1. eNewsletter Sign Up

21 days exploring Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Moto Vaquero, Sep 23, 2013.

1. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    I've put on thousands of miles in Baja, Arizona and Colorado and NEVER had a bib failure.
    Even with all the pavement miles at sustained speeds at or in excess of 70mph in Baja we've never had a failure in our group.

I believe the key to success is in the installation. Lube, Lube, Lube!
    You can not have too much lube on the bib or in the tire.

My garage floor is a complete mess after we do 4 or 5 sets of tires. :nod

Check out this video from Cody Schafer
    Off Road How To: Mousse Bib-Installation With Cody Schafer

When bibs start to get worn we do exactly what Chilly White does in this video.
    [/QUOTE]
    catfish and ktmnate like this.
  2. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Who's that fat fucker in the blue shirt sipping a margarita?

Attached Files:

3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Heck, it took you that long to make a mess? :hmmmmm I managed to make a complete mess of the garage floor and me with EACH mousse addition. :becca I've gotten in a couple of desert rides with my mousses (what is the plural?) and so far so good. I may actually prefer the front tire feedback with a mousse compared to the Tubliss. The back is okay. I'm looking forward to trying the mousse set up in Baja but it will probably be next fall before I can since I'm almost due for my annual northern migration.
  4. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious how you punctured the inner. I carry F & R spare inners but wouldn't be very happy if I had to use one. I was running 12-14 in the front and 13 in the rear, 20 on the asphalt. Except for the last 45 miles from Rumarosa to Mexicali, I tried to hold it down to 60 on any Hwy sections; ran it at 80 on the last stretch, no ill effects or bad behavior. When I changed my shot Baja rear, the inner looked perfect. I've run a ridiculous number of miles without flats using ulta heavy tubes and running 18 lbs, but it was always a bit slippery and the spare tubes, ugh. I did rip a knob off the carcass of a new Dunlop 81 front running 8 psi when I nailed a huge squared off rock obscured in the dust of a guy I was (was being the important word) overtaking. I killed the tire but it held enough air to get me back to the truck a few miles away after I cleaned up my yard sale. I wasn't too happy with Tubliss, but then again, 8 psi, 65mph and the 88-like brick of a rock I hit, my expectation may have been too high. It was nice leaving home my heavy duty spare tubes (5 lbs worth) this last trip. I heard NWT was ridden by a few gys adn it was, for NWT, pretty well marked but I had two riders that could not have made it, marked or not, so I had to pass it up this time through - really a shame since it was actually cool the 10 days I was down. Es la vida. P1000833.JPG
  5. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Yah, I think you're sporting a twelve pack there Mikey along with a few of those yummy Catavina margaritas.
  6. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    We kind of had the same situation regarding No Wimps a couple weeks ago but still want to do it, last time was before hurricane Odile.
    When were you down there ztrab? It must have been recently with the flowers busting out. See any caterpillars?
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I picked up a 1 1/2" roofing nail in a knob - I don't know how long it was there before I hit a rock just wrong and drove it into the high pressure tube. I was running around 8-10 psi front and rear. I usually run 4 psi in the rear but had some highway miles so I upped the pressure.

If you were a professional tracker, you might find it is well marked. For us, it was confusing enough even with gps tracks to follow. rnrdozer did a great job working out our route. Here's a link to my little write up on the trip: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/am-i-a-wimp-baja-trip.1203178/

Hey Moto Vaquero, sorry for the little hijack. But I think this ride report is one of the THE most useful Baja reports ever so it's kind of like a bump and hopefully more inmates will read it.
    ztrab likes this.
  8. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day after Valentines for 10 days.
    I didn't see any caterpillars. The flowers were crazy though. We rolled into Pirates Cove about an hour ahead of an all night rain. Had to pass on several tracks due to flooding and tire sucking mud holes. One of my riders actually had to get pulled out by a big Coke truck an half a block from the hwy in Camalu. It didn't look like he was that deep but it wouldn't budge. Chappala was full, Laguna Hanson was pretty full, especially the west side, there was a lot of standing water but after the big rain, it was cool and near perfect riding. The sand in Calamjue was nicely groomed and fast.
    Moto Vaquero likes this.
  9. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Hola @Moto Vaquero! Thanks for the tracks and the information in this thread. I'm thinking about a Baja trip this winter, so anything I can get is invaluable. What would you say is the maximum distance between fuel stops you've encountered? Trying to decide which tank I need...

Also, I realize it's a big task but it looks like Photobucket nuked all your pics; any chance you might get around to updating the links?
  10. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the long delay, I finally got around to loading all my trip photos to SmugMug since photobucket totally screwed this and many other ride reports up then deleting and transferring each photo individually back on here, ugh...

I would say about 160 miles was the longest between gas availability and I had to scrounge for it a few times. I carried a 1.5ga dromedary bag with me that I used a couple of times then rolled it up and stored it on the OUTSIDE of my gear because it does reek of gas if kept inside a bag.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well MV, that sounds like it was a lot of work but I for one really appreciate it. Such an excellent RR!
    Moto Vaquero likes this.
  12. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad this popped back up. Great ride report!
  13. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Thanks dirtrider! Good to see someone is still reading it.
    PhiSig1071 likes this.
  14. billmaxx97

billmaxx97 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was down there last January and spent around $900 for 3 weeks that got my motels ( never spent over $50/ night max ) Beer Food and gas used my credit card maybe twice
    cochorro and climberevan like this.
  15. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MV,

Had to re-read your thread that someone sent me before my last baja trip to give me some ideas.

Currently planning norte trip 16-23 for a group of 3 of us.

Mind if I pick your brain for some input?
  16. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, whatever info or advice I got is yours. Just don't ask for tracks because my hard drive crashed and took everything with it. So bummed :cry
    Sending you a message for contact.
  17. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    Getting back the tracks you published should be no problem: many of us downloaded them! Thanks for such a fantastic report.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
  18. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, I got em and will send to him. Just need his email.
  19. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, it would be nice to get these back although these were just a fraction of what I lost, aarrgh!
    I sent you my email nmtrialsguy, thank you!
  20. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM me if you want whatever I've got as well.