2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Parallel Twin Sportbike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chillis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem as a younger dude, my tastes were more mature than I was. I had a friend that I started riding with in high school. He had a taste for sporty bikes like myself. The difference was that his parents owned a little cottage on some island down in the Gulf that was mostly populated with golf carts. They'd insure his bikes through the same bedroom insurance company that was insuring their golf cart for relative pennies. Before we were really "adults" in the eyes of most insurance companies, he'd already owned a GSXR, TLR, CBR, and an RC51. Though I see insurance companies point.... he crashed the TLR and the RC51.

T-34 and Chillis like this.
  2. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The YZF750 makes the new R7 look like a little toy....let alone the OW-02 R7
    I had a YZF for a short while...got it running then sold, as I have a strict policy to only keep 1000cc and up 4 strokes in the garage.
    It was a beautifully built bike....but was beaten and left for dead.
    Paid $600 for it back in 2014, sold a year later after giving up the plan of putting a FZR1000 engine in it.

IMG_4889.JPG
    hypersports likes this.
  3. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    You'll get no argument from me there. I think the days of the Japanese manufacturers building a serious middle weight sport bike are over though. The atmosphere that existed where those bikes could be produced and sold seems like ages ago. I think the 600s closed some of the gap in tech and price to the liter bikes as well, making the middle weights somewhat redundant even if they were probably the Goldilocks bikes for most. It's crazy to think that the last R6 cost $12,200. That's a lot of money for a class many of us used to consider "beginner bikes".

4. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not only did the 600s close the gap to the 750s, but when the liter bikes started to hit the 400lb dry/wet weight that was the last nail for the Japanese 750 bikes.
    A 1992 CBR900RR was the reason I swung a knee over a 600 super sport for the last time,.

I'd do a Tracer 700 in a heart beat. Had the 2016 FJ09 and kinda wish I still had it.
    I do like the looks of the R7.
  5. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Electronics too. The way they can tame big horsepower is pretty amazing. Electronics can make even the scariest bike a big pussycat. Very few downsides to liter bikes these days if you can afford them.

6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Insurance companies probably paid the way for 3D printing with plastics for the amount of money they paid out in 600 super sport plastics that were destroyed in crashes and tip overs. I remember we had only one CBR600F that had never been crashed, that had all its original plastic in excellent shape. The guy bought it when about 19 or 20 then near mid-30s sold it and got a Harley at that point. One out of a couple dozen sold. Some didn't last the summer.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck. Just hope it shows up before 2023 here.
  8. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Initially offered by reservation only...

Wonder if that's just trying to be realistic and meet initial demands given delays they've had with other new products, or it's testing the waters to see if it gets full production runs.
    Chillis likes this.
  9. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So was the Tenere also and that was pre-pandemic. Look how that turned out. :imaposer
    BobcatSig likes this.
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:

So a track version and a street version?

:205
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think that’ll get posted once per page for the next few pages? :hmmmmm
    Chillis likes this.
  12. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  13. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like Yamaha to put these forks and breaks on the Tracer 700 and bring it to Canada please. I'd get rid of my T7.
    duggram, Chillis and pazzo like this.
  14. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No RAM air, and no engine performance gains from the MT-07. So basically a MT-07 with plastics (and the increase insurance costs) and some upgraded suspension components, LCD display.

MT-09 for 400.00 more. For the real world, the MT09 is a much better deal.
    Looks like a good beginner sport bike but the R6 would still eats it's lunch.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people like sporty ergos & styling, and don't want a 110hp triple that constantly urges you to do silly things.

I bet this'll make a great sport tourer too. 55ish mpgs still gives you decent range.
    TonyKZ1, Chillis, Johann and 2 others like this.
  17. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, who wants more power, more comfortable egos, traction control, ABS for 400 more? :clap

Sport tourer? I can think of a lot better bikes for that role.
    LuvPop likes this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me. I test rode a MT09 once and handed the keys back before I did something foolish.

The CP7 is the perfect engine for the real world. I’m super excited about this.

IMU would be nice though.
    MCGMB, Chillis and markk53 like this.
  19. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one should be plenty capable of doing something foolish....
  20. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    $400 more for the base MT-09 with the crappy suspension & no wind protection. $2,000 more for the MT-09SP with "premium KYB & Ohlins suspension."
    Chillis likes this.