2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I wonder if since Yamaha is upspecing this bike over the MT07 they will tranision it to TBW to allow for ride modes, etc... I don't particularly care about modes but, trickling the TBW down to the other CP2 bikes could mean cruise control becomes an option on the T7 at some point.
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everyone wants complexity.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet it at most has some mild tweaks to the internals like the T700 got to massage the curves.
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Slim, I'd say. I predict Yamaha will make a big deal about tweaking the ignition and valve timing to move peak power around and make the engine feel "longer-legged" but without really changing much. Maybe "a 5 percent decrease in rotating inertia" by shaving a couple of grams off the crankshaft or something.
  5. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock MT-07 engine would be sweet in a sporty looking bike that has ergos you can actually ride all day!

I'd trade my MT-07 for that!
    LuvPop likes this.
  6. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool bike, but I think for the US at this time the Tracer 700 would sell better. I don't see many people buying R6s or 600RRs or this in twin format competing power wise to those bikes.

I might be more interested if it had some risers instead of full on clip ons. Swing and a miss for me.
    LuvPop likes this.
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  8. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of what the RZ350 was when it was introduced to the USA. A good starter bike for guys who want to go to the track.
    The RZ was a cheap buy in though to get started....doubt this new Yamaha has the same fun per $ value.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Whoops! I'm late to the party. :lol3
  10. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike, my next ride. I'm 53 years old and currently reliving my 90's, all I want are sport bikes these days. It'll be easy to trade my FZ-07 in on this bike, same heart and soul but in a more appealing chassis.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  12. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where? Looks like a light to me.

Attached Files:

13. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where is Honda? The 2021 old school cbr600rr is still a great track tool that would put the smack down on that R7.

C1B069DD-F506-45E9-B91E-56B959C9114E.jpeg
    T-34, busa1300 and pazzo like this.
  14. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    they still insist on a fake air intake to match the r6 r1 looks... :fitz they did the same with the new r3 bodywork... why do they keep doing that? it's dumb :fpalm
    Chillis likes this.
  15. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some like to thump along, some like to scream.
  16. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Disclaimer: I'm a long time Yamaha fan, and owner of a YZF750R, had a couple of older R6's too.

Soo... I'm looking for a new trackbike for the next year, I'm selling the S1000RR. First came the RS660 as a possible new bike, and now this R7.

I try to gather some points, which are important for me.

Suspension:
    For me a new set of Öhlins suspension is a no-brainer for any trackbike. Most racers I know changed their susp. parts to Öhlins, sooner or later. If you don't need the Öhlins anymore, you can sell it later for good money. So I would add it to the price of both bikes. Complete shock unit for the rear, cartridge for the front. That's similar amount of money for either bikes.

Brakes:
    ABS will be ditched on most trackbikes, however the RS660 has high quality corner/race ABS (AFAIK), the R7 won't have anything like this. Maybe it worth to keep the ABS on the RS660. Brembos on the RS660 are good, but these monoblock Yamaha calipers are long time favourites of trackday racers also.

Engine:
    The CP2 engine is the reliability king, I heard of some RS660 engines are already toast, despite it's a couple months old bike. But the RS660 is much stronger. I seriously doubt that Yamaha will put a different engine in the R7 than the MT07. They have this EURO5 compliant unit, and it's big money to add 10-20 HP, keep reliability and EURO5 compatibility in stock form. The only chance for the R7 is it's a budget friendly bike like the R3, and maybe the parts suppliers will offer some budget upgrades (camshafts, complete exhausts), however while the R3 is a WorldSSP300 contender and popular rookie class racebike, the R7 race conversion will be interesting for much fewer people. The cost is king: if you have to spend big money to reach 90 crank HP, then noboby will do it, while you can buy 100 horses with stock exhaust, air filter and 1 year warranty from Ape.

Frame and swingarm:
    Aluminum alloy vs steel. Modern steel frames are getting better, but R7 is a budget bike, so no exotic construction here. Maybe an alloy swingarm could be fitted from a later modell R6, but looking at the rear shock position, it's doubtful.

Electronics:
    The RS660 has literbike-level, modern electronics package with color TFT dash, throttle-by-wire with quickshifter-blipper and ride modes, traction control, everything. The R7 won't have anything similar, and while these aren't sctrictly necessary, the quickshifter-blipper and launch control are my favourite gadgets, and really helps an amateur, like me.

The official R7 reveal in 2 days will clear some doubts, I hope. I really want an R7, but I'm afraid we should spend a lot of money to compete with the RS660, and then maybe it's easier (and more cost effective) to buy the Ape, which has huge aftermarket already. The question is will the Ape be a timebomb, or not.
  17. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    It doesn't make sense for Yamaha to focus the R-7 on the Aprilia, which would require serious R&D when it's going to bleed Ninja 650 sales just by slapping plastics on the MT-07. They actually put some effort into the R-7 (rather than slap plastics on the MT) & put an upside down fork on it. hopefully they upgraded the shock too & gave us something that all but, hard core racers won't need to change on day one. The T-7 has budget suspension but, many owners are reporting that it's adjustable enough to not need replaced for average riders. This is all the R-7 needs to be a huge success sales wise & put the most $$$ in Corporate Yamaha's pockets.
  18. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be interesting. From a manufacturing side, I can see why the R6 is being axed and the R7 filling that void, as it leverages an existing motor/chassis from the MT07 and possibly some other higher spec components (brakes for example) from the R6.

The melding of the 2 makes perfect sense to simplify product offerings across the super sport product line. It's the execution of the performance of the new bike that will be really interesting. If it comes in under 10k unlike the other middle weights, it's be a hit even if it doesn't perform as well.

The low clip ons are a concern that this might be a miss for a broader market appeal (those cross shopping wi the Ninja 650 or CBR650R).
    T-34 and oldoval like this.
  19. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Guessing is fun, so I'm going to guess Yamaha only adds $800 max to the price of the existing MT-07 for this new R7. I also guess this bike is going to be a huge hit for Yamaha. This bike isn't meant to appeal to Aprilia shoppers, this is meant for those folks already taking MT-07s and bolting on R6 front ends. Or those spending thousands on an SV650 or Ninja 650 to make them into decent track day or club racers. Yamaha is doing some of the work for you for a fraction of what it takes to make the budget twins work well.

I find this bike more exciting than just about anything that has surfaced this year. Any manufacturer can make a great bike if they throw the budget out the window, it's what a manufacturer can do with pennies that I find most interesting.

Anyway, all conjecture, we'll see shortly.

20. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    While we wait....

I saw this very clean YZF750 in Suches a few years ago.

[​IMG]
    sodapop, dtysdalx2, TonyKZ1 and 7 others like this.