2022 MotoAmerica No-Spoiler Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 7, 2021.

1. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be no walk in the park. Weaving a loaded GSA between ratted-out old sportbikes with ear-splitting aftermarket exhausts, and spinning late-model Mustangs requires a lot of skill.
    stk0308 likes this.
  2. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    i do wish the XR1200's would have continued. When I actually rode One I was floored. It was actually a really good bike, and when you go back and watch the races by themselves, it was really good racing.
    sgmarshall, stk0308 and MCGMB like this.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really liked that series too. Richie Morris built a few to rent to racers who waned to try the class. I offered to rent one for each of my sons but they declined. They said the XR1200's were too heavy to be any fun. Both were on Supersport bikes at he time. I regret that they didn't at least enter the Indy round during MotoGP. Maybe 2008??
    Big John Sny likes this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kyle Wyman also offered rental XR1200s, around 2012.

Wow, Google says Indy XR races were 2011 to at least 2014. I had forgotten as well.
  5. kenlake

kenlake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was there at Indy in 2013 & saw Jeremy McWilliams & Hafizh Syahrin split wins in the XR1200 series that weekend. They had ebike races that weekend too.
    ridenm and stk0308 like this.
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    From what I recall, the 883 racebikes were rather fragile, especially when trying to get any HP out of them
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  7. Pantah

Oddometer:
    I read the War Horse Ducati team will field a new Panigale V4 in MotoA Superbike plus a 955 V2 in Supersport! The article says they have 'factory' support. I wonder how MotoA will handicap the 955.
  8. Pantah

Oddometer:
    My fave XR1200 race was Indy when Tyler O'Hara won. He needed that win to have enough money to get home to California! Might have been the first Indy XR1200 race. Tyler became my hero after that performance because we knew he had to win from the announcers before his race. Very cool to watch it unfold.
    Big John Sny and stk0308 like this.
  9. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MotoA is moving to the upcoming FIM supersport rules package. Performance indexing, weight requirements, and somewhat complicated modification limitations by bike. Sounds like WERA will not be paralleling them as Sean has said he feel's it's too complicated to police for WERA.
  10. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the variety of bikes and I hope it works, but I fear it'll be a weird mess like IMSA's GT classes, where BMW barges are somehow competitive with actual sportscars.
    stk0308 likes this.
  11. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive ridden some Harleys.

"really good bikes" is a very subjective thing especially about Harley's.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Weren't they pretty limited on what could be done to engines? I dunno,it was a long time ago.
  13. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    in terms of the XR1200, I was comparing it to my Ducati Monster when I thought it was a good bike.
    You should ride one. It measures up as a "bike", not as a "Harley". Not perfect, but neither was my monster. Very similar riding in some ways. The Harley was more comfortable and the Monster had a bit of a performance edge (but not by the margin you would expect). Take that and the very low maintenance on the XR1200, made me really want one, back when I thought all Harleys were trash.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    XR1200 was, more or less, a tarted up Sportster. And was pretty much panned as any kind of performance bike. Harley dropped it pretty quick. Prices are going up on them now I think.

I gotta admit if I had ever bought a Harley it would have been an XR1200. It turns out the 890R I just bought is pretty close to the right bike for me.
    It is a laugh a minute,really fun on road,and very ridable on dirt roads. I laugh walking away from it.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  15. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Just read a rumor about Petrucci possibly taking the warhorse ducati ride. THAT would be sweet!
    wmfleet2 and gulfcoaster like this.
  16. SGrider

SGrider I give up

Oddometer:
    I thought he was going to race Dakar with KTM? It would be cool if he did come over.
  17. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    He could easily race that and still do Moto America. I think having international flavor in our series can only help our young guys. Plus, Petrucci is a simply a really nice guy. Be a great addition to the paddock.
    wrk2surf likes this.
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Herrin had a great tik tok out over the weekend..
  19. mminob

mminob MotoHolic Supporter

Oddometer:
    New title sponsor for MotoAmerica in 2022, Carparts4less.com and hope it works out... I had no luck ordering parts on this website ? Last year Honos was strange as they were just t-shirts and stuff... I guess it is a work in progress ? The series sponsor should have a quality website so fans could support this great American race series !

https://www.cyclenews.com/2021/11/a...f-the-2022-and-2023-motoamerica-championship/
  20. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Looks like two fledging companies trying to make gains. One needs money and the other needs customers. Hopefully it works out for awhile.