2022 KLR 650 EFI

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by erikhorton, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fueling reminds me of a round or flat slide carb tuned for snap. Not nearly forgiving as a well tuned cv carb. Which a well tuned cv carb almost outperforms any efi in my opinion. Wish the best on this for affected riders. I might be tempted by throttle tube mods but thats about it. Also different exhaust alone might have a big affect on this reported experience. Last different fuel grades might help.
    jespo likes this.
  2. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I'll kick the dead horse once more. If anyone opens the throttle housing to grease the cables I would appreciate a report on their experience of the job. This doesn't include mechanic or friend. The owner/inmate giving the report of a thorough investigation. Like machine screws in a plastic body or the bottom screw only engaging 2 threads( maybe I got 2 top screws). I spent some effort on this with less than 10 miles on the bike.
    20210815_083210.jpg
    You can even see grease in the radiused slide. This was intresting to me in concept being inside over 100 throttle housings. Mostly harleys but alot of dirt throttles and streetbikes.
    jespo likes this.
  3. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the bike has a digressive throttle ratio? It shouldn't because that's the opposite of what you want on a dual sport/ADV bike off road. You want a smooth response, light throttle pull, and a bit longer pull so you're not jerking the power back and forth in rough terrain. But nobody has mentioned this in any ride reports that I've read/watched (I think I've watched every single one).

That aftermarket fueling tune can't come soon enough. Coober has an excellent plug in tuner for the KTM 390 ADV (adds power too). I would be very excited to hear how the KLR responds to a similar product.
    Dno likes this.
  4. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fluid dynamics? A slight opening is more than slight in volume. Add some " grabby cables" , cheap housing with many friction points, a leverage and spring ratio that isnt ideal and you end up with user interface complaints. I said this day one and pinpointed the housing as the easy fix. But for me I adjusted and it works great. I think chasing the tune might not yield the results owners wish for.
  5. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outside of that the tps adjustment maybe? But onboard vacuum guage and throttle lock would tell alot. I lock the throttle with my hand when I ride. Fueling in my opinion is great.
  6. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja 400 throttle? Maybe? Never got to ride or sit on the 400. Looks real close.
  7. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Universal fit?
  10. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im tempted to put a piece of "degreed" masking tape on throttle housing with an index line on the grip. Came up with this years ago for onboard real time dynos that were on the bike for more dynamic testing. My bike has a little less than 90° of throttle to the full throttle stop. Interesting that roughly 1° of grip movement is probably equal to 1° of butterfly movement. Or roughly 1°of grip movement to 1.1% of throttle opening.

This would at least give a rough baseline to where cruise is at and the area where a surge might occur. Also what opening I usually accelerate at under normal riding. I bet I never exceed 60% throttle. Years ago I figured someone would have comeout with indexed grips but I guess not.

I also readjusted my throttle with less play and checked for smothness. All seems well. If the weather is nice tomorrow I'll report back.
  11. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was great test. The cables have memory and are stiff and so is the return spring. Cruise is around 25% but that could be decieving in the first 25% because of cable tensioning. So there is range of cable "stretch" that is vague. If the cables are tensioned response is awsome but not so great bouncing in between the tension zone. No fix for me but ride it like i stole works fine. 50% throttle runs through gears nice.
    20211023_112121.jpg
  12. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Play to the beginning of cable tension is set tight 2mm.
  13. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basically another 1mm of cables tensioning before the butterfly moves. If any of this makes sense. Of course all in my opinion/observations. And definitely do what you feel is right and take all my input with a grain of salt. :)
  14. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally found it in a video
  15. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at the dealer today, eyeballing the 2022's pretty good. They had one of every color. I kind of like the orange one best. I was thinking I want ABS, and they had a tan one which is cool too. I like 'em, can I justify having two KLR's in the garage? :hmmmmm
    jespo and Dno like this.
  16. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One klr and one lightweight aircooled traily. TW was my choice for lightweight, short first gear, aircooled, simplicity and mileage.
    jespo likes this.
  17. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tw's are cool, I would buy one if the price is right but it would just be a novelty for me. No trails close to me.
  18. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not just trails tw does well up to 55mph stock or loading in a vehicle. For the TAT it would be a coin toss on these 2. So drastically different in function but both are somewhat flexible. Niether is afraid to haul weight. But klr hauls the weight nice and at faster speeds. Work horses
  19. Lochsa

Lochsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I tightened up the throttle freeplay and did a 30 mile ride. It did seem to behave much better going on and off throttle but will see after I get a few more rides in...........the sky was awesome today.

IMG_7819.jpeg

IMG_7823.jpeg
    jespo, simbaboy, victor441 and 5 others like this.
  20. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics