1. eNewsletter Sign Up

21 days exploring Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Moto Vaquero, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    My hard drive crashed a few months ago too- I had most of my tracks, hundreds of them, on a laptop. A few recent tracks were gone but I had a recovery done and got all of my data and most of my software back. You might give your HD to recovery guru, it was cheap. Ironically my back up drive failed a while back and I forgot. I went to an SSD drive this time and got a cheap 2TB WD Passport to back up new data daily. FWIW.

I will check out recovery guru mostly for the photos lost and some business stuff. I can always make and collect new tracks, that's part of the fun.
    Thanks for the tip.
    ztrab likes this.
  3. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MV,

Thanks for the input and communication. We had a great 7 days of riding with some peculiar mechanical issues (Baja does that) we overcame. Already planning my next trip.
  4. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    I saw your posts in NW Regional, looks like you guys had some nice damp dirt to play in. I'm Jealous!
    Apparently whoever installed the mouse bib tore the bead on your tire, it could have been worse...
  5. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah...could’ve been a bad crash from that. Could’ve been half way through Mine Trail (fantastic trail btw).

That guy had some tough luck. Got in a nice battle with some chollas and lost. Took awhile to get all the needles out and only to discover his front axle nut was missing, pinch bolts loose and axle half way out. And we replaced his front bearings in Catavina.

I need to have him bring his bike to my house so I can go through it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see this bumped up. It's truly one of the great ADV reports.

Starting on 16 Mar I'll be riding through Baja for 3+ weeks. Many of the routes I'm planning are in this report, and I'll try to do one of my own, but it will inevitably be a mere shade of this one.

I'll be camping the entire way & have a good friend joining me as far as La Paz, so we should find ourselves in some great spots. We may try to connect some of the sections that had been blown out offer the last few years since we're fit & gluttons for punishment.

I've been reading about the recent closure of the N entrance of No Wimps, so I've been trying to work out a bypass...if we succeed I'll post some vague references to it, as is the tradition... ;)

Thanks again, MV!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
  7. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Hey Evan, thanks for the kudos!
    Sounds like you are going to make the attempt over the mountain to Mulege. I think it's definitely possible with a bit of work (moving some rocks). After you get around the VW bus sized boulder in your path, (you will know it when you see it) then one more little rock pile you get to the hill and that's where we had to call it and bail back to San Ignacio after a lot of work, it looks like you can get up the right side where I walked up it. You are almost home free after that (I think).
    Also, I suggest NOT taking the circuitous route I took in '13 to El Patrocino via El Datil on the coast, that is a long beater. The direct route is way better and faster.

Yes, please post up how that goes, we will be there 1st week of April.

I think we will have to cancel the No Wimps Trail after RRdozers' intel (from Bill Nichols) about the military blocking that off. I have no idea what they would be doing in that region. Extreme survival training??

Feel free to message me for any info I can help with.
    Have fun
  8. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RE: No Wimps trail

We befriended a chase driver in BoLA last week at Costa Del Sol who was there waiting for 2 riders that were doing No Wimps South to North. At dark, we bid him adieu and hit the sack. I heard 2 bikes roll in around 11pm - 15hrs on the bike.

They shared their report with me over coffee the next morning...bushwhacking for miles upon miles, working around gates, etc... I emailed him a few days ago about this as I have a group of friends that were stopped short of No Wimps with that sign heading S from San Francisquito to see what he did and perhaps, gpx track...Didn't get the track but this is the email response I got:

We did come across that sign! Why do you ask? We may be able to trade some GPS for sure. We came across two of those signs actually but were able to get around them. Had to go through sea of Cortez one of them.

They were pretty nice guys and we ended up doing a short ride with them out of Catavina to the mission and back.

9. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    Good intel mx813, this reaffirms my decision to re-route. Don't mind a long hard day but the signs and gates are another issue.
  10. climberevan

Oddometer:
    Wow...that's very disappointing news. I wonder what section, exactly, the signs & gates are closing off. Is it just the initial parts from SF to El Barril & a little after that? Or, are they way in there where it goes back to the Sea?

I am willing to give it a shot & try to get around that crap, and think I have a re-route figured out that will join up, but I'd sure hate to get several hours in and have to turn around. Fuel is a concern, as always.
  11. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    went on to grab to grab a screen shot of the track where they were turned around. Having never ridden the trail, I do not know the terrain well enough where track 36/37 are.

I'll try to get actual GPS coordinates where that sign is from the group leader.

Attached Files:

12. climberevan

Oddometer:
    Wow...that's much farther along than I would have expected. More re-routing work necessary!
  13. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    The coordinate for point 37 where it looks near where they turned around is 28.2447 -112.9455
    Not that far in, only 6 miles from El Barril.
    It may be tough trying to find a way around that wash. But not impossible :lurk
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very late to this thread, but reading through all 19 pages and following your adventure back then was fantastic for me. My wife and I hit Loreto for our 10th anniversary in Oct '16 and we fell in love with Baja. Have a couple friends who winter down there (HellsAlien is one of 'em) and between them and the various reports I've read here, the bug is buried deep now. Not sure when we'll be able to get down there with our bikes and explore, but we will.

Thank you for fixing all the pictures, imagine that was a pia. One hell of an adventure to travel the up and down the peninsula over 21 days - good on you man :ricky:thumb
  15. brucebeck1911

brucebeck1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Zona Nucleo Eco sensitive area. May explain the gates and signs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  16. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Vigilancia continua =
    continuous monitoring
    Well That Sucks!
  17. brucebeck1911

brucebeck1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Work around will be tough in that area. Maybe between there and El Arco.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  18. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Latitude:28.24292 Longitude:-112.94125

Attached Files:

19. DOKAMOG

DOKAMOG HUSKY 501

Oddometer:
    Hey "Moto Vaquero",
    Excellent ride report!
    I'm planning another trip to Baja this winter and want to explore some different routes.
    I'm very interested in a few of your GPS tracks but it seems the links don't work anymore. Would it be possible for you to send me some of the tracks in a GPX file or something?
    Thanks!

(or anyone else that has saved some of these tracks!)
  20. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    I can get you some of the tracks but beware, this was 5.5 years ago and things change down there. For example, the route from San Ignacio that goes over the mtn to Mulege is a no go now unless you are Graham Jarvis. We attempted it again with solid riders this last spring and were defeated again. In fact it is worse now than after hurricane Odile blew it up in '14.

I will need your email.