashland Saturday and Lima Sunday"

They are running companion races to Lima

Greenville Friday, Lima Saturday, Greenville on Sunday.
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    Why don't I know that?

This was for the national? I thought there was something about the Pro Twin riders being restricted from the regionals within a certain time of the national. Is that BS or what?

I can see it now, go to Greenville, stay someplace overnight just to not have to ride so late at night, go to Lima and maybe stay there overnight. Sounds like fun.
    trump2024 and newcastlebob like this.
  5. Rich B

Oddometer:
    This was for the National and has been for a number of years. Rob McClendon does the Greenville thing.

The only restriction I am aware of is the AFT restriction about riding the actual track within a certain amount of time prior to an AFT race. AFT actually lifted the restriction for the Nace race at Volusia this year.
    norton73 and villageidiot like this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Oh, and now I learn more... Thanks.
    trump2024 likes this.
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    Lima Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they won't be running until 11 pm again. @Rich B know if JfBJr will be over and any pros planning to come out and ride?
    trump2024 and villageidiot like this.
  8. Rich B

Oddometer:
    JfBII is likely going to be there. I think Turner Racing is bringing the Honda crew. Likely some others will be there.

Weather looks pretty shaky. 70% chance of rain
    villageidiot likes this.
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    they running HOOLIGANS!!!!????
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. Rich B

Oddometer:
    Hell yes they are!

Most of the smart promoters are now making Hooligans a part of their program.
    AK650, villageidiot and Foot dragger like this.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    if they want that back gate money, and front gate money too.
  12. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the early '80's in motocross, there was no "vet" class, they were generally called the Over The Hill class, OTH. Some of the 30+year old entrants thought that was insulting, political correctness isn't anything new.

The year I started MX, 1985, at age 32, the class name was changed to Veteran.
    I predict the hooligan class will soon be renamed something like Showroom Twin, bikes available off the dealers floor.
    ossadmr and Foot dragger like this.
  13. Rich B

Oddometer:
    The name might change….but it seems Hooligan is pretty well accepted in the flat track world and even outside of the flat track world. Most people that are even a little bit interested have heard the term.

Hooligan is even being used in international events using stock based bikes. It is pretty well accepted.

The Super Hooligan season finale is this weekend in I think Huntington Beach. Sounds as tho Johnny Lewis is gonna race a Royal Enfield street bike this weekend.
    AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  14. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Roland Sands SuperHooligan finale was last weekend in Southern California. Royal Enfield had some the Build.Train.Race. competitors there. I'm not sure if Lewis raced. Its a cool event. Wish I could have gone.
    trump2024, stk0308 and Rich B like this.
  15. Rich B

Oddometer:
    I am old, I get confused easily.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!

:rofl
    ossadmr, bearorso and villageidiot like this.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Now if they'd just set up some cones in an oval to race the PW50 class on the front straight. I don't think they'll tear up the track too bad... :-) No idea what the lap time around a half mile is, but it's too long. Put the kids on a mini-bull ring and go.

But that's just my opinion.
    trump2024 and Trackster12 like this.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Jeeze Louize,Im surrounded by kids on here. I was racing MX on my Super Rat in 1973. I was in Jr High though.

Back then we could hit at least 6 different Flattracks within 100 miles of Chico,nor cal. Just Lodi now.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    7 miles from me and i didnt go. too many people/too much a party scene that a motorycle race broke out at.
  19. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You just concentrate on that Kawi twin and whatever else scampers across your shop...or desk.
    trump2024 likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    How old are you? You dont chase kids off the sidewalk in front of your house?