2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. baekdongmul

baekdongmul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FZR700 would be appropriate. Anyway, glad more road-friendly sporty bikes are coming back. This and the baby Tuono are like a modern TRX850
  2. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
  3. Rick4003

Rick4003 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it is a fine looking bike and I have been thinking that a race looking mt-07 would be a good match for the missus, she loves the race looks but the R3 is a bit lame and the bigger ones are just not suitable for every day riding.
    I believe it will be a great road bike with some extra bottom end power compared to the full blown 600RR's. Not saying it is a lady bike, but way more suitable for a 50kg woman who is a fairly skilled rider than a R6 / R1 or something.

And so what if they call it the R7, it fits the current naming convention.
  4. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    TRX700. Yamacati anyone? They built one. Of course, like all nice things, we did not get it in the states.

Yamaha-TRX850-720x375.jpg

Build a nice aluminum frame, with the engine as a stressed member to save weight, slap some clip-ons and an R6 swingarm on it, and stick this motor in it. Use the rest of the XSR700 running gear. It would be a great bike! I'd totally think about buying one, if the price was decent.
    TenereTom, Scoozi, Oilhed and 2 others like this.
  5. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading your first two paragraphs I wasn't sure your 3rd wasn't subtle sarcasm!
    Chillis and redlabelmoto like this.
  6. redlabelmoto

redlabelmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol. That’s funny.

Seriously though an R7 is a piece of jewelery. It didn’t matter if it was $30k plus over 20 years ago and broke almost immediately. In stock form an R6 annihilated it.

None of that matters. Special, special machine that is worth the price of admission and everything that entails.
  7. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad the Yamaha fans have a sense of humor. Years ago I had a KTM 990 ADV. The first oil change I did myself took something like 3.5 hours, and I'm not a bad wrench. It's just a PIA on that bike. Well I had the nerve to go on a KTM forum and seek advice on how to make it easier while maybe complaining a bit about the fact that you have to take one of the gas tanks off to do the job. I got lambasted by the drinkers of the orange kool aid and reminded that the bike was an engineering marvel honed to near perfection and that any opinion that differed was quite simply wrong.
  8. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe Yamaha should call it an Rx-7 :-). Not to be confused with Mazda's sporty 4 wheeled conveyance, but somehow more appropriate to share that name than with the original R7.:evil
    redlabelmoto likes this.
  9. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But that's just it, the R7 was released in 1999 and fit the naming convention of the R1 and the R6. With that said, so long as it is a very good bike that is fun to ride in the real world, I really don't care what they call it.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    It won't compete with the Ape 660; not unless Yamaha does some serious shit to the engine, because the CP twin in the 07 has about a 30hp deficit to the Aprilias. And if Yamaha puts in the same level of tech and quality suspension as the Aprilia, it's going to be another questionably expensive Yamaha that nobody will buy.

This is another Ninja 650 (with admittedly a better engine). I like the MT07 just fine, and I'm just not sure we need a faired version of it.
  11. fore

fore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder why Yamaha never did this from the start of MT/FZ-07 production, it would have been pretty well timed alternative to the Suzuki SV650 n/s.

They could have just thrown the 1/2 fairing from the Tracer on there, both the first and second gen Tracer fairings would look pretty sporty on the MT without the handguards and a less tour-y screen.
  12. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    I think the right sport bike could be a great all around street bike. They come the closest to perfect wind/weather protection possible, imo. Enough to protect most of you, especially if you make yourself small when it's cold and/or raining, but not so big as to obstruct your view, or to be too hot in summer. They also have a better chance of keeping your head in clean air due to the screens being closer to horizontal than on some other types of bikes. But, if it comes with low bars, the practicality gets lost. So, if this Yamaha comes with anything close to R6 ergos, they can keep it. But, if it's more like the Ninja 650, I'm very interested. Why don't I just buy the Kawasaki? Two reasons: 1) Kawasaki styling (including colors, finish, etc.); and, 2) The engine lacks the great "character", vibes, and sounds that the MT-07 has so much of. Please, Yamaha, make this something that can be used as a light sport tourer.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  13. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    The Tracer 700 sells very well in Europe ? Yamaha must be making thousands of the MT07 motors... Nice engine... Euro 5 emissions ready now too :-)

6PXJSEGSNJSMCRMOZO7BELG3VY.jpg
    TenereTom, pazzo, Soulbreeze and 4 others like this.
  14. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    They.need to.do a retro.version of the trx with this motor as well
    Oilhed, SGrider, jimroid and 3 others like this.
  15. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Just like prior R7 owners don’t want their cherished memories of the marque tarnished by an unworthy successor, I think I can speak for all FZ-07 owners when I say that no bike would be worthy of claiming FZ-07 lineage unless it has absolutely the most budget suspension available.
    It has to be bad on both front and rear, ideally for different reasons, and obviously adjustability is out of the question.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fact is a lot of FZ-07 riders do track days and modify them to be some serious racers, which the FZ is in the MotoAmerica twins class.

I don't see the issue with R7, since it seems kind of generic to me. Yamaha used R3, R6, and R1 for street bikes. Now the real designation for the racer was OW-02, which clearly all of you already know. That is cool. Like Honda's RC-30, RC-45, and RC-51. Those are what really matter. R7, in my thinking, is for those who don't know what an OW-02 is and possibly could care less.
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the bike I’ve been wanting from that engine for a while. Slightly sporty ergos, friendly and usable engine. Maybe do a slight suspension upgrade from the MT07, and slot it ~$1000 above please.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  18. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    New THUNDERCAT?! I hope so.
  19. proeliator

proeliator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd buy one in this trim... Screenshot_20210315-135929_Instagram.jpg
  20. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer: