2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Would make a great track bike for people with average skill and waning abilities (like me)
  3. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone who remembers the original R7, if they produce/release a parallel twin "sportbike" with the designation of "YZF R7", it will be a travesty of the highest order, and whichever (marketing) executive(s) made the decision to call it that should be fired.
    LongW, JHof44, solitary1 and 11 others like this.
  4. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been waiting for this bike ever since I bought my FZ-07.

Savings account is gonna take a hit on this one.
  5. baekdongmul

baekdongmul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had such a visceral reaction to that as well. I'm no Yamaha fanboi but YZF R7 belongs to an unobtanium race replica, not a cute runabout with SV650s overtones
    T-34, Vectored2adv, busa1300 and 2 others like this.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may qualify as something of a fanboi, having previously owned an '87 FZR750R and now a '97 YZF750R. Personally, I'm fine with it IF this new R7 has high quality components and is a focused sportbike ala the R6 and R1. I'm intrigued.
    AwDang, baekdongmul and Chillis like this.
  7. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd consider buying one, if they get rid of that stupid Yamaha front treatment. Christ, their bikes are ugly these days. This was a good lookin' motorcycle...

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.27.43 AM.png
  8. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Looks like a neat bike, but won't this probably be a competitor to the Ninja 650 and such bikes instead of a cutting edge crotch rocket? I mean you have the 600 series bikes if you want killer performance and handling. I'm betting this will be a more affordable, more civilized bike in the crotch rocket style, but without the true, hardcore sport bike requirements. But that's just speculation on my part. The MT-07 engine lends itself to a wide variety of applications.
  9. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not anymore! Yamaha cut the R6. I think the other 3 Japanese builders still have theirs. Kawi updated the ZX6r for 2019, but it wasn't much, and there's a new CBR600RR, but it's Japan only and probably only for 2 years. Suzuki is, well, Suzuki.

WSBK/Dorna are already looking at replacements for the racing class, like the Panigale 959 and Daytona 765. IIRC they're testing those options in BSBK this season.

Don't know what any of that means for this R7 or whatever it gets called, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if you're exactly right though.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I owned an 87 FZR750RT myself (along with an FZR 600 and raced two different FZR400's) and find the R7 designation to be a farce. The R7 sits with the TZ750 at the top of Yamaha's famed customer race bikes that anyone with money could buy. This new entry is a kiddie bike by comparison.

bikes 2009.jpg
  11. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own an MT-07.
    this sportbike version would be a hoot to ride!
    AwDang and Big John Sny like this.
  12. proeliator

proeliator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool, heres hoping for adjustable factory USD forks.
  13. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha people go easy on me here, I love Yamahas too (I have one) , but If I remember correctly the original R7 was a mega-expensive homologation bike that had mediocre, at best, performance unless you spent like another 10 or 12 grand on a race kit. Even then it never won a championship.
    It looks like this new R7 will maybe compete with the 660 Aprilia and Honda CBR650R type of bikes.
    merc16 likes this.
  14. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct. But it was rare and mega expensive, that's what really matters.

I hope it's more an an Aprilia 660/Triumph 765 competitor rather than a SV650 or Ninja 650 competitor, but we'll see.
    merc16 and DirtyRoadie like this.
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to let you all know (that might not), people have been racing the FZ07's for years and word is they are a blast. I haven't had the pleasure yet but would love to. Just please don't call the new bike an R7 dammit!

FZ07R Sale Image 04.jpg
  16. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    HOW DARE YOU, SIR!!! HOW DARE YOU!

#Nitro Nori, #Samurai of Slide, #41 Forever, #Haga was robbed.

:lol3

(and I'm only half kidding--and I'm not even a "Yamaha guy". :-))

Seriously, I'm sure this new twin will be a great bike; just don't call it "R7"--seriously.
  17. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, how could I forget about the, always fun to watch, Haga.
  18. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could Yamaha have realised that most people don't want a race bike, just a road bike with friendly road manners? It might be a sport bike but it might also be a 'road' sport bike with some low down torque instead of a peaky race bike?
  19. redlabelmoto

redlabelmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an R7 OW-02 new from Beaverton Honda/Yamaha in ‘99. Someone with a race license had to order it so an OMRRA racer/buddy did it for me. It had leaky Ohlins forks right out of the crate. I ordered every race kit gizmo you could get. The race kit manual said things like “insert the pipe with the prastic brawn hammer”.

I put 1000 glorious street miles on the bike before the crankshaft bearings failed. Yamaha warrantied it. A local Seattle collector bought it and I later got it back. Then the guy at Superbike Planet bought it and I believe still has it.

An R7 is an exquisite, sublime machine. It never won a championship. It had middling results. So what? It is next level exotica from the end of a glorious era. There is nothing like it.

This Yamaha 700 twin looks like a fine sportbike. I hope they don’t sully the name.
  20. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I've been thinking they should release a sport bike with this motor ever since the FZ-07 came out. The 650 Ninja needs some competition.
    rideforzen and Ginger Beard like this.