2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    This may be against the grain, not sure. I am not a fan, at all. The MT-07 that this is based on is way down on power compared to the bike it (sort of) replaces.

They cut the YZF-R6 due to emissions (Euro 5) and it is currently (MY2021) only available as a race version (no signals, etc.) and only in Europe. As a person that was considering an R6, I'm left without a good (competitive) track/track day bike option. An MT-07 dressed up as a sport bike is not a sport bike; not a YZF-R7. It is certainly going to be a fun bike, but not a competitive track day/race bike. This has also pushed up prices on the R6.

Just my opinion, but the R6 is currently the best bike for a weekend racer, and it got the axe with the (possible) replacement as no replacement at all. :cry

ETA: if they don't bring back the R6, muy pronto, I'm probably going to head-explody.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MT-07, done up with race fairings, is already a class leading Twins bike. The 600cc I4 class is pretty much dead at all the manufacturers.

I doubt the segment who remembers that old YZF-R7 is the growth market Yamaha cares about.
  3. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh same shit new fairing
  4. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    The MT-07 is a different, slower "class", for the sanctioning body where I would race.

ETA: Ok, you're right. I'm just holding onto a dream.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fact is Yamaha would sell a butt load of a YZF-07 if they do it like the other 700 series bikes - affordable. The new Aprilia 660 is eleven freaking grand. Come in with a sport model 07 for under $10,000 and it will sell. After all, that's what it's about for Yamaha and the dealers. After all, the FZ was top seller for a while there and the whole 700 series seems to sell well... except maybe the XSR (of which I have one and love it). So with the kind of success they are seeing, why not?

As for the 600s, I don't understand what the heck happened to the 600 super sport class. It was the greatest races since initiated in the late 80s usually with some close racing.
  6. proeliator

proeliator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really want to see a basic fz07 with a fairing....AND a model with adjustable suspension, better brakes, and hp/torque increases. Cater to both markets, oh and a WR450R. Haha.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  7. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed on both counts. I had to check to see that *I* didn't write this post. :lol3

Particularly WR450R. As good as the 250 was, a 450 version would be THAT much better. And I know the CRF450L exists, but that follows a different philosophy than WR-R.
    Wallachian Spikes and proeliator like this.
  8. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but for what you get with the 660, $11k USD isn't bad at all. Yamaha could, if they wanted, make an -07 that could compete, but they have the MT-09 in that price band. Toss a fairing on that and you're good to go. Especially the newest model, it has all the same goodies as the Aprilia. Geometry might be off, but so is the MT-07.

Based on that, I don't see them making a real MT-07 based supersport type bike unless a twins racing class takes off on the world stage. As it, BSB is testing a Panigale 959 (IIRC, the smaller one) and a Triumph Daytona as potential replacements for the current supersport class. The MT-09 has been made racier, and if those tests bear out, I think we'll see the MT-09 as the new base for a supersport.

A faired MT-07 will be a nice sportbike, a good track day bike, but I doubt it ever gets gussied up like lower power R6.
  9. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    The 600cc super sport bikes didn't meet Euro5 emissions standards, which has sort of become the world standard, so the manufacturers have dropped those bikes.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    I believe the R6 is still available from Yamaha for racing only. I believe that was mentioned in one of the articles about the 700s. I was actually talking about the past few years. Used to be the 600 Supersport was incredible and the talk of racing for the fans, but it kind of fell off several years back. Long before the emissions thing.

Your opening statement says a lot... "Yeah, but for what you get with the 660, $11k USD isn't bad at all." If one can afford to spend another $3000-4000 over what a YFZ-07 might come in at.

When it comes to the Aprilia, it has been pointed out that it isn't as robust in the mid range like the Yamaha, a place where a lot of street bikes spend a lot of time. It comes on hard when it comes on, but the punch in the middle goes to the Yamaha. Of course as you point out, Yamaha could make a higher performing engine without a lot more expense, but if they're able to sell a butt load of them at a lower cost, far better than selling even 25% less if pushed up a few grand.

