2022 KLR 650 EFI

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by erikhorton, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    The following is a post by @jespo with my reply underneath.

Hi Everyone,
    Picked up a 2022 KLR adventure about a month ago... and just did my 600 mile initial oil change.
    So far I'm very happy with the bike... except for one little fuel injection behavior... and wondering if any new KLR owners are experiencing the same behavior.

FI Behavior Description:
    When cruising while engine is in mid-upper RPM (my guess ~3500 and above.. no tach but familiar with RPM sound from previous gen), then slowly rolling off throttle, the FI cuts fuel and/or ignition to the engine. (Most likely by design to prevent decel pop, cool engine, save fuel, etc... my Indian Scout did the same thing... seems to be new FI norm)
    This 'fuel cut' behavior results in aggressive engine braking. (You can also hear the engine stop firing)
    When slowly rolling the throttle back on, the transition is abrupt, resulting in a jerk/surge. (and you hear the engine firing/running again)
    This is most noticeable when trying to maintain steady 50+ MPH down hill or flat road.
    This 'behavior' does not happen at slower speeds and lower (<~3500) RPM ranges.
    I can clearly hear the engine firing with the throttle closed at lower engine speeds... and the transition from 'closed throttle-to-opening throttle' is super smooth.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting, I test rode a 22 last Saturday and it was doing the exact thing you mentioned, abrupt fuel cuts in the midrange while trying to cruise steadily in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. I loved everything about the bike except that. The dealer let me ride another bike and I could not get that bike to do the same thing. I have money down on one right now and you have me worried. I did notice that on the bike that exhibited these symptoms that the throttle cables had too much play and the play needed to be adjusted out.
    jespo likes this.
  2. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s interesting, I test rode a 22 last Saturday and it was doing the exact thing you mentioned, abrupt fuel cuts in the midrange while trying to cruise steadily in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. I loved everything about the bike except that. The dealer let me ride another bike and I could not get that bike to do the same thing. I have money down on one right now and you have me worried. I did notice that on the bike that exhibited these symptoms that the throttle cables had too much play and the play needed to be adjusted out.[/QUOTE]
    Dealer prep involves installing the throttle. The cables are not fine strand cables. The housing and cables benefit grease and careful assembly on install. The proper adjustment is in the owners manual. Besides that the throttle body probably only has direct single butterfly. I would think the ecm gets "confused" by the quick manifold pressure changes. Its made worse when your use to carb bikes. Be steady with opening and closing the lubed and adjusted throttle and see if the problem still exists. Seen similar issues with harley riders going from accelerator pump carbs to efi on cold mornings. Different systems and techniques.
    jespo likes this.
  3. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The non dirtbike style throttle is my gripe from day one. I made it work but I also claimed over a month ago this part would show itself throughout owners and use.
  4. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the throttle makes noisy clicks and feels detented it needs to be fixed.
  5. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dealer prep involves installing the throttle. The cables are not fine strand cables. The housing and cables benefit grease and careful assembly on install. The proper adjustment is in the owners manual. Besides that the throttle body probably only has direct single butterfly. I would think the ecm gets "confused" by the quick manifold pressure changes. Its made worse when your use to carb bikes. Be steady with opening and closing the lubed and adjusted throttle and see if the problem still exists. Seen similar issues with harley riders going from accelerator pump carbs to efi on cold mornings. Different systems and techniques.[/QUOTE]

Thank you and great call out! I have a few Harley's... Sportster Sport with carb and an 05 Wide Glide with FI.
    The Wide Glide had a similar low speed surge issue and I was able to resolve the issue by adding a DynoJet Commander V, added one fuel point increase at 2% throttle position at 2250 - 2500 RPM. Slow speed cruising is now perfect on that bike... but I digress.

I also thought that the fuel cut issue was caused by sloppy throttle cable adjustment. I adjusted my throttle cables per the instructions in the owners manual and unfortunately it did not resolve the issue.
    As you mentioned, If I REALLY concentrate on slowly modulating from closed-to-open throttle, the surge issue is prevented... hit a bump in this scenario... the surge will happen.
    Good thing these bikes have a cush drive hub.

Maybe a different throttle cam profile might mitigate this issue.
    I also noticed that DynoJet just released a Commander V for the 2022 KLR.
    https://www.dynojet.com/power-comma...CJUUcuuTda7qlUOQUo_Cn5gDVJfS_0ZBoCh28QAvD_BwE

Not sure if I'm ready to go down that road yet... but if I have to... I will.
    The new KLR is such a great bike (and price) out of the gate.
    Lochsa, Tiggleswerth and Dno like this.
  6. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    I didn’t notice any clicking on the bike I rode. I have owned and ridden many fuel injected bikes and haven’t experienced an issue like this. I was trying to cruise at a steady throttle opening and the bike would cut out and suddenly cut back in, very odd.
    jespo and Dno like this.
  7. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This could be two unrelated issues. That almost sounds like a loose battery cable or electric issue. All my fuelies had way smoother throttle housings. I was in the dealer a month ago to do a trade for a tw. I had plenty of time to check the throttles on over 30 bikes including the t7. I also checked the almost 20 bikes of mine. As mentioned by jespo a cam type throttle might be nice. The gen 3 does have a big throttle body. I find the fueling awesome but not the actuation. The carb bikes have a decel circuit I believe also. I can recreate what is reported or eliminate the issue. Good luck on this one. Im sure curious minds want an answer.
    jespo and Tiggleswerth like this.
  8. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Various bikes have got me in the habit of a finger resting on the brake or grabbing the bar end to pretty much lock the throttle or help modulate it. The spring pull is quite stiff on the gen 3.
    jespo likes this.
  9. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    jespo and Dno like this.
  10. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Well cool jespo, it will be interesting to see how you like it. Are you planning on running an aftermarket exhaust?
    Dno and jespo like this.
  12. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Look forward to sharing the results and helping out the KLR community!
    I don't plan on running an aftermarket exhaust. For dirt/adv bikes... those days are over for me. :)
    I'm going to start the test/experiment with just loading the 'stock intake/exhaust' tune.
    If that doesn't resolve the mid RPM/fuel cut issue, I'm going to add '1' value to the fuel table 0% throttle column, 3500 - 8000 RPM rows.
    I should have the Commander V in a few days.
    Keep ya posted!
    Lochsa, Dno and Tiggleswerth like this.
  13. r/l

r/l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jespo,

How do you think this will compare to the 22 cent mod? Bet it costs more!

Just kidding, this will be fun to watch and even more fun for you to do I'm sure. And that will be priceless!
    jespo and Dno like this.
  14. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Analog vs digital is an interesting debate. I like both systems for different reasons.
    jespo likes this.
  15. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. I installed many race tuners on harleys at the dealer. Work orders sometimes got "offroad use" with my intials.
    jespo likes this.
  16. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes we moved the ambient air temp sensor into cooler air away from engine heat. 22 cent mod
    jespo likes this.
  17. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol! I bet/hoping this is exactly the 22 cent mod!
    Dno likes this.
  18. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! I reached out to Booster Plug (a component the gets plugged inline of the air temp sensor which makes the computer think it’s 30 degrees cooler), and they said their module won’t work with modern FI systems.
    I believe the newer FI systems have the air temperature integrated into the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor… making it impossible to separate the temp sensor.
    Dno likes this.
  19. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is also running resistors in series on some of the sensors to lie to the ecm. When resistors are bought in bulk the cost can be a few cents max per piece plus solder. Resistor mod.
    jespo likes this.
  20. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya the resistor mod. Usually the oxygen sensor
    jespo likes this.