2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. bmxr

bmxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As someone who has ridden plenty of cutting edge sport bikes but cut my teeth on Hawk GTs and SVs, this looks to be a really great street bike. No, it is probably not going to be MotoAmerica race ready out of the box, but you do not have to buy a race bike in order to have an incredibly effective sport bike for the street. The powerplant works really well in every platform it's been released in, under 100mph. I cannot wait to ride an "R7" and anticipate selling my T7 once I can get my hands on one...
    cblais19 likes this.
  2. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    THAT bike looks fucking awesome! :drif
    Chillis and rd400racer like this.
  3. Year1911

Year1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna have to say goodbye to my 2017 FZ-07 when this bike gets released.

The main reason I still have my FZ is that I plan on putting it towards a brand new R7. In the meantime, I will keep riding it. Gotta have at least 3 bikes in the stable.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    That thing looked like smashed assholes.
    The twin headlight FZR1000's looked much better.
  5. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    Was that the 750 that had the secondary injectors disabled?
  6. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    Yamaha disabled the secondary injectors on the R7's.
    There were mods that would put the ECU into race mode or like you said you could buy the race kit (or the ECU).

I remember reading an on-line article about the R7 a few years back, with the secondary injectors activated and a slip-on the bike put out 130 RWHP.
  7. hombacher

hombacher Niederrheiner

Oddometer:
    Tja, this is the question, did we here little CP2 at the end of the video? Anybody knows when an answer can be expected?
  8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    When is the real news coming out?
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Interesting video. With the exception of the single man who looks like he's in his 30s, all those people are very young. A couple of those young men look like they are barely out of high school. Maybe Yamaha see's this bike as a stepping stone for young racers, affordable twins cup platform? Regardless I'm very interested.

Fantasy time: It would be extremely cool if Yamaha (or any manufacturer) built an affordable track-only bike. No lights, mirrors, signals, EPA equipment... but fully adjustable suspension, excellent brakes, rear-sets, track ready tires. Also offer a line of performance upgrades, crash protection, easily replaceable bodywork, etc to make the bike suit the skill level and intent of the rider. Think MX bike like YZ or KX but for the asphalt. It'd be a great platform for track-day riders or club racers. Won't happen, sportbikes are losing popularity, but one can daydream.

T-34, Dave.0 and Chillis like this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s what the YZF R6 is now in Europe basically. There’s also plenty of vendors who will do that for you, the Ninja 400 is a really popular platform. I think fully WERA race ready you can get one ~$10k?
  12. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did until two strokes were killed off
    TZ125 / TZ250

[​IMG]
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Tarmac Kid likes this.
  14. proeliator

proeliator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaked photos!!! It looks promising.
    Screenshot_20210514-084921_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210514-084904_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210514-084952_Facebook.jpg
  15. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about a new track bike. I was sort of set on a Panigale V2 but if I am honest with myself, my 701 supermoto is more than fast enough to have fun and I probably don't have the skills to get the most out of a V2. This one may be the ticket.
  16. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive had the 701SM and the fz-07 that this r7 is based on. hands down the 701 would spank the R7. lighter,more power plus doesn't need any suspension part replacements. I got a shock for the fz07 and redid the fork internals and the front end was still GARBage. The forks on the photos above look like the nice upgrades, hopefully the internals are nice. I also had a triumph street triple and it was lightyears above the fz07 motor and suspension wise. The downside is when new, the street triple and 701sm cost a LOT more up front but you already have the 701. But I got my 2014 street for the same price that used sv650s and fz07s were going for so dunno what the right answer is but this bike is still not on my radar lbs for lbs.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But some of us want a sweet, Uber reliable motor in a light chassis that actually doesn’t have loads of power. This looks to maybe be the ticket, especially if it has a serviceable suspension out of the box like the new 09.
  18. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That makes lots of sense.

Having spent a little time doing track days, and sampling a variety of sportbikes up to liter class, I can undoubtedly say the most fun I had was on either FZR400 or R6. So going smaller/less powerful like this R7 can definitely be more enjoyable. Should I go back to the track, something like an R7 or suspension reworked SV650 would be high on the list.
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They'll probably sell the snot out of them, looking that cool. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Aprilia 660. I know the Aprilia will stomp it, but the comparison is what it is about. Just how close is it in what areas. It's like comparing the T700 to the KTM, sure the KTM comes out ahead, but in the comparison clearly there are a lot of riders who see the T700 as the best choice for them. Not everyone wants or can afford cutting edge.
  20. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I see inverted forks and radial mount calipers. Those two things themselves should be a big upgrade to the current MT-07. It's hard to see but the shape of that brake lever and the piss cup reservoir makes me think it has a radial master cylinder too, another upgrade.

proeliator likes this.