There are a lot of electronics on the Aprilia, not present and not really needed on the Yamaha. That's kind of what makes the Yamaha a good choice, they kept things pretty simple, leaving enough margin a rider could put on a top line shock and fork cartridge kit yet still be under ten. Like buying a Corvette over a Ferrari. The Vette may not be as "cool" or may not match the Ferrari in performance, but it is pretty darn good. That's kind of what a YZF700 would be in comparison to the RS660. Spring for some good suspension modifications and some tuning and still be in good financial shape. The poor man's "RS660". Same thing happened years ago with the Honda Superhawk vs the Ducati. Sure the Ducati was better, but the Superhawk was actually a better street ride while handling very well.

It's all in which market is being targeted. I'm thinking Aprilia didn't want to go heads up with Yamaha in the price range, so they went high line. I doubt Yamaha will go against Aprilia, because they have a good market in the mid-line. They will both go where they can make the money.

As for racing, who knows what might happen. With more companies making twins they might just end up with a top level racing class, after all, what will take the place of the 600s if they all go down the tubes.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  11. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    It's only available in Europe, as a race-only bike, and it was due to emissions, not falling sales otherwise.

"It appears as though Yamaha brass didn’t see it worthwhile to update and/or upgrade the Euro4 R6 in order to meet the more stringent Euro5 requirements."

"Such a move is not entirely new, as Honda went through a similar phase already, discontinuing the CBR600RR for much of the world circa 2017 (although remaining stock is still being sold in North America) primarily due to emissions regulations. " -https://www.motorcycle.com/features/yamaha-is-discontinuing-the-r6-and-vmax-after-2020.html

"It’s a sad and rather quiet departure for the machine regarded by any a tester (myself included) as one of the finest Yamaha’s ever created, but its demise comes as a result of strict Euro 5 emissions regulations and with Europe now no longer selling the model, Yamaha in Japan can’t justify selling the R6 in North America." -https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/11/article/yamaha-yzf-r6-discontinued-after-2020/

ETA: not that it really matters. Oh, and I added the emphasis.
  12. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might be a great bike for those looking for mid range power and reasonable handling.
    But calling it an R7 is like someone putting a HEMI emblem on their Neon....
    acesandeights likes this.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you feel the same way about the R3? Talk about badges on neons :p
    acesandeights likes this.
  14. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    It’s called the Tracer 700, and it’s available overseas.
    Vrode and Chillis like this.
  15. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4D1F51BA-8F08-4D33-BA9B-C1BEA3BB17B9.jpeg 423017D9-AFB9-4E3D-BA22-325D20EC8E2B.png E8092D52-EF29-496A-82CB-13B1FF48CAFF.jpeg

Don’t bury the 600’s just yet, at least not in the U.S. Not bleeding edge but still very effective machinery.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember when Kawi would just take the last Generation 600 supersport and rebadge it a ZZR600 as a better Sportbike for the street. Man I wanted one.
  17. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Honda and Yamaha did the same thing.
    The top-of-the-line Honda CBR600F4i race bike became the “street-friendly 600cc option” when the CBR600RR came out in 2003.

Exact same with Yamaha - the 03/04 R6 was reincarnated and called the “R6S” when the heavily-revised“regular” R6 was released in 2006.

Apparently releasing a new racebike with wayyy more aggressive ergonomics and a 17k redline turns the outgoing model into a comfortable and practical sport-tourer. :dunno
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    Not if the engine in it was a relatively good performing hemi head four banger. :D

To listen to you guys one would think the Yamaha 700 is a freaking moped engine! :lol3

Plus what would be to stop Yamaha from juicing up the MT engine? Everyone's gaga over the RS660, why not a full faired juiced up 700 twin? Everything doesn't have to be a four. Seems Ducati and Aprilia did quite well for a long time using a V-twin, didn't they? No doubt part of the reason for the new Aprilia's parallel twin is the lower manufacturing costs, to keep prices lower.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love racing Yamaha's more than any motorcycle, and I'll miss the R6. But head over to the WERA forum if you're looking for a track /race R6. They haven't changed in years, are a dime a dozen and already safety wired, etc.
    hypersports likes this.
  20. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I checked the bikes for sale forum over there and nary an R6, but I'll keep looking